Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

Shoot on Sight

Would we like the midfield and strikers to take a few potshots from outside the box?

We know the likes of Knocky, Nugent and Marshall can all create goals out of nothing and when I went to see our dismal display against Wednesday everything was put into the box, only to be safely cleared by their massive center-halves. At some point Andy King was on the edge of the box he had the chance to curl one in but ended up giving a pass with no pace on it and Wednesday cleared their lines.

Obviously it can result in a goal, but if on target and saved it can get the crowd going and the atmosphere up, something posters on FT are saying is severely lacking.

What do you guys think?

I would. Seems to me that leicester have a habit of overplaying and overpassing the ball. There are numerous occasions in every match where a potentially leathal shot could be unleashed from just outside the box. Instead we choose to 9 times out of 10 pass it. Pass it left, then left again, back right, into the corner, back again and then we lose it. Happens so often and its really annoying to watch. Drinkwater is one of the worst for doing it. Fgs just suck it in and have a shot. Fans are more likely to clap you for having a shot and it getting saved/going wide then passing it on and losing it. Same with the crossing. If it gets in the corner, just whip it in and see what happens. Dont try and be clever in the corner and pass it out. Think it boils down to a lack of confidence again.

Simple thought but I think you are spot on we have always been very cautious in our shooting this season, so many times it has been very frustrating Wolves away I remember well when there keeper was absolute crap yet we would not test him other than Koncheskys long range effort. We do need to gamble more you can't just walk in the back of the net

What about Nugent, Wood, Marshall, Knockaert, King, Konchesky, James or De Laet though?

Nah, they have scored from range before, apart from De Laet, but he has enough skill to beat defenders and weave his way into the box, and score from inside.

James we haven't seen much, shooting from him.

The others have proven history.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they try and work it into the box and score that way the crowd will get on their backs when it breaks down. How do you think they'll react if the players sky one from 30 yards?!

Any players worth their money wouldnt be continually skying them from 30 yards though? They are professional footballers at the end of the day. I bet for every 5 potshots a player took, 3 would hit the target or be very close. Thats fine by me. You dont score from working it into the box and then losing it all the time. Its about finding the right balance between the two.

I would like to see more long shots yes, not from Waghorn or Drinkwater though.

..But then when they miss, the crowed will only say "he should have played it here instead" etc. Sometimes, we can't win.

This is what happens when the crowd turn hostile. The players get worried about the abuse they'll get so they don't want to be the one to shoot and miss. They pass it around and eventually lose the chance to shoot anyway. All this team needs is some proper support from minute 1 to minute 90 in every game. The only way to dispel the fear is to remove the cause

This is what happens when the crowd turn hostile. The players get worried about the abuse they'll get so they don't want to be the one to shoot and miss. They pass it around and eventually lose the chance to shoot anyway. All this team needs is some proper support from minute 1 to minute 90 in every game. The only way to dispel the fear is to remove the cause

Massively relevant point for all those saying "I'll shout abuse if I want". Totally agree.

Any players worth their money wouldnt be continually skying them from 30 yards though? They are professional footballers at the end of the day. I bet for every 5 potshots a player took, 3 would hit the target or be very close. Thats fine by me. You dont score from working it into the box and then losing it all the time. Its about finding the right balance between the two.

Have you never seen Martyn Waghorn play football?

Nothing worse for inviting opposition pressure than shooting on sight. It is a complete folly to think as soon as you get within 40yards you need to be thinking about having a pop - the reason those goals are great is because they're rare, the reason they're rare is because they hardly ever come off for an individual. Sure over a weekend of 92 teams playing football you see a few, but when pinpointed to an individual or even a team they don't come off too often.

Saying that, if things opens up in front of you, we haven't poured forward in overwhelming numbers etc - then have a crack!

Archived