Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Are we the biggest Bridesmaids in Football?

Taken into account we've never won the First Division/Premiership or FA Cup, I believe that we're the biggest Bridesmaids in football. I am also accounting for the fact that we have a relatively large attendance, have spent many seasons in the top flight, played European football competitively and have been involved in four FA Cup Finals and five League Cup finals. What do others think???

Obviously, anybody who's won the top flight title or FA Cup is discounted from any consideration in this topic.

Dunno, personally I don't give a crud about what we did or didn't win 80 years ago. What matters is what we do whilst I've been a fan. In that time I've seen us win two major up competitions and been to Wembley 7 times. I'm content with that (understatement)

Dunno, personally I don't give a crud about what we did or didn't win 80 years ago. What matters is what we do whilst I've been a fan. In that time I've seen us win two major up competitions and been to Wembley 7 times. I'm content with that (understatement)

Great quote!

I have been a city fan as long as i remember and that is what i talk about, not like liverpool fans who talk about crap that happened when they weren't even born!

Cov have one the FA Cup but they're hardly the blushing bride unless it's blushing with embarrassment having spent the last 40 years in the bottom of one league or another.

There's no doubting we're a bit of a nearly team but that's better than a never been involved team.

Really? I do.

I think it's a great shame this club doesn't have an FA Cup or a League Championship to it's name, I think it would be wonderful, I would take an FA Cup over promotion any season, we'll always be an up and down sides between divisions but winning something great is an achievement that can never be taken from you.

What you achieve in life echoes through eternity.

Really? I do.

I think it's a great shame this club doesn't have an FA Cup or a League Championship to it's name, I think it would be wonderful, I would take an FA Cup over promotion any season, we'll always be an up and down sides between divisions but winning something great is an achievement that can never be taken from you.

Me too and I still feel bad about dropping into the third tier and spoiling the only thing of status that we could brag and feel proud about.

Really? I do.

Some book with a line about us winning a cup in 1912 will not be something I think of on my death bed. Being at Hillsborough and Wembley actually experiencing those things is what matters and what I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Not saying you are right or wrong, it's purely personal.

Spain always used to be called the perennial underachievers, in terms of English football I'd say it's us and Newcastle, at least in the last 50 years.

I think 4 cup finals without winning being a record says it all. When I talk about City to other people I'd love to be able to say we won the double in 63 or something. It's a bit of a shitter not being able to say we've won anything of real note (in other countries they know the league and the FA cup but few of them really know what the league cup is).

We've got a decent history, it's more consistent than a lot of clubs of our size (such as certain other clubs in the midlands) but it's very unspectacular.

Hopefully we'll do something special in my lifetime but our chance to win the league has probably been and gone now. On the other hand, you just don't know what football is going to be like in another 50 years.

When you've been an active fan through those FA Cup finals and the League Champion near misses you feel it more but we've still achieved more than most. I guess the Cloughie impact on Derby and Forest has it's effect but then if we had won the Cup or the League in the 60s our fans would probably be using the same sound bites as them 40 years on

I blame the little man from the off licence.

I actually often wonder what a different path City would have followed had we won the double in 63. It could have made no difference in the long run, or maybe we'd have become a dominating force in the 60s and gone from there. We'd certainly have a lot more to brag about.

Considering you've won the League Cup. I'd say you're all talking complete bollocks.

Fulham, Crystal Palace, Swansea, Watford, Wigan, Reading & Hull have never won anything of note.

They are all tradiotionally smaller clubs than us though (and one of them probably will have a trophy in 3 days)

To compare like for like then; Birmingham, Middlesbrough and Norwich. All have had less success than Leicester whilst staking an argument to being a similar sized club.

Birmingham lol You were closer with Palace. I think you should see Boro's crowds as well.

Norwich is a fairer comparison.

This is, for me - why Holloway is the worst manager and Mandaric is the worst chairman we've ever had.

I would say Peter Taylor is the worst ever manager who dismantled every thing good MON did for us and thus the start of the decline.

Pah! If refer you to the Argument settler good Sir! Themstheruleswoo

I may just be going crazy but it looks like this has been miscalculated and Leicester should be 3 places higher than the listed 24th. The formula says that a team gets 1 point for each FA Cup runners up year ........... but look at the spreadsheet attachment and we have been given 0 points in that column!

I guess I'm being petty but 21st looks slightly better than 24th if those 4 points are taken into account........... although still leaves us behind Florist and Direby :-(

Also if it has Leicester's stats wrong then who's saying any of the others are correct?

Pah! If refer you to the Argument settler good Sir! Themstheruleswoo

Who created that? You can talk about that points system, whatever, but I think it's all your own opinion at the end of the day. I don't think everyone has the same definition for 'a big club', which is why if I post who I feel are the biggest clubs outside the top flight, someone else will disagree.

Grrr, argument still raging. Well it was worth a try.

I still maintain that any team with 3 Major Trophies in the cabinet, and long runs in the top flight. Plus, European experience can hardly be described as a bridesmaid. Regardless of perceived stature.

Though 4 FA Cup Finals without a win is pretty grim. With your recent trip to League One it's probably your biggest claim to fame. Embrace the gallows humour. We spent decades as the biggest City never to have a top flight club and it never did us any harm. As far as I know where still the only League Club where you can't colour in any of the letters.

To reach four cup finals and not win any is very disappointing, and obviously not winning the league despite being close a couple of times.

But we've won a few trophies and been in and around the top flight a lot and I'm sure plenty of clubs would swap their history for ours.

Who created that? You can talk about that points system, whatever, but I think it's all your own opinion at the end of the day. I don't think everyone has the same definition for 'a big club', which is why if I post who I feel are the biggest clubs outside the top flight, someone else will disagree.

I made a poll for exactly that;

Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, Us and Brum were the top 5. We were way ahead of Brum though and the rest of us were fairly close, had about 250-ish voters

Archived