Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ultimate sign of the decline of the FA Cup

I know, but Man United's supposed fanbase is far superior to City's, so there should be no doubts about a sell-out if they were playing.

Chelsea have been to Wembley so often you wonder if the fans are all that bothered about a semi-final though.

I doubt they do. They think they're above pretty much everything.

The trouble with it being held at Villa or wherever is that it isn't big enough if big clubs compete in the semi-final, and obviously this happens most years, then it won't be anywhere near big enough.

Even if it were us in the semi-final we'd sell out our Wembley allocation meaning that Wembley (or half of it) wouldn't be enough for us. You need a big capacity stadium for most semi-finals and only Wembley, Old Trafford and at a push St James' and The Emirates fit the bill.

On occasions like Millwall v Wigan then yes, Villa Park would be suitable.

The trouble with it being held at Villa or wherever is that it isn't big enough if big clubs compete in the semi-final, and obviously this happens most years, then it won't be anywhere near big enough.

Even if it were us in the semi-final we'd sell out our Wembley allocation meaning that Wembley (or half of it) wouldn't be enough for us. You need a big capacity stadium for most semi-finals and only Wembley, Old Trafford and at a push St James' and The Emirates fit the bill.

On occasions like Millwall v Wigan then yes, Villa Park would be suitable.

Playing at those smaller grounds worked fine for years though. I'd be happy for us to play them at Villa Park, even if that meant we could only have 20,000 tickets.

You don't get half of Wembley these days anyway, I think each team gets about 25K, and the rest is corporate.

Playing at those smaller grounds worked fine for years though. I'd be happy for us to play them at Villa Park, even if that meant we could only have 20,000 tickets.

You don't get half of Wembley these days anyway, I think each team gets about 25K, and the rest is corporate.

If fewer seats were given to the corporate lot, and real fans had 35-40k then I'd have no doubt that SFs should be played at Wembley.

But right now I'm sort of sitting on the fence, I want as many fans as possible to get to the match but Wembley's corporate policy doesn't really allow that to happen. I do like the idea of playing at a club's ground but the ones mentioned just aren't big enough IMO.

What sort of cost are they as well, ridiculous I imagine. I looked at last years play off final prices in case we get there so I have an idea of their likely cost, reckon I'm going to be priced out. I imagine FA Cup tickets are much dearer.

That plus transport costs from Wigan, stupid kick time meaning no trains back to Wigan, a small fanbase (no fault of their own) means they were never going to sell out.

Also why should 'neutrals' pay less than a fan of the club? Maybe those fans that couldn't afford before will now pay for a ticket in the cheaper neutral area.

How are Wigan tinpot? Cos they have no fans? Silly statement to make

Yes. The biggest factor determining the size of a club is their attendances. With such low gates in the PL it's not at all unfair to say they're a relatively small club and I find it rather silly to suggest otherwise - "tinpot" was a deliberate exaggeration to get my point across btw.

I'm sure they used to take the travelling distance for fans into account at neutral venues.

If, for example, the match was between Newcastle and Arsenal the match would be played somewhere like Villa Park so the travelling distance for the two sets of fans would be roughly equidistant.

All of these factors would be taken into account back in the day. It's perfectly conceivable that a semi-final could be played at Villa Park for a match between a Southern and Northern club or between two Midlands sides. Northern sides could play at Eastlands or Old Trafford, maybe even the Millennium Stadium, and semis between two Southern sides could easily be played at the Emirates or Olympic Stadium.

I just think that Wembley should be reserved for the final and the final only. It just makes it so much more special.

How are there no trains back to Wigan after the match? Awful planning. However I'm sure the Virgin London-Manchester service goes til 11 or so every night, couldn't they just get that back and find their way home from Manchester?

How are there no trains back to Wigan after the match? Awful planning. However I'm sure the Virgin London-Manchester service goes til 11 or so every night, couldn't they just get that back and find their way home from Manchester?

Not checked but Virgin put something on twitter about there being no trains back to Wigan, Wigan is on the London-Glasgow/Edinburgh line if that makes a difference.

Not checked but Virgin put something on twitter about there being no trains back to Wigan, Wigan is on the London-Glasgow/Edinburgh line if that makes a difference.

But still could they not get to Manchester? Must be buses/local trains/their cars on to Wigan from there.

But still could they not get to Manchester? Must be buses/local trains/their cars on to Wigan from there.

Possibly, but it's a 3 hour journey to Manchester so will be quite late and imagine local transport would have stopped by then. All could have been avoided with an earlier kick-off.

I bet if they'd have got City or United at Wembley they'd have no trouble selling out :whistle:

The FA are ****** like that though. The year Everton got to the final the two semis were Everton/United and Arsenal/Chelsea (pretty sure). One was Saturday 12.45, the other Sunday at 4. The clever kids at the FA decided it'd be easier for 80,000 people to travel back to the North West at about half 7 on a Sunday than for 80,000 people to walk home to London.

I've just checked out of curiosity and there's only two trains they could get after the final whistle that go to Manchester. However, the last train to Wigan leaves Manchester at 22.54, but the first train that arrives in Manchester pulls in at 22.51, so there's no way that's a practical option especially if there's even a small delay. Plus, even if it was on time, there's no way they could get off the train and to the correct platform in time.

Incredibly poor planning.

Guest MattP

Appalling effort mind.

York took ten thousans to the jpt trophy final last year and that was with the play off final a week after.

Wigan being tinpot and several hundred miles away doesn't exactly help the matter.

The fact the last train

Last one is at 8.20 I read somewhere.

Suspect more will turn up for the final if Wigan get there.

I wonder how many of the 31k from Millwall will be at the New Den the following Tuesday against us?

9k...

Mind you we'd be the same so cannot comment too much!

The fact the last train

Last one is at 8.20 I read somewhere.

Suspect more will turn up for the final if Wigan get there.

I wonder how many of the 31k from Millwall will be at the New Den the following Tuesday against us?

9k...

Mind you we'd be the same so cannot comment too much!

I repeal about 20% of my insult then.

I still think they should do better, if you really are a Wigan fan you get yourself down to that game. Car, coach, bike, your five year old's scooter, whatever method of transport there is available.

I repeal about 20% of my insult then.

I still think they should do better, if you really are a Wigan fan you get yourself down to that game. Car, coach, bike, your five year old's scooter, whatever method of transport there is available.

That's the problem though, most real Wigan fans will be there, 20000 is more than they get usually, there's just not many more of them.

Are Wigan warriors playing Saturday as well? The difference between the fans is not as big as it used to be but it's still a factor.

Archived