Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MATTL94

Leaders vs Inexperience

To start things off, I am a massive Nigel Pearson fan. I believe that what he has done here in both spells at the club deserves knighting, never mind criticism. I liked the 'Never say die' mentality that Pearson imposed on his players in his first reign, and at the start of this season aswell. However, in recent weeks we have been conceding first fairly frequently in games, and whenever we do, our players seem to deflate on the spot, and knock the stuffing right out of us. I was looking at our side when we last made it into the playoffs in 2010, we had experience right through the spine of the team, Starting with Wayne Brown at the heart of the defence, with Club captain Matt Oakley in front of him, and Steve Howard pushing everyone on with his much loved determination up front. We had at least 3 captains/leaders out there every week.

It now seems as though the automatic places may be slipping from our grasp, so I have started to think about the play offs. In 2010, we were 2-0 down at Cardiff in the tie, but played our absolute hearts out to bring it back to 3-2! When we went 2-0 down in the tie, our heads never dropped, if anything it pushed us on, and the 'leaders' came into their own. I was thinking if we went 2-0 down in the play offs this time around, would we have the bottle to bring it back? Everyone is going on about a plan B. You do not need a plan B. 4-4-2 is the most balanced formation, and all of Pearsons' success with us has been whilst employing this 'plan'. I think that it is great, the quantity of young players we have, but we need to have a look in this loan market for some experienced pros, particularly in CM, to push us on for the rest of the season! COYB! Pearson In!

Interesting post. I agree in some respects. I feel schmeichel and in particular big Wes are strong leaders. It's that midfield general / leader that's missing. It's the midfield where we get bossed in some games.

As far as a plan B goes, whilst NP's adherence to his usual formation is admirable, I think 11 defeats in the league suggests the need for a plan B! The lack of turning just 4 of these defeats into draws has cost us.

Can't believe that anyone could put Matt Oakley in the 'roll your sleeves up and rally the troops' bracket.

Average player most of the time for us

I see what you mean though about the lack of leadership and that does worry me.

It's been said before about a physical, ugly midfielder needed in there and I'd have to agree.

I'd happily sit back and stick with this manager and watch us grow over the next couple of seasons - with a bit more time together and a couple of replacements, I not only think we'll go up but stay up as well.

Not sure the owners feel the same ( or my kids for that matter)

To start things off, I am a massive Nigel Pearson fan. I believe that what he has done here in both spells at the club deserves knighting, never mind criticism. I liked the 'Never say die' mentality that Pearson imposed on his players in his first reign, and at the start of this season aswell. However, in recent weeks we have been conceding first fairly frequently in games, and whenever we do, our players seem to deflate on the spot, and knock the stuffing right out of us. I was looking at our side when we last made it into the playoffs in 2010, we had experience right through the spine of the team, Starting with Wayne Brown at the heart of the defence, with Club captain Matt Oakley in front of him, and Steve Howard pushing everyone on with his much loved determination up front. We had at least 3 captains/leaders out there every week.

It now seems as though the automatic places may be slipping from our grasp, so I have started to think about the play offs. In 2010, we were 2-0 down at Cardiff in the tie, but played our absolute hearts out to bring it back to 3-2! When we went 2-0 down in the tie, our heads never dropped, if anything it pushed us on, and the 'leaders' came into their own. I was thinking if we went 2-0 down in the play offs this time around, would we have the bottle to bring it back? Everyone is going on about a plan B. You do not need a plan B. 4-4-2 is the most balanced formation, and all of Pearsons' success with us has been whilst employing this 'plan'. I think that it is great, the quantity of young players we have, but we need to have a look in this loan market for some experienced pros, particularly in CM, to push us on for the rest of the season! COYB! Pearson In!

Hey man good post, I love your positive mind set, You seem to think like me :)

I too think NP has done a great job both times especially when compared with any other manager in the past 10 years, & that's a lot of managers!

I think Schmeichel hates losing more than anyone & I love him for that!

I think in Wes we have an experienced defender & in Nugent, but I agree in the middle we are powderpuff, physically & possibly mentally, but I did like Drinkwater's reaction after losing to POSH on the radio when his frustrations got the better of him & he swore.

I think it's harsh maybe to suggest that our players do not have the mental fight to battle it out in the championship, because even though the Leeds result was not what I'd call a good result, the way that we never gave up & kept going until the very last second & got a point as reward is a real positive to me :)

Leadership has been described as “a process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task"...

Personally wouldn't say Kasper or Nugent are 'leaders'. I think the greatest example of a leader in football is when they carry the team.

:blink:

That's the thing with opinions, everyone has got one!

Yeah, I know. Hence why the game is a great thing, it's good we all have different opinions.

But for me (my opinion), I'd say Kasper is determined and maybe passionate. But would I call him a leader? No. I look around the game of football (past and present), and I think someone who looks determined can be different from somebody who is a leader.

Yeah, I know. Hence why the game is a great thing, it's good we all have different opinions.

But for me (my opinion), I'd say Kasper is determined and maybe passionate. But would I call him a leader? No. I look around the game of football (past and present), and I think someone who looks determined can be different from somebody who is a leader.

I'm not so sure. I think he does have leadership, but it's hard to use the skills of a leader as a GK.

His determination and leadership led to our goal on Tuesday, but obviously he has little opportunity to so that kind of leading usually!

Gerrard is the ultimate leader, with that arse John Terry not far behind. Looking back to the years of Lennon etc, I don't think Lennon was the natural leader, it was more Walsh, Elliot and to some extent Savage.

Going further back mauchlen and Ramsey Borg typified the 'football leader'. Someone who's grit and determination could rouse the fans and the team. We are definitely short of that.

Nuge, Kasper and Wes are great players but they are not leaders, they don't inspire greatness in others.

When our heads drop we need someone to gee the players up, when we become disorganised we need someone to bring us back into shape, when our backs are against the walls we need someone on the pitch to help change the tiempo, to slow the game down and get our foot on it.

Great players can do this, great leaders get the whole team to do it. I have said for a while Wes is not a great captain, he is the best candidate we have, but he is not authoritative enough on the pitch and doesn't take charge on the pitch.

We probably lack the grit we had in the 09/10 season but there's more quality about. Generally we've been quite good at getting the first goal this season and we've only lost once when we've done so, so you argue that we're actually quite a resilient team. Our biggest defeat in the league has been by one goal so that backs up the idea that we don't give in.

We do seem to struggle with comebacks though and while I accept they're very difficult to pull off we may need to do exactly that given that we're not playing well at the moment.

Shouting at the linesman doesn't make Kasper a leader... neither does his desire to improve and one day end up at ManUtd.

His Dad was a leader.

Nugent is a lead by example kind of leader... as is Morgan... totally different to uncontrolled tit that was Mills. But still don't inspire others if heads drop... they just get on with they're (usually awesome) game which can lift others... but it's not a Rio Ferdinand geeing others up kind of leader.

Drinkwater will be when he adds experience to his game, but we're not there for a good while yet

For me, Wellens is still the only true leader in the squad... and his legs of gone, which isn't ideal for our game making him not good enough on the pitch to actually play.

He's constantly pointing out to others where to run, very vocal in his game... constantly gees others up, even down to accompanying Schlupp down the tunnel when he got injured at the shitty ground - shame his legs aren't what they were, because we could do with those runs into the box... and the vocal support for the less experienced lads.

The thing is, we dont know whether we would be have the bottle to turn it around if we got to the playoffs and went two goals down. Because I dont believe we've gone more than one goal down once yet this season. And that has to at some point, work in our favour.

Even though Leicester are going through a rough patch, id be more confident of us beating a team around us in the table, than I am of beating anyone in the bottom half, as odd as that sounds.

The thing is, we dont know whether we would be have the bottle to turn it around if we got to the playoffs and went two goals down. Because I dont believe we've gone more than one goal down once yet this season. And that has to at some point, work in our favour.

Even though Leicester are going through a rough patch, id be more confident of us beating a team around us in the table, than I am of beating anyone in the bottom half, as odd as that sounds.

No odd at all, I'm as worried by Sheff Wed on Satdi as I am Cardiff on Tuesday!

It does make me chuckle how so many people like to prefix their posts with 'Im a massive Pearson fan but...'

Anyhow, I don't think we have a natural leader in the team.

Morgan 'leads' by example but the type of leader I think the team needs (and hasn't had for some time) is someone who is gonna pull the team up by the scruff of its neck when we are losing away to Peterborough and need to get something out of the game.

I don't even think Wellens is enough like this. Perhaps the last one was Wayne Brown... An example of a player who seemed to have a big persona AND Pearson allowed him to use it?

This team, to me, seems full of pleasant young men. I said at the start of the season I wanted to see Pearson sign a 'nasty bloke' so to speak, to lead whilst on the pitch. He didn't.. And I think away from home we have suffered because of it.

Even young Kane looked like a 'little boy lost' in the second half on Tuesday night.

One of the points I made after this game was that non-one seemed to be talking to each other.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit of 'dynamic' between some of the team members to compliment the undoubted talent we have.

I think Nige seems to rule the roost..lock, stock and barrel.

Is this a good thing? Well I guess we'll see come the final shake-up..

Wes isn't a leader.

I disagree. He leads by example. As I mentioned in another thread, the captain doesn't necessarily have to be whoever is shouting the loudest.

Wes is the most professional player in the squad, plays consistently well week-in-week-out and organises our defence which is one of the best in the division.

Can't believe that anyone could put Matt Oakley in the 'roll your sleeves up and rally the troops' bracket.

Average player most of the time for us

I see what you mean though about the lack of leadership and that does worry me.

It's been said before about a physical, ugly midfielder needed in there and I'd have to agree.

I'd happily sit back and stick with this manager and watch us grow over the next couple of seasons - with a bit more time together and a couple of replacements, I not only think we'll go up but stay up as well.

Not sure the owners feel the same ( or my kids for that matter)

Leicester+City+v+Scunthorpe+United+0BsSCQzgGDll.jpg

Actually he did roll his sleeves up...

Matt Oakley was one of the most influential players for us in Pearson's first season at the club. He was the best midfielder in League 1, and always gave 110%. He lead by example, and got the team talking. I can't ever remember him having an 'off game'! Even in the first season under Sven, he had to come in towards the end of the season, and contributed massively to our performances towards the end of that season. If Matt Oakley wasn't a leader for us, particularly in League One, then I do not know the meaning of the word.

When we signed him I thought it would work out well for us.

Did ok in league 1 but so he f in should - he had a squad around him that proved too good for that level and was still on massive wages after coming from the premier only a few months earlier

Back in the championship

Too slow, lightweight, and bottled a lot of challenges

Not our worst signing ever and seems a nice intelligent bloke but to big him up like you've done is wrong

Sorry mate but that's where I am with that midfield general.

Archived