Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
paulsherwood1

The club can do more for the atmosphere

As someone who has been coming to matches since 1959 at Filbert Street there is a significant difference now to the atmosphere that builds up prior to kick off. When I used to stand on the old Kop the fans would start singing a range of songs that by the time the teams came out had created a great atmosphere. Nowadays that is not possible because the music is so loud, even if the fans wanted to sing and chant, they would not be heard above the sound system. In my opinion I feel if the music played was more suitable to a football match and not as deafening the fans would get a better opportunity to make themselves heard and this would in turn create the atmosphere we all would like to see at the KP. I hasten to add, my days of hearty singing are behind me but I am sure you younger guys could do a good job.

The bottom line is there was a large area at filbert street where fans went who wanted to sing, we dont have that at the walkers unless that changes and a large area is given to fans who want to create an atmosphere it will always be poor.

Nothing else will make a difference.

Make no bones about it.

If we needed to win on Friday to secure a play off spot, and were playing at Filbert St, the ground would have been rammed and rocking.

I suspect the KP won't be a patch on anything I experienced at Filbert St.

Especially if we go one down.

Oh the memories Col lol just think the atmosphere should be electric due to the magnitude of the game :whistle::chant:

The bottom line is there was a large area at filbert street where fans went who wanted to sing, we dont have that at the walkers unless that changes and a large area is given to fans who want to create an atmosphere it will always be poor.

Nothing else will make a difference.

This

The simple answer is the club should stop trying to create a atmosphere and let the fans do it. Start off by turning of that shitty over loud music, stop those stupid kids waving mankey old flags on the pitch and make all families with their bored litle brats sit in one end while the true supporters can sing and swear and generally fvck about .

Modern football has killed the atmosphere not the fans. They wanted football to become like the shitty Americans and make it a family " matchday experience " well they have got what they aimed for and what a piss poor comparison the KP stadium is to the old Filbo.

make all families with their bored litle brats sit in one end while the true supporters can sing and swear and generally fvck about .

It's tricky this one. If you want youngsters to grow up supporting the club, they need to enjoy the experience. When I first started going to Filbert Street (more years ago than I care to remember), I was taken to the kop. When I take my 9 year old, he much prefers the experience of away games. If you're going to insist on him sitting with other kids at the KP where the atmosphere doesn't reach him, he'll stop going.

It's tricky this one. If you want youngsters to grow up supporting the club, they need to enjoy the experience. When I first started going to Filbert Street (more years ago than I care to remember), I was taken to the kop. When I take my 9 year old, he much prefers the experience of away games. If you're going to insist on him sitting with other kids at the KP where the atmosphere doesn't reach him, he'll stop going.

That's fine I presume your not like some of the twat mums and dads who bring their kids into the kop and then have the nerve to complain about the swearing ? The last game I went too, these two little future fox fans who were sat in front of me did nothing but whinge and moan, fight among themselves and turn around and stare at other grownups who were suggesting the ref was illegitimte and blind as a fvcking bat.

As someone who has been coming to matches since 1959 at Filbert Street there is a significant difference now to the atmosphere that builds up prior to kick off. When I used to stand on the old Kop the fans would start singing a range of songs that by the time the teams came out had created a great atmosphere. Nowadays that is not possible because the music is so loud, even if the fans wanted to sing and chant, they would not be heard above the sound system. In my opinion I feel if the music played was more suitable to a football match and not as deafening the fans would get a better opportunity to make themselves heard and this would in turn create the atmosphere we all would like to see at the KP. I hasten to add, my days of hearty singing are behind me but I am sure you younger guys could do a good job.

Jesus, spot on, you almost forget the idea of singing before the players come out. It's so long ago. How things have changed. Yes, used to get the atmosphere really going before the players even came on to the pitch. Remember under Pleat it was often the best time to sing because when the team came out we used to get so depressed after 10minutes as they were so poor we stopped singing. Considering are current crop of players it would probably be a good idea to start singing very early before the reality sinks in.

There has been lots of threads about the atmosphere at the KP. The bottom line is that modern stadia do not have the atmosphere that grounds like filbo could have.... However...

Given the importance of our last few home games I think there is a lot the club could do to help.

1. Promotion this season is the most financially rewarding promotion ever. The club should do whatever it needs to regarding pricing to full the stadium for the final home games. If this means refunding cash to season ticket holders to make up for charging a flat £5 to everyone else, so be it. The revenue from home games is minimal in comparison to promotion revenue.

2. It might be cheesy, but it's effective. Give every supporter a scarf on their seat.

3. Same as above but give everyone a card

To hold up as the teams come out to send a message of support

4. Change the music! Get some tunes that might get the whole ground chomping at the bit!

5. Use the new advertising boards to show fire when the teams come out, alongside using red flares... Create something!

They are five simple points, they may not be the best, they may be full of cheese, but I don't give a rats ass if it helps improve the atmosphere and cheer the team on!

The problem with the scarf idea is, would the club give away 32, 500 scarves or would they just give out as many as we need? It's obvious right, but tickets can be sold minutes before kick off...people would miss out. It works away because the figure is final! I like your enthusiasm and ideas though ;)

Jesus, spot on, you almost forget the idea of singing before the players come out. It's so long ago. How things have changed. Yes, used to get the atmosphere really going before the players even came on to the pitch. Remember under Pleat it was often the best time to sing because when the team came out we used to get so depressed after 10minutes as they were so poor we stopped singing. Considering are current crop of players it would probably be a good idea to start singing very early before the reality sinks in.

Oh the Pleat years, I've only just stopped having therapy lol

Whenever I hear Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You it brings back some great memories of Filbert Street! Would much rather hear this song playing again than Kasabian!

Was absolutely quality when they played that lol! ... In my opinion the atmosphere has been slowly sucked out of the game over recent years with these new health and safety mad stadiums, the real atmosphere was lost when we left Filbo.

Was absolutely quality when they played that lol! ... In my opinion the atmosphere has been slowly sucked out of the game over recent years with these new health and safety mad stadiums, the real atmosphere was lost when we left Filbo.

I don't like the RW song but yes I agree the atmosphere has never been as good since the old Filbo days

Also, some of the new songs we tried to start at Brighton were ineffective because only 10 of us would sing them at a time. On the opposite spectrum, people were singing old kop songs in the same amount of numbers. We either need to join in together, singing old AND new or stick to something. It seems like there is too big of a conflict of interest. Dare I say it, the 'working class game' has become a phenomenon where people are too afraid to get involved, would that be a fair comment?

Plenty of people got in early to claim a decent spot. with reserved seating and concourses there's no reason now to go into the stands, the concourses at the KP are as full as the stands used to be it's simply another side effect of all seater stadiums.

Also, some of the new songs we tried to start at Brighton were ineffective because only 10 of us would sing them at a time. On the opposite spectrum, people were singing old kop songs in the same amount of numbers. We either need to join in together, singing old AND new or stick to something. It seems like there is too big of a conflict of interest. Dare I say it, the 'working class game' has become a phenomenon where people are too afraid to get involved, would that be a fair comment?

It's not really being too afraid. New fans are marketed the game as entertainment rather than a sport, hence why so few see making an atmosphere as the norm.

Won't happen because the holding cells are near the away end, what would make more sense is swapping the Kop with the Family stand.

Would be good having the away fans between the kop and L1

Why ? The Family stand is louder than the Kop

Archived