Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Keith Weller and Tights

I saw someone write on Twitter that there's a funny story behind Keith Weller and his choice to wear tights in a match. By logic, I guess the reason was more entertaining than wearing them just because it was cold, perhaps.

Anyone shed any light on this? Did he wear it just for one match? Is the story actually funny?

His verve and his independence apart, Weller ensured an unperishable entry in City's folklore in one of his last matches for them, an FA Cup tie against Norwich City. Aghast at the conditions which had caused the postponement of most of the football programme that icy day in January 1979, he donned a pair of fetching white tights under his shorts, then ignored the inevitable ribaldry from the terraces and scored in his team's 3-0 victory.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/keith-weller-6158038.html

According to my Dad, the rumour was that his wife found them in his glove box and he claimed they were for football.

That's what the Birch said on our latest official history DVD. TBH I didn't think it was right for him to air something like that, especially as he wasn't sure whether it was actually true.

I was there :cool: . Against Norwich in the cup. We were on MOTD that night as most of the other cup ties were called off due to frozen pitches. In the "humorous" closing section of the show they replayed his goal with ballet music in the background.

That's what the Birch said on our latest official history DVD. TBH I didn't think it was right for him to air something like that, especially as he wasn't sure whether it was actually true.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke by the Birch.I can't really imagine any woman under 70 who wasn't suffering from terrible varicose veins wearing tights like that. :D

Top man Kieth had the last laugh as usual.bear in mind everyone wears gloves and undergarments these days keeps the muscules right.

I believe the players often leave after match with skin suits for a few hours to help recovery and circulation.Obviosly in those days few pints down the huntsman did the trick

I was there :cool: . Against Norwich in the cup. We were on MOTD that night as most of the other cup ties were called off due to frozen pitches. In the "humorous" closing section of the show they replayed his goal with ballet music in the background.

Touche Webbo, bloody freezing , wish I'd had tights on :P but as a 16 year old wasn't seen to be the thing to be wearing :D

Guest MattP

Will be classed as a pioneer and champion of tolerance and diversity one day when teams have 3 or 4 transexuals running around the pitch with a pair on.

Will be classed as a pioneer and champion of tolerance and diversity one day when teams have 3 or 4 transexuals running around the pitch with a pair on.

they'd struggle to get into one pair

I was there also, sitting on the wall in the main stand. Keith played a blinder. What a god. At the final whistle I and all the kids on the wall ran on the pitch and made a b-line for him in our wellies!

Archived