Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

224 members have voted

1. 1. Are we in a better position than when Sven was fired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Stupid poll - close thread!

Im still a supporter of Sven, and am convinced that had he stayed we would be better positioned than we currently are. His ability to loan great players such as Naughton, Yakubu and Vitor would have been enough to get us over the line. The thais acted hastily in sacking him (granted Millwall 0-3 was horrendous) and I believe that knee jerk reaction is the only thing that's kept Pearson in his role.

His ability to loan? You mean his ability to pay £1m loan fees and £50k+ in wages.

Our squad last season was better than this seasons squad.

And yet not once did they look capable of even troubling the top 6.

I think you are the one missing the point. This is about football, not balancing the books.

It's about both, otherwise you end up like Portsmouth.

I think you are the one missing the point. This is about football, not balancing the books.

Fine, if it's about football then yes, we were much worse off under Sven, who didn't have us in the top 6 once during his entire time here - completely and utterly unnacceptable.

Not bothered about affordability, don't care about quality-just want promotion!

Not bothered about affordability? That's the attitude that got Portsmouth where they are.

Do you have the same cavalier attitude to your personal finances as well?

You'd soon find yourself homeless and penniless

I still hope he can somehow pull it out of the bag.

I fear the only thing he shall be pulling out of his bag is his P45 in a months time.

Having said that, expect the unexpected... we'll probably win all four just to prolong the agony.

Maybe, in some areas.

Hopefully next season we'll have the right man in charge, leading us to promotion, and we can forget all about Sven, Pearson, Sousa etc and enjoy what he brings to our club.

Maybe, in some areas.

Hopefully next season we'll have the right man in charge, leading us to promotion, and we can forget all about Sven, Pearson, Sousa etc and enjoy what he brings to our club.

Or we get someone else and slide even further.

Or we get someone else and slide even further.

I don't think we will. We have the basis of a good squad, we need to get rid of some of the high earners and those who aren't good enough and try to get players in on the cheap (which is possible, there are talented players lower down). They have shown they can play entertaining football, we just need someone who will preach it all season.

I still don't think Pearson is on his way out, promotion or not.

I think he's here next season too.

Whilst he's done his best to wreck any faith I had in him since the end of Jan, I have always said I would like to see a manager to be given years to create their team. Would be exceptionally brave maybe even stupid of the owners. But interesting to see nonetheless, if the theory behind someone needing time to build would play out as people have often said.

Or they will wait to the end of the season or when it is mathematically impossible to get promotion then get rid of NP perhaps?

Rumours have it that he has a clause in his contract which means we have pay him off big money if we sack him now when it is still mathematically possible to make the playoffs.

When the mathematics allow it that we cannot make the playoffs will go then imo.

Sven spent lots and gave players big wages, Pearsons spent just over a million and got players on cheaper wages who will improve and will sell for more or be a success at the club.

How did he give players big wages? I'm sure it wasn't him who drawn up the contracts and negotiated the wages? The problem with the kids Pearson has signed is are they going to be anygood when he leaves? Some will be able to play under a different manager/system some wont, the 1s that can't adapt will be seen as worthless and be sold for peanuts.

How did he give players big wages? I'm sure it wasn't him who drawn up the contracts and negotiated the wages?

He chose the players and chose players who were not going to be cheap, he also chose which players to offer new contracts to. It's the opinion of quite a few that a manager should have insight onto what all of his players earn for various reasons.

How did he give players big wages? I'm sure it wasn't him who drawn up the contracts and negotiated the wages? The problem with the kids Pearson has signed is are they going to be anygood when he leaves? Some will be able to play under a different manager/system some wont, the 1s that can't adapt will be seen as worthless and be sold for peanuts.

It was Sven who targeted and picked who he wanted, basically named players that would demand big wages, so yes it was Sven's doing. Pearson had more of a hard job here by reducing the wage bill, offloading players that Sven bought in and build his own team, young players on much lower wages.

actually Vitor was the only good thing Sousa bought to Leicester

I'd argue that Abe was a good signing as well. Would still be here if it wasn't for the 2011 earthquake, though it's perfectly understandable since his family was caught up in it.

The division this year on the whole is shit. Not one team has really stood out. Cardiff have won it but over the two games against us, did they really look like Champions? I've seen them in a couple of other games and they've been dire every time.

It was there for the taking and I think we were a couple of squad members short of challenging this year. Is that down to NP? Absolutely. Should he get another season? Looking at the last 13 games, no fvcking way. Looking at the last 5 years of chop and change and the lack of success that has brought, yes.

The division this year on the whole is shit. Not one team has really stood out. Cardiff have won it but over the two games against us, did they really look like Champions? I've seen them in a couple of other games and they've been dire every time.

It was there for the taking and I think we were a couple of squad members short of challenging this year. Is that down to NP? Absolutely. Should he get another season? Looking at the last 13 games, no fvcking way. Looking at the last 5 years of chop and change and the lack of success that has brought, yes.

Good post.

This season more than any in recent memory has been so wide open that if we could have maintained momentum it's possible/probable that we would have already been up. So we've missed a trick there.

I also agree (as I said at the start of the season) that I felt we were a couple of QUALITY squad members short, especially in the midfield where we have been lacking the most this season.

I finally agree with you that we should stick with Pearson if we want this mythical beast that is 'consistency'. However, I wouldn't be overly bothered to see a better replacement.

Again, good post.

Good post.

This season more than any in recent memory has been so wide open that if we could have maintained momentum it's possible/probable that we would have already been up. So we've missed a trick there.

I also agree (as I said at the start of the season) that I felt we were a couple of QUALITY squad members short, especially in the midfield where we have been lacking the most this season.

I finally agree with you that we should stick with Pearson if we want this mythical beast that is 'consistency'. However, I wouldn't be overly bothered to see a better replacement.

Again, good post.

I think James has been a big miss, you look at the games he plays and the results and I think I am right in saying there is definitely an upturn in points compared to when he's not in the team.

Archived