Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Play off myths / historical results

Whatever. Another "spun" article. I wonder if the patterns are the same if you go back to the 1970's, when penalties were first introduced.

The BBC are showing their bias again - every other championship article at the moment is about Zola and his motley crew. Their beloved Leeds are floundering, so they're backing the "colourful" manager. I bet they're foaming at the mouth at the prospect of a Zola-Poyet reunion at Wembley up in Salford, and I hope we send them home crying.

NIGEL PEARSON'S HIGH RISK UNDERDOGS :ph34r:

Here's my stats for you, we have made the play-offs 5 times before this season, 4 times I have seen that end in a Trip to Wembley.

Of those 4 trips we have had 2 wins, not to bad.

Our only fall at the semi final stage was on penalties, couldn't have been much closer (bar and away goal rule).

What matters isn't history or form, it's that we go and give a good account of ourselves and that we owe Watford one this season.

Then lets deal with the final when we get there.

It's clear that form goes out of the window in these games, hence why the team ranked 3rd on form (currently us) has made the final the most.

As long as we give two performances to be proud of, like we did in the second leg at Cardiff (before the pens).  I for one think we've got a great chance.

Come on!

I can't believe how many people still go by the myth of "the team that finishes 6th wins the play offs"

We can buck that trend!

I think the myth was more that 'the team that finishes 3rd never wins it' ( :thumbup: ), but unfortunately that's been bucked in the last few years too ( :(

I'm just happy we're there full stop, and I'll still be happy if we are still in it going to Sunday, I wouldn't be distraight with being two down. The astronomical odds we faced on the last day I am just happy we've got these two games to look forward to.

Not checked the accuracy but someone posted before that the team in 3rd has made it to the final 13 times out of 26. In other words there isn't an advantage to finishing 3rd over 6th. Not sure why the BBC chose to look at "the last 20" play offs when they have only been going since '87. Must be they liked the stats for them better.

Archived