Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Don't Go Back...

I keep reading people saying things like "never go back" and "don't tarnish old memories" in relation to both the prospect of O'Neill returning and to the fact that Pearson came back for a second spell and it's such a pointless argument to make for me.

Over the years we have seen people make a return to the club; Paul Dickov, Steve Guppy just off the top of my head. Neither were as good in their second spell as they were in their first spells but it doesn't tarnish the memory of them. We all have the ability to distinguish between the Guppy of the O'Neill era and the Guppy of the Adams one, and neither one affects the other. When I think of Guppy now I remember the pin-point accuracy with which he would frequently land a set-piece on Elliott/Walsh/Taggart's heads, the twisting and turning of a full back and a time when he was one of the best left-footed players in the country, resulting in an England cap. Likewise with Dickov I recall the goals that fired us back into The Premiership rather than the cameo appearances in League One.

The point is that I don't let one spell 'tarnish' the memory of another. Both Guppy and Dickov were incredible for us in their first spells, and both did a job for us in their second. Both, for me, remain players that I was very fond of...

And I think now is an especially important time to remember this. Were Pearson to be sacked (as I think he will be) and O'Neill to come back, if things did not quite go to plan it has absolutely no bearing on what he did during some of the best years this club has had. That's in the history books and the memories are there in my consciousness. No-one can take that away. In fact I would expect that he wouldn't do as well this time around, but that's not to say that we couldn't benefit from having him in charge or that it wouldn't be worth doing were it possible to get him in.

Likewise with Pearson, the man did a fantastic job for us at the lowest point in our history. With minimal fuss he set about halting a decline and re-invigorising our club, giving us a title winning season and a fantastic first season back in The Championship where we were so close to getting to Wembley. So please don't ever forget that and don't discredit that because of anything that's happened in this period that he's been manager.

Ok, so things haven't gone as well as we might have hoped during his second spell here (although only because of the last two months) but I can still see the good that Pearson has done this time around; trimmed the wage bill, built a young and hungry side that has played some of the best football we've seen in recent times and laid the foundations for future success. No-one can argue that we aren't in better shape now than when he arrived, even given the terrible recent form but I think some people are losing sight of that fact alongside the ability to distinguish between his two spells at the club.

I agree, having seen that display at Barnsley today, it may be the time for him to go. Not the end that we hoped for but let's make sure that this is done in the right way. And that way is with no abuse and vitriol for a man who has, previous two months aside, done a lot of good for the club. Just as we all have the ability to remember the Guppys and Dickovs of their original spells, we also have the ability to remember the Nigel Pearson of first time around. And just as Dickov and Guppy offered something in their second spells so has Pearson, even if it doesn't quite match what he achieved first time around.

You have the ability to not tarnish your own memories. It's not something that you can't control, so please, whatever happens in the next few days/weeks/months with Pearson let's not forget the bigger picture. Nigel Pearson will remain a massive part of a good period of our (recent) history.

You do make a very good point, but the sad thing is that a lot of people will remember Pearson with vitriol. I won't, but whenever I think of him I will be reminded of how he isn't very popular with seemingly a large amount of fans. That is the shame for me. It's another era that I can't look back on fondly because it ended in failure and seemed to be riddled with fan negativity. I had high hopes for him, I wanted him to be successful and well remembered, but he won't be.

I could look back on the 08-10 years, but as people keep reminding me, it makes me feel a bit shit that those times are the best I've seen properly.

I don't know whether Martin would be the right man for the job, but I can't see him coming here anyway. If he did want to come, I wouldn't protest because of 'never go back'.

For me, let O'Neills legacy remain in tact. He left us because he thought he'd took us as far as he could. Pearson on the other hand had "unfinished business".

For me, let O'Neills legacy remain in tact. He left us because he thought he'd took us as far as he could. Pearson on the other hand had "unfinished business".

Yes well his " business " is finished now anyway. He should never have come back and I wish he had not.

Although you never know what's round the corner, anybody would think we're out of play off contention altogether already, reading upon everything that's been written since the Barnsley debacle earlier. Although this strange belief is obviously fuelled most of all by our poor performances over the past month or so, even so all is not as lost as most appear to be making out! After all it still remains a league whereby anybody can beat anybody, most teams have players who's form has been up and down more times than a yo yo since January! Even though we've lost some shocking games of late (and were unable to beat both Millwall and Barnsley in four attempts, home and away, losing 3 from 4), we still have an outside chance of the play offs, as unbelievable as that now may seem.

I will admit that I've not been a fan of Pearson's second spell back here particularly and was shocked when Sven was sacked after only one year at the helm but what's done is done and we're still only ONE point shy of the team we play on Saturday -and with a ridiculously positive goal difference still when compared to most of our rivals - and with six? games left to play. Jeeez!

Although you never know what's round the corner, anybody would think we're out of play off contention altogether already, reading upon everything that's been written since the Barnsley debacle earlier. Although this strange belief is obviously fuelled most of all by our poor performances over the past month or so, even so all is not as lost as most appear to be making out! After all it still remains a league whereby anybody can beat anybody, most teams have players who's form has been up and down more times than a yo yo since January! Even though we've lost some shocking games of late (and were unable to beat both Millwall and Barnsley in four attempts, home and away, losing 3 from 4), we still have an outside chance of the play offs, as unbelievable as that now may seem.

I will admit that I've not been a fan of Pearson's second spell back here particularly and was shocked when Sven was sacked after only one year at the helm but what's done is done and we're still only ONE point shy of the team we play on Saturday -and with a ridiculously positive goal difference still when compared to most of our rivals - and with six? games left to play. Jeeez!

Tell you what, if we beat Brighton, I'll chuck my job in and become a dustman.

Tell you what, if we beat Brighton, I'll chuck my job in and become a dustman.

Ooh, Phil Jupitus did that after losing a bet when starring in some film, can't remember which one though! :)

I'd like O'Neill's legacy/reputation to stay where it is as well. But Nigel has done good for this club as well, if he does end up getting sacked, I hope that doesn't ruin his first job here. But I suppose it's up to you who you want to remember - I still remember the Dickov of 2002/03 (my favourite Leicester player) instead of the Dickov that returned.

I feel the same with not going back. Due to high expectations. I think NP is a great manager and hope he is here next year but with the recent run of form it is hard to justify my reasons.

But the only reason I think I can give myself is that,the wheels fell off and they fell off hard. And NP on a few occasions has stated that some individual players aren't performing. To that I think there is a few bad apples in the team and there is a lot of bad feeling in the dressing room. High paid players with high egos.( maybe). But it is down to nige to sort it out as he has supposedly got rid of the deadwood. 12 points off relegation that's how bad this is.

Archived