Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ultimate sign of the decline of the FA Cup

Why the semi finals were moved to Wembley I'll never know.

More money for the FA especially now they have the New Wembley ££££s millstone around their stupid necks.

yeah i just got the same email thought it was a bit random to be honest! Trust me if you wanted tickets to this match you would have them by now! surely only supports of Wigan and Millwall will want to watch this!

If it had been held at a suitably sized and located neutral ground they wouldn't need to be begging neutral fans to fill up the empty seats and I'd like to think the atmosphere would be better.

yeah i just got the same email thought it was a bit random to be honest! Trust me if you wanted tickets to this match you would have them by now! surely only supports of Wigan and Millwall will want to watch this!

This being the problem, bet they haven't sold many.

If it had been held at a suitably sized and located neutral ground they wouldn't need to be begging neutral fans to fill up the empty seats and I'd like to think the atmosphere would be better.

Totally agree Villa park and old trafford used to be great venues for the semi's. Would rather see a 2 legged semi final than it being played at wembley

I totally agree the semis should never have been moved to Wembley.

It rather ruins the specialness of walking up Wembley Way if you do so twice a few weeks apart.

It's hardly like we have a dearth of decent grounds in this country, and it wasn't difficult to predict that 90,000 tickets weren't going to sell for a match between a club infamous for its poor numbers away from home and a Championship club that struggles to get 10,000 through the turnstiles at home.

Villa Park would have been more than adequate for this fixture and much more accessible for the Wigan fans, hardly difficult for the Millwall fans either.

I totally agree the semis should never have been moved to Wembley.

It rather ruins the specialness of walking up Wembley Way if you do so twice a few weeks apart.

It's hardly like we have a dearth of decent grounds in this country, and it wasn't difficult to predict that 90,000 tickets weren't going to sell for a match between a club infamous for its poor numbers away from home and a Championship club that struggles to get 10,000 through the turnstiles at home.

Villa Park would have been more than adequate for this fixture and much more accessible for the Wigan fans, hardly difficult for the Millwall fans either.

Agree completely with all of this, but money talks unfortunately. On a side note, didn't Millwall take 45,000 to Wembley for the League 1 playoff final a couple of years back? Thought they'd have a decent number for this again to be honest.

Guest MattP

Agree with everyone.

The semis were great when they were at Hillsboro, Villa Park etc etc

Need to get them back.

Surprised that utd v chelsea still has tickets left, given their huge bandwagon plastic support.

When they're involved in or have been involved in the champions league they probably see the FA Cup like we tend to view the Johnstone's Paint Trophy a bit twee and beneath them.

When they're involved in or have been involved in the champions league they probably see the FA Cup like we tend to view the Johnstone's Paint Trophy a bit twee and beneath them.

I woul'd have thought that utd v chelsea not selling out (yet) would be a bigger headline grabber than wigan v millwall not selling out because well....duh?

I woul'd have thought that utd v chelsea not selling out (yet) would be a bigger headline grabber than wigan v millwall not selling out because well....duh?

True but the numbers are probably very different and I doubt they'd be able to identify a clear space in the stands to sell to 'non' fans hence no sales pater, no publicity.

Semi's should still be at Villa Park. Middle of the Country, big and good ground.

But Millwall and Blackburn don't have the greatest fanbase, let alone attempting to fill out their Wembley allocations. That is no disrespect at all, because clubs like Millwall and Blackburn are in area's where there are many other big clubs around them that people might want to support instead (London and Lancashire).

But the ultimate decline of the FA Cup for me, was when the final itself was moved from Saturday, 3pm.

oops freudian slip...point still stands though.

I know, but Man United's supposed fanbase is far superior to City's, so there should be no doubts about a sell-out if they were playing.

Chelsea have been to Wembley so often you wonder if the fans are all that bothered about a semi-final though.

I know, but Man United's supposed fanbase is far superior to City's, so there should be no doubts about a sell-out if they were playing.

Chelsea have been to Wembley so often you wonder if the fans are all that bothered about a semi-final though.

That would be a sad state of affairs.

That would be a sad state of affairs.

It would, but Chelsea have played so many games this season, maybe they are risking missing out on this game, hoping they win and attending the final instead.

Heard as well that because its at 5:15 kick off there is no trains back to Wigan.....one thing putting it at Wembley but making it at 5:15 kick off is ridiculous Bit of risk putting Millwall on at 5:15 on a Saturday in London and opening up to 'neutral' supporters. Who have west ham got on Saturday.....

Archived