Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

224 members have voted

1. 1. Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Stupid poll - close thread!

So a draw away at Cardiff is classed instantly as you are one of the worst teams in the league? Nice logic.

on that basis Peterborough are best team in league having beaten Cardiff twice which shows how weak league is and we have lost a third and only I think beaten Huddersfield and Bristol City twice . having not beaten any of the teams left to play.

from when to when??

i'm no sven fan, i think his reign was a disaster, with some average players on bloated wages (maybe not his fault as he has argued in the press). i just don't think np is much better either. np strikes me as a manager who can do well with a small budget, but can't handle bigger budgets or better players. ultimately neither of them are capable of getting us promoted. but np will get us more financially sound.

I'm going for you are just obtuse rather than stupid.

Firstly, you are the one who deiced to remove all our wins. A sequence from the start of the season to the 9th Feb is not a random sequence, it's over 50% of the games. You can fill in the blanks yourself, but the key being it's over 50% of the games.

Secondly, it was not me who decided that all draws come under the classification of "worst team in the league" that was your chum. The Cardiff example was there to highlight the rather large flaw in that argument, which I'm sure he knew about but you clearly can't see.

Seeing as performances are actually in the eye of the beholder. Lets go off results and say a win is good, a draw average and a loss bad. 17 good, 15 bad and 10 average. Does not equal worst team in the league 75% of the time, or even 50% of the time.

Not sure it's me that's obtuse or stupid baby .... you've got your posters mixed up - I didn't say any of that!!!!!!!

If we have 1 point less than the same stage last season it is hard to argue that we have made any real progress on the pitch considering we have still invested heavily in the squad compared to most in this division. 1m for Vardy over 1m for wood isn't Knockeart supposed to be over 1m ? James and De Laet another mill. The whole aim this season was promotion if you get that the books will balance themselves, if the aim was to balance the books we would have been playing Moore and Schlupp instead of messing them about and utilising what we had with Waghorn and not throwing millions about still and claiming to be cutting costs.

To me it dosnt really matter that we have a 'better' squad now, unless we make those 8 points up Sven achived more in his full year than Pearson has, end of.

This is despite the fact he never had us even close to troubling the playoff places in his entire time here? I'd say Pearson's already done better than Sven.

This is despite the fact he never had us even close to troubling the playoff places in his entire time here? I'd say Pearson's already done better than Sven.

This is because you can bask in the glory of mid season positions in the table - most City fans see this league as beneath us and finishing outside the top 2 as a failure. What matters is the end of the season - Sven never had a full season here so we will never know, doesn't matter how much you want to believe he did and failed, he didn't - took us off the bottom when Niges team of the year before returned to true form and got 13 games with his new team, less with a nu,ber of signings. 13 games in which he got over twice as many points from a new team as Nige has got in 13 games with his signings - after a previous 30 this season and about 30 last season to get it right. He hasn't, get over it

This is because you can bask in the glory of mid season positions in the table - most City fans see this league as beneath us and finishing outside the top 2 as a failure. What matters is the end of the season - Sven never had a full season here so we will never know, doesn't matter how much you want to believe he did and failed, he didn't - took us off the bottom when Niges team of the year before returned to true form and got 13 games with his new team, less with a nu,ber of signings. 13 games in which he got over twice as many points from a new team as Nige has got in 13 games with his signings - after a previous 30 this season and about 30 last season to get it right. He hasn't, get over it

Sorry, just to repeat - how many times were we in the playoffs under Sven again? Oh that's right - never. Despite having possibly the biggest playing budget of any Leicester manager EVER. And if the end of the season is all that matters, Sven finished his first season here outside of the playoffs and bottled getting into them numerous times during that season. Failure.

For someone who lambasts anyone who dares to stick up for NP, you've got your tongue pretty far up Sven's backside and he was an even bigger failure than Pearson.

This just isn't true.

We'd have been 5th had we won that home game against Millwall which led to his sacking.

I think we were 2 points off 7th as well when we lost away at Cardiff back in 2010/11. So to say we were "never close" is just making things up. Also, Sven had the enormous disadvantage of not getting a 42 game crack at a season when everybody started on 0. I'm sure if you took the data from when he took over to the end of February 2011, we'd have been near the top of the league (I've just checked we'd be 3rd). You might argue that that is just an arbitrary selection of dates, but ultimately so is any table which doesn't show the final standings.

I liked Sven, I like Pearson. I think they both did/have done ok but should have done much better with the resources at our disposal.

What is apparent is that the two have very similar records over their Championship careers with City. Undoubtedly we progressed under Sven - we were 2 points off the play-offs when he was sacked having been 22nd when he took over. Under Pearson you have to wonder. We were 2 points off the play-offs when he took over. Today we're 2 points off the play-offs.

For all the great football we played under Sven from December 2010 to February 2011, in the end he got fired because it was apparent that we had abandoned that philosophy in favour of a more negative style that was producing worse results.

For Sven 2010/11, read Pearson 2012/13. I still maintain Sven was sacked too early, but Pearson can certainly consider himself lucky to be in a job given the precedent set.

But I don't think there's anybody out there I'd rather have. In fact, if somebody else was manager and was being sacked, Pearson is exactly the sort of manager I'd want us to go after. Ambitious, level-headed and driven, with a preference for team-building over star names.

For that reason I'd give him another go next season. But that doesn't mean that we're in a better position than when Sven was fired.

This just isn't true.

We'd have been 5th had we won that home game against Millwall which led to his sacking.

I think we were 2 points off 7th as well when we lost away at Cardiff back in 2010/11. So to say we were "never close" is just making things up. Also, Sven had the enormous disadvantage of not getting a 42 game crack at a season when everybody started on 0. I'm sure if you took the data from when he took over to the end of February 2011, we'd have been near the top of the league (I've just checked we'd be 3rd). You might argue that that is just an arbitrary selection of dates, but ultimately so is any table which doesn't show the final standings.

Fair enough, but the fact is that every time we got close to the playoffs we completely bottled it under Sven and we never looked like a team that had the mental strength or the quality to compete with the best teams in this league once we got anywhere near the top end of the table. His start to the season with hsi assembled squad of mercenaries was also absolutely disgraceful considering the amount of money we shelled out during the summer, which we'll still be paying for over the next few years with absolutely nothing to show for it. At least under Pearson in the Championship we've always been a team who's either been in the playoffs or been competing to get into the playoffs, Under Sven we were always on the outside looking in and that's indisputable.

I don't particularly think either have done a very good job considering the resources available to them, but when posters like Seenitall come on here and absolutely murder anyone who supports Pearson while his tongue is so far up SGEs arse that it must be lodged somewhere in his small intestine, then I like to point out that if Pearson's done a shit job here, then what kind of job did Sven do? A ****ing piss poor one.

Can you stop trying to reinvent history please with your bullshit about Pearsons team returning to true form. Their true form was what they showed under Pearson not anyone else, where we won league one and got in to the play offs end of story.

These apparently rubbish players included players cast aside Fryatt, Hobbs, Morrison, Kermit. Hobbs went on to have a better defensive record at Hull than any of the crud signed to replaces him. Fryatt out scored both Nugent and Beckford and only the other day you were crowing about the Charlton team that contains two players cast aside after Pearson left.

Sven then decided to hand long contracts to King, Wellens, Dyer, Gallagher, Schlupp. If they were so bad why did your brilliant Sven hand them new contracts? And if Svens replacements were great why did those cast aside go on to better them elsewhere? And why are you crowing about a Charlton side who have two cast offs as cornerstones of their team.

Fair enough, but the fact is that every time we got close to the playoffs we completely bottled it under Sven and we never looked like a team that had the mental strength or the quality to compete with the best teams in this league once we got anywhere near the top end of the table. His start to the season with hsi assembled squad of mercenaries was also absolutely disgraceful considering the amount of money we shelled out during the summer, which we'll still be paying for over the next few years with absolutely nothing to show for it. At least under Pearson in the Championship we've always been a team who's either been in the playoffs or been competing to get into the playoffs, Under Sven we were always on the outside looking in and that's indisputable.

I don't particularly think either have done a very good job considering the resources available to them, but when posters like Seenitall come on here and absolutely murder anyone who supports Pearson while his tongue is so far up SGEs arse that it must be lodged somewhere in his small intestine, then I like to point out that if Pearson's done a shit job here, then what kind of job did Sven do? A ****ing piss poor one.

But you still are fine with lambasting Sven for a 19 from 13 run which would have given us 67 points that season (which is about all we got) yet love Nige for achieving possibly less this season after a full season in charge - and I will lay this on your admittedly young and perhaps slow to react brain one more time.

The point I make is not that Sven was great - he was fired too early by a naive board who couldn't replace him, panicked and brought back someone who might appease the fans (it worked with you!) and have stuck with him despite his apparent lack of ability. I have no faith in their ability to make the right decision next either and so I say it again - we are the play thing of a rich boy who is learning (a bit too slowly) what it takes to run a football club. Nige is just one of several high profile and costly mistakes and while I am sure the owners intentions are honourable, their skill i appointing a board is woeful and therefore I cannot see any change coming soon to the benefit of the club.

You can swallow every bit of bullshit they force feed you but they are wrong, the team is poor and and the manager is out of his depth - this run doesn't make me believe any of those facts less but as long as you are happy and another 15,000 mugs buy into it next year without a murmur it will continue.

And stop being so rude

Can you stop trying to reinvent history please with your bullshit about Pearsons team returning to true form. Their true form was what they showed under Pearson not anyone else, where we won league one and got in to the play offs end of story.

These apparently rubbish players included players cast aside Fryatt, Hobbs, Morrison, Kermit. Hobbs went on to have a better defensive record at Hull than any of the crud signed to replaces him. Fryatt out scored both Nugent and Beckford and only the other day you were crowing about the Charlton team that contains two players cast aside after Pearson left.

Sven then decided to hand long contracts to King, Wellens, Dyer, Gallagher, Schlupp. If they were so bad why did your brilliant Sven hand them new contracts? And if Svens replacements were great why did those cast aside go on to better them elsewhere? And why are you crowing about a Charlton side who have two cast offs as cornerstones of their team.

I agree, but if you grant Seenitall that he's right to say that the first squad NP built here was shite, then surely getting them to within a whisker of the play-off final is a pretty big achievement?

I'll never understand his point of view. It makes no sense.

I can understand people taking a dislike to NP, whether it's because of his personality or the unexciting tactics from his first spell and recently, but I just can't see how anyone could rate Sven higher than him based on their spells here. NP won us a title in his first season here and got us in the play-offs straight after when most of us were expecting a lot less, all with a modest budget. All Sven did was blow a fortune, something that we will feel the effects of for years yet, and keep us out the top 6 for a whole year.

There's no denying that the current run of form is shite, but we've seen what the current squad can do. Some of the performances earlier this season were top notch, and we've been in the top 6 for the vast majority of the season. With a bit more experience or a couple of tweaks, this could easily be the next PL Leicester side. The team Sven borrowed looked alright. The one he bought was pretty gash.

I agree, but if you grant Seenitall that he's right to say that the first squad NP built here was shite, then surely getting them to within a whisker of the play-off final is a pretty big achievement?

I'll never understand his point of view. It makes no sense.

I can understand people taking a dislike to NP, whether it's because of his personality or the unexciting tactics from his first spell and recently, but I just can't see how anyone could rate Sven higher than him based on their spells here. NP won us a title in his first season here and got us in the play-offs straight after when most of us were expecting a lot less, all with a modest budget. All Sven did was blow a fortune, something that we will feel the effects of for years yet, and keep us out the top 6 for a whole year.

There's no denying that the current run of form is shite, but we've seen what the current squad can do. Some of the performances earlier this season were top notch, and we've been in the top 6 for the vast majority of the season. With a bit more experience or a couple of tweaks, this could easily be the next PL Leicester side. The team Sven borrowed looked alright. The one he bought was pretty gash.

A bit more experience? A couple of tweaks - mate, you would need at least 15 new players to add to the three quality ones we already have to tweak your way out of this mediocrity

A bit more experience? A couple of tweaks - mate, you would need at least 15 new players to add to the three quality ones we already have to tweak your way out of this mediocrity

We've lost two games more than Hull who are way clear in second. We haven't been much less shocking than they have if you look at losses. What they have done that we haven't is convert tight games into wins rather than draws. Highlighted by the games against Cardiff, Brighton, Birmingham just of late.

The thing about Sven is he had no clue about the Championship. He's a "trophy" manager - "hey we got someone the national press have heard of as our manager not some ex pro from the lower divisions who's done his coaching badges. That makes us better than you" That gets you so far, players like Yakubu, Konch, Nugent, Schmeichel, Fernandes come on board sensing that playing for a manager with an international reputation like Sven's will be good on their CV. But you also get the kind of player who thinks their rightful place is in the Premiership and who, when they realise that's not happening soon, can't really be bothered. When things go wrong they're looking for someone else, somewhere else to get them their just deserts. You don't get loyalty from such players. You don't get solid Championship professionals like Wes Morgan from a manager like Sven. Players who might make the Premiership upgrade and who might not. But who will give you an honest performance every time (Kasper might be on exception). You get players from a limited number of clubs (look at the ex Man City-ites, Chelsea loanees and ex England squad members he signed). You spend months of a whole close season chasing a series of unobtainable strikers (eg Jelavic) and end up with Jermaine Beckford on the last day of the transfer window - someone you might have got on day one. You get players whose value to a squad facing a 46-game Championship season with few easy opponents, cannot possibly have been calculated with any kind of precision (I give you Bednar, the attempts to sign Miller, Ball, Johnson, that Portugese keeper) and loan deals which are impossibly one-sided and disrupt the squad (take the Bruma deal). You get a manager who, in all truth has no idea of the difference between Burnley, Barnsley or Blackpool, who is simply relying on using financial musclwe to buy better players, better coached players, than any of his rivals. Unfortunately many of them are not prepared to put in the hard work that it takes to secure promotion from this division.

Can you remember as far back as the end of January?

I stand by what I said - the squad's not far from being good enough to win the title.

Fifteen players? Two or three, more like. Who do you think are the three quality players we have?

It is a shite run, but promotion is still in our hands, so doesn't that tell you anything about how we were doing not very long ago?

But you still are fine with lambasting Sven for a 19 from 13 run which would have given us 67 points that season (which is about all we got) yet love Nige for achieving possibly less this season after a full season in charge - and I will lay this on your admittedly young and perhaps slow to react brain one more time.

I've never said that I love Pearson, I've simply supported him whilst he was doing a good job. If you can find any posts from me defending him for this catastrohpic run we've been on since January, then please point them out - because I haven't.

I think our form since the end of January has been a disgrace and if we don't make playoffs as a minimum, he should be sacked. When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do? And yes, I was a big supporter before this run because for almost the entire season we'd been in the playoffs and challenging for automatic promotion at some points. And I will still support the manager until he is sacked - like I have done with every other manager of this club. It's easy for you to paint everyone who doesnt' slag off Pearson or want him immediately sacked as a 'happy clapper' or a 'Pearson bummer' - the truth is, some of us are more pragmatic. If the board were going to sack Pearson then they should have done it before the international break and gotten in a new manager asap to work with the players. There's no point in sacking him with about 4 games to go, with no-one lined up and a bunch of absolutely desperately shite names on the shortlist.

The thing that pisses me off most about you is your complete double standards. Nigel is a failure for not getting us into the top two, but Sven isn't a failure even though we were never in the top 6. Sven isn't a failure for not getting us into the playoffs because he took over a shit team, but Pearson is a failure for not getting us into the playoffs last season.

I can accept your blind, irrational vendetta against Nigel Pearson, even if I do think it's absolutely bizarre, what I can't accept is your love for a manager who isn't even here anymore and achieved precisely NOTHING at this club, leaving us with an absolute mountain of debt. Sven Goran Errikson is one of the biggest conmen in football and he's got you, hook, line and sinker.

took us off the bottom when Niges team of the year before returned to true form

Pearson was a ****ing miracle worker to get a team whose true form is bottom of the league to 5th place.

Should be given the freedom of the place for getting a team 19 places higher than it should've been on true form.

Pearson was a ****ing miracle worker to get a team whose true form is bottom of the league to 5th place.

Should be given the freedom of the place for getting a team 19 places higher than it should've been on true form.

If he only he could still work miracles I would love him now as I did then.......BUT.....

Archived