Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Who is it acceptable to lose to?

If we lose to a top 4/6/whatever team the moaners complain that we're shit and never going to compete for promotion if we can't beat the better teams in the league. If we lose to someone below the top 6 the moaners complain that we're shit and should be beating 'average/poor teams like this' if we're going to get promotion.

Based on this it seems that we should win...every single game this season if we deserve promotion. And by my calculations we're well off that pace so we're shit.

Being serious for a minute, football doesn't pan out like this. Yes we may have been shit but we've just won 5 games on the trot. That is what this division is like. I'm sure most would have taken 15 points out of 18 without thinking twice. That's just a little bit of perspective without looking into the intricacies of the squad.

It's acceptable to lose to anyone in moderation. I don't mind the occasional defeat to a bottom six team provided we go and beat the rest of them.

EDIT: At least most of the bottom six that is, we don't have to win 11 and lose 1 but I do expect a high points yield when we play the lesser teams.

Vardy is a plank. End of discussion. I'm not joking.

No. Take that off to another thread :P We were 1-0 up, that's a decent position to be in with an hour gone of an away fixture. This was down to more than one person (Pearson included).

I'm in concurrence with Haydos, Alex & Fleckney. We all know people who have the "no defeat is acceptable" mindset, and they're always complete and utter tossbags. (Hint: If you don't know one of these dickheads, you're probably the one in your entourage.)

I understand where you're coming from. The thing that annoys me is that when we do lose, the same people seem to start the 'we arnt good enough to go up' etc threads. Of course, in a way, it is unacceptable to lose to any team but this is football. We won't win every game, we won't play well in every game, but when we've won five on the bounce I think there has to be some consideration. We 'should' be beating teams near the bottom of the league, as we have done (Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City are good examples), but places like London Road are tough to visit.

I'd just not like to see the same reaction after a defeat. Every team in the World won't win every game. Look at Manchester United, I can remember when they lost to Liverpool and then Fulham. They went on to win the league, though.

Anyone can and quite a few have lost to lower placed teams this season and in many seasons in the past, we havnt played that well for a few games recently and we have 'got away' with it, still 2nd and still in th FA cup. So lets get behind Pearson and the team, please..... ;0)

Frankly its acceptable to lose to ANY team in this league IMO. I don't fall for this, 'we're massive and should be beating tin pot teams like x' however tongue in cheek the poster is being. Its the hardest divison to get out of for a reason. We have done well so far this season, but that's down to being there on merit, we didn't get there by just turning up like some of our fans are starting to believe.

I keep expecting us to fall away to the playoffs, whether that's negativity or just a fan managing to keep his feet on the ground I don't know. The realistic part of me is expecting us to lose away to Derby, Cardiff, Palace Brighton, Forest and Blackpool. The same to be said for home games against Watford and Blackburn. Whilst I don't want to be correct in any of those predictions, and it'd be a catastrophe if I were, its not something that's unrealistic, especially knowing LCFC

If it's inevitable that we (or any team) will lose a certain amount of games each season. Then surely it is better to lose those games to lower sides? Despite what that says about the quality of the team etc. If we must lose, I would chose not to lose to rivals for promotion (the so called 6 pointers).

What made this loss even sweeter is the fact that we got away with it. It's another inevitable loss out of the way and no damage was done.

Now lets hope that the team and management use it as a trigger to work even harder to try and stop it happening again any time soon. It's only if it keeps happening over and over that we need to start worrying.

If it's inevitable that we (or any team) will lose a certain amount of games each season. Then surely it is better to lose those games to lower sides? Despite what that says about the quality of the team etc. If we must lose, I would chose not to lose to rivals for promotion (the so called 6 pointers).

What made this loss even sweeter is the fact that we got away with it. It's another inevitable loss out of the way and no damage was done.

Now lets hope that the team and management use it as a trigger to work even harder to try and stop it happening again any time soon. It's only if it keeps happening over and over that we need to start worrying.

Totally agree

Perhaps the OP should clarify which meaning of acceptable they are pointing to.

acceptable adj

1. satisfactory; adequate

2. pleasing; welcome

3. tolerable

It's never the 2nd meaning, it's only the 1st meaning if we are already promoted or if losing to someone means they get Forest/Cov/Derby relegated, and it's the 3rd meaning if it's not happening very often.

Archived