Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

224 members have voted

1. 1. Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Stupid poll - close thread!

Yes. Younger, more promising squad with I would suggest a more affordable wage structure and better sell on value. And we've got Wes instead of Matt Mills.

At the moment we're doing as badly as ever but we have seen this team can play better than Sven's team was ever capable of playing.

So, despite the fact we have capitulated worryingly, even with failure this season I think this squad has more potential.

Im still a supporter of Sven, and am convinced that had he stayed we would be better positioned than we currently are. His ability to loan great players such as Naughton, Yakubu and Vitor would have been enough to get us over the line. The thais acted hastily in sacking him (granted Millwall 0-3 was horrendous) and I believe that knee jerk reaction is the only thing that's kept Pearson in his role.

Im still a supporter of Sven, and am convinced that had he stayed we would be better positioned than we currently are. His ability to loan great players such as Naughton, Yakubu and Vitor would have been enough to get us over the line. The thais acted hastily in sacking him (granted Millwall 0-3 was horrendous) and I believe that knee jerk reaction is the only thing that's kept Pearson in his role.

actually Vitor was the only good thing Sousa bought to Leicester

I think so. Squad has been trimmed down and youth'd up and I imagine our wage bill and transfer expenditure are significantly less. As we're in a similar position as well I'd say we have improved overall.

He brought in some very good loan signings, Yakubu, Naughton, Vitor, Mee, Kamara and Fernandes especially all showed that little bit more quality than our proper players.

I was pleased with him at the beginning, but it was the summer he signed Mills and Beckford, it all went wrong from there.

Pearson has done well to get rid of the dead wood, and overpaid w*****s, he has embedded a young squad though, but a lot of his signings have been hit and miss, Morgan of course has been the star, loan signing of Keane has been good business, Knockaert a huge positive, James and De Laet have done well.

But Drinkwater and Marshall, are far too hit and miss, while the signings of Vardy, Futacs, Whitbread haven't turned out well at all.

we never had a spell as bad as this under Sven, the 'big names' looked more likely to achieve than the current nobodies, we got more press and the only qauality players we have other than Wes were brought in by Sven.

The board screwed up and they should not be allowed to forget it - the post that said the only reason Nige has a job was because of the knee jerk screw up is spot on. Clueless board, clueless manager and it seems clueless fans in the main. Still, we live in hope that at least two of those can change

I agree gazfox. I'm really not convinced by the player for player comparison earlier in this thread. King was here when Sven was, wasn't he? And no mention of Bamba? Yak? Naughton? Gelson? van Arnholt? Abe? And Kasper, Nuge and Konchesky were Sven signings weren't they?

Sven is a class above Pearson as a manger in my view and I am sure would have taken us up, if not last season then this. Pearson didn't like the squad inherited and so set about rebuilding it. However that doesn't necessarily mean it was no good. As I recall we were only a couple of points off the play offs when Sven went. We'd just stuffed Derby 4-0 and beaten Brighton and Southampton when they'd been top of the league. Yes, we'd lost to Bristol and Reading but it was early in the season and the team needed to bed down. However there was enough promise in my eyes to hold the line but the owners weren't inclined to, for whatever reason. For every Morgan and De Leat etc there's a Vardy and Futacs. Was Vassell really not a more effective striker in his time here than those two? And Pearson's record loanees is just as checkered. Yes, Keane's worked out but Lingaard? Clifford? Kane? What impact really have those lads had? More than Naughton, Brumer and Yak?

Sven spent lots and gave players big wages, Pearsons spent just over a million and got players on cheaper wages who will improve and will sell for more or be a success at the club.

Wood alone was £1.25m, rising to £2m with appearances etc.

I agree gazfox. I'm really not convinced by the player for player comparison earlier in this thread. King was here when Sven was, wasn't he? And no mention of Bamba? Yak? Naughton? Gelson? van Arnholt? Abe? And Kasper, Nuge and Konchesky were Sven signings weren't they?

Sven is a class above Pearson as a manger in my view and I am sure would have taken us up, if not last season then this. Pearson didn't like the squad inherited and so set about rebuilding it. However that doesn't necessarily mean it was no good. As I recall we were only a couple of points off the play offs when Sven went. We'd just stuffed Derby 4-0 and beaten Brighton and Southampton when they'd been top of the league. Yes, we'd lost to Bristol and Reading but it was early in the season and the team needed to bed down. However there was enough promise in my eyes to hold the line but the owners weren't inclined to, for whatever reason. For every Morgan and De Leat etc there's a Vardy and Futacs. Was Vassell really not a more effective striker in his time here than those two? And Pearson's record loanees is just as checkered. Yes, Keane's worked out but Lingaard? Clifford? Kane? What impact really have those lads had? More than Naughton, Brumer and Yak?

You're being selective with the results you mention. We lost to Bristol City and Reading earlier in the season but just before he was sacked we lost to Birmingham and Millwall in two shocking displays. The 2 good performances you mention (we were battered by Southampton and Schmeichel's goalkeeping won it for us almost single-handedly) were pretty much our only decent ones in that season up until he was sacked.

I saw no sign of us improving when he went and a couple of good performances which we failed to build on doesn't cut the mustard as a decent argument.

Sven's permanent signings were very questionnable and even his loan ones were as inconsistent as you make Pearson's out to be. Whilst Naughton and Yakubu were successful (even Yakubu was costly in his inconsistency, but I'll be kind and give him that) he also brought in huge failures such as Bednar, Bruma (I can't understand why you think he was success, he was a woeful centre back regardless of his potential) Ricardo, Kirkland and Van Aanholt as well as inconsistent players at best like Cunningham and Davies, who didn't last half a season.

As for Nugent and Schmeichel well they were exceptions, I consider Mills, Danns and Fernandes failures in the permanent market.

If you look at that season with all the loans (something you claim to be a reason we'd have gone up), similar to this one at times, we went on a great run and looked superb but in hindsight we were always vulnerable and when we hit a snag we never recovered and finished a tame 10th.

So all in all, I've no idea why anyone thought we were progressing when Sven was sacked.

we have seen this team can play better than Sven's team was ever capable of playing.

Voted yes but I don't agree with this. There were a few brilliant performances under Sven that were every bit as good as our best performances under Pearson. I'm no Sven fan either but never did we look as bad under Sven as we do now.

I think we have less natural talent now than we did under Sven, but we do have players with much better attitudes. Our performances overall have been no better, and we're not in a much better position in the league. So in footballing terms we're no better off.

Financially, however, we've been completely transformed for the better, much to Pearson's credit. And that is only going to get more important in the next few years due to the enforced immobility regulations coming into play.

Totally agree with all of that. we'll never know how it may have turned out, but I've thought ever since we sacked Sven we've missed a huge opportunity and took an enourmous step backwards with NP.

Voted yes but I don't agree with this. There were a few brilliant performances under Sven that were every bit as good as our best performances under Pearson. I'm no Sven fan either but never did we look as bad under Sven as we do now.

I think we have less natural talent now than we did under Sven, but we do have players with much better attitudes. Our performances overall have been no better, and we're not in a much better position in the league. So in footballing terms we're no better off.

Financially, however, we've been completely transformed for the better, much to Pearson's credit. And that is only going to get more important in the next few years due to the enforced immobility regulations coming into play.

Not in his second season. Yes in his first season when King and Wellens were in the form of their life and we had a team otherwise massively made up of loans who were inconsistent or would never stay.

The Derby game when we beat them 4-0 was a good display (though very rare) but I've seen better performances this season, easily, and I've not seen many games.

Totally agree with all of that. we'll never know how it may have turned out, but I've thought ever since we sacked Sven we've missed a huge opportunity and took an enourmous step backwards with NP.

But statistics say we've taken steps forward, so that's a bizarre view to have. For example, we've actually ventured into the top 6 with Pearson and we've actually been there for most of the season, we never once entered it under Sven.

I never saw any promise, statistically or otherwise, in the team that Sven built (not loaned) so I'm really not sure where youre coming from.

Archived