Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

End Of Term Grades 12/13

So were you satisfied with Nugent's run of 0 goals in 16 games? I'd rather have a striker who pops up with the odd goal here and there every 1 in 2 or 3 rather than a striker who scored 2/3 in one match then doesn't score again for another 10 games. I don't mind if that striker contributes to the team, a few assists during that barren run but Nugent has 4, yes FOUR, equal with Vardy and Wood who both had considerably less games than him and Waghorn even has FIVE! Not buying in to this 'Nugent was our top goal scorer though' rubbish. 

Strikers dip in and out of form, surely you know that...

How is the FACT that Nugent was our top goal scorer rubbish?! You astound me..

Nugent had a run of scoring 4 goals in 2 games and another spell of 6 goals in 5 games. Take that out and you have a striker who has contributed a grand total of 6 goals in 42 matches including a 7 game barren run at the start of the season and a 16 game goalless streak in which our collapse occurred - which I still believe was down to Pearson sticking with Nugent who quite frankly offered NOTHING in those 16 games except lose us 2 points with a cock up vs Birmingham. Vardy however, was pivotal in our rise to the top of the league, with his all round play and work rate contributing to the team effort. He then got injured and the fans are on his back after a couple of rusty sub appearances. Both C's and deservedly IMO

The whole point of this thread is that it's about the 2012/13 season. Not the 2013 from feb to april bad spell. Nugent played an even bigger part than Vardy in getting us to the top of the league but you seem to have ignored that because you clearly want to hold something against him. Each to their own. 

Strikers dip in and out of form, surely you know that...

How is the FACT that Nugent was our top goal scorer rubbish?! You astound me..

Well he hardly had much competition did he? Wood signed in January. Vardy got injured in November and was then vilified by fans when he returned. Futacs hopeless. Waghorn never returned after an appendix operation. Schlupp was at Man Utd. James injured. King was the only real competitor to Nugent. I'm sure even Barry Hayles would have finished top scorer for us this season if he played near on every game up front.

The whole point of this thread is that it's about the 2012/13 season. Not the 2013 from feb to april bad spell. Nugent played an even bigger part than Vardy in getting us to the top of the league but you seem to have ignored that because you clearly want to hold something against him. Each to their own. 

February to April bad spell - 1/3rd of our season, I'd say that's considerable enough. Let's split it this way, first 1/3rd of the season - B, second 1/3rd of the season - A-, third 1/3rd of the season - F. OVERALL GRADE = C

February to April bad spell - 1/3rd of our season, I'd say that's considerable enough. Let's split it this way, first 1/3rd of the season - B, second 1/3rd of the season - A-, third 1/3rd of the season - F. OVERALL GRADE = C

Like I say, each to their own. What do you get if you split Vardy's season in your theory? 

Like I say, each to their own. What do you get if you split Vardy's season in your theory? 

Vardy hardly played in 2013 - so any game where he didn't play would be N/A, hence why I left Futacs, Wellens, Gallagher, Logan out because there's no point grading them. However, I would have given Vardy a B for his efforts pre-injury and therefore that should be his score but I know that would cause outrage on here. 

Vardy hardly played in 2013 - so any game where he didn't play would be N/A, hence why I left Futacs, Wellens, Gallagher, Logan out because there's no point grading them. However, I would have given Vardy a B for his efforts pre-injury and therefore that should be his score but I know that would cause outrage on here. 

So in not playing (because he's obviously not good enough to play) Vardy has had a better season than Nugent?

Schmeichel A???

Which Schmeichel are we taking about, Kasper or Peter.

Kasper was pretty indifferent for 1st three quarters of the season. We came up against keeper after keeper who were pulling 10+ great saves per match whilst our outfield players were conceding fewest shots on goal in the division & the couple we did concede on goal Kasper was picking out his net.

His distribution is shocking and he's a total liability on crosses & corners. That's total liability, simply awful.

However with our change of formation we obviously conceded far more shots on goal in the last quarter of the season than we did in the first three quarters and Kasper looked a brilliant shot stopper in the run in just like most keepers we came across whilst we were riding high.

Does Kasper's late season form mean anyone can award an A ignoring his liability at corners & crosses & the fact he was indifferent whilst our outfield players were on top?

I'd say B... But that's because he did make important saves in the run in, even though his crosses & corners remained shocking throughout (just WTF is Stowell doing with him, if he's still with us)... If it wasn't for that - A bang-on average C taking the season as a whole.

I'm another, and probably in the minority on this topic cc,  I actually believe if it wasn't for some of his outstanding saves he would be deemed bang average. His lack of presence and dominance in the penalty area often scares me.

So in not playing (because he's obviously not good enough to play) Vardy has had a better season than Nugent?

Of course not but who's to say Vardy shouldn't have been ahead of Nugent? Like you say, each to their own and all that.

Well he hardly had much competition did he? Wood signed in January. Vardy got injured in November and was then vilified by fans when he returned. Futacs hopeless. Waghorn never returned after an appendix operation. Schlupp was at Man Utd. James injured. King was the only real competitor to Nugent. I'm sure even Barry Hayles would have finished top scorer for us this season if he played near on every game up front.

18 or whatever it was is still a decent return for this league, how many got more than him? 

Barry Hayles wouldn't have scored 15 though would he?

So players who don't play that much don't get lower grades? Sounds like typical foxes talk, whoever doesn't play is the saviour and clearly amazing.

Of course there's a point grading them, you grade them on how they've played when they have and make an educated guess as to why they haven't played much. Like Futacs didn't play much because he was obviously shit.

Vardy disappeared because it was clear he wasn't good enough. He wasn't injured, he was performing at a D level (certainly not B, where on earth are you getting this from?). If he was performing at A or B level, he would have played more games.

Of course not but who's to say Vardy shouldn't have been ahead of Nugent? Like you say, each to their own and all that.

Anyone with half a brain I should think.

I'm another, and probably in the minority on this topic cc,  I actually believe if it wasn't for some of his outstanding saves he would be deemed bang average. His lack of presence and dominance in the penalty area often scares me.

But he did make outstanding saves, that's why he's not bang average.

I think people make too big a deal about his presence, I can't remember him costing us many goals but he's pulled off brilliant saves almost every game. That's why he gets an A.

Barry Hayles wouldn't have scored 15 though would he?

2000/01 Fulham - 19 goals

So players who don't play that much don't get lower grades? Sounds like typical foxes talk, whoever doesn't play is the saviour and clearly amazing.

Of course there's a point grading them, you grade them on how they've played when they have and make an educated guess as to why they haven't played much. Like Futacs didn't play much because he was obviously shit.

Vardy disappeared because it was clear he wasn't good enough. He wasn't injured, he was performing at a D level (certainly not B, where on earth are you getting this from?). If he was performing at A or B level, he would have played more games.

Anyone with half a brain I should think.

Wellens played at Cardiff and away at Derby - both top quality performances most would agree and in these terms, A-/B+ yet people are giving him E/F? Yet, Wellens didn't play due to fitness issues at the start of the season after a knee cruciate ligament injury and then had a fall out with NP (Confirmed). How do you know what goes on behind the scenes? 

Vardy did not disappear, he was injured FACT, remember his performances vs Peterborough (H), Blackpool (H), Blackburn (A) early in the season, class performances. I'm always left defending Vardy but the truth is narrow minded people have never given him chance. 'Oh, he signed for a million pounds from non-league, big gamble that'... as if people were expecting him to be some 25/30 goal a season goal machine. His performances were there but his finishing was not - I cannot dispute this, however just as he was finding his feet he got injured. Why would Pearson just make him 'vanish' after he was finding his feet? He started the season ahead of Nugent after a full pre-season, he kept his place ahead of Beckford. Perhaps, the stark reality is that Vardy would have been a better option than Nugent but narrow minded idiots would jump up and cause a fuss about Pearson had he swapped Nugent for Vardy (during a time that his job was under threat btw) so Pearson kept Nugent in as the safe option.

I thought you meant Barry Hayles of 2008.

In any case, 19 is a good return is it not? So if you did mean the Barry Hayles of Fulham, it was a rather stupid point to make. 19 goals would be one of the better tallies in the league.

Wellens played at Cardiff and away at Derby - both top quality performances most would agree and in these terms, A-/B+ yet people are giving him E/F? Yet, Wellens didn't play due to fitness issues at the start of the season after a knee cruciate ligament injury and then had a fall out with NP (Confirmed). How do you know what goes on behind the scenes? 

Vardy did not disappear, he was injured FACT, remember his performances vs Peterborough (H), Blackpool (H), Blackburn (A) early in the season, class performances. I'm always left defending Vardy but the truth is narrow minded people have never given him chance. 'Oh, he signed for a million pounds from non-league, big gamble that'... as if people were expecting him to be some 25/30 goal a season goal machine. His performances were there but his finishing was not - I cannot dispute this, however just as he was finding his feet he got injured. Why would Pearson just make him 'vanish' after he was finding his feet? He started the season ahead of Nugent after a full pre-season, he kept his place ahead of Beckford. Perhaps, the stark reality is that Vardy would have been a better option than Nugent but narrow minded idiots would jump up and cause a fuss about Pearson had he swapped Nugent for Vardy (during a time that his job was under threat btw) so Pearson kept Nugent in as the safe option.

He had enough chances, he was a regular in the team for about 3 months, and it was clear he was out of his depth. He's not a Championship player, he might end up being a journeyman in Leagues 1 and 2, but he won't make it in this league.

You're starting to get a bit childish and subjective about this. There is no good argument for Vardy being a better option than Nugent. Nugent played extremely poorly from February til the play-offs but performed very well up until then, and his goals were obviously a big part of us going into the auto promotion places. But what, you'd rather replace him with a non-league player who runs around a bit? That's ridiculous, you obviously like Vardy and think Nugent is overrated and it annoys you that no one agrees with you, but there's no need to come out with poorly thought out rubbish.

Vardy isn't a finisher, in fact he was berated because he was wasting chance after chance. He is never going to score a lot of goals at this level, certainly not the amount nugent has got over the last 2 seasons. And scoring goals is pretty damn important.

So, I'd like you to explain how it's narrow minded to have an argument based on facts and reality when your points seemed to have been born in fantasyland.

Schmeichel A???

Which Schmeichel are we taking about, Kasper or Peter.

Kasper was pretty indifferent for 1st three quarters of the season. We came up against keeper after keeper who were pulling 10+ great saves per match whilst our outfield players were conceding fewest shots on goal in the division & the couple we did concede on goal Kasper was picking out his net.

His distribution is shocking and he's a total liability on crosses & corners. That's total liability, simply awful.

However with our change of formation we obviously conceded far more shots on goal in the last quarter of the season than we did in the first three quarters and Kasper looked a brilliant shot stopper in the run in just like most keepers we came across whilst we were riding high.

Does Kasper's late season form mean anyone can award an A ignoring his liability at corners & crosses & the fact he was indifferent whilst our outfield players were on top?

I'd say B... But that's because he did make important saves in the run in, even though his crosses & corners remained shocking throughout (just WTF is Stowell doing with him, if he's still with us)... If it wasn't for that - A bang-on average C taking the season as a whole.

And that's when you realise goalkeepers aren't superheroes, shut up talking about a position you clearly haven't got the slightest clue about.

As for Nugent, I wouldn't rate him as the same as Vardy but I do think Father Ted has a point

And that's when you realise goalkeepers aren't superheroes, shut up talking about a position you clearly haven't got the slightest clue about.

I take it you're a goalkeeper then, because you always come out with this statement.

I think it's harsh that you say 'shut up' to him, I mean, fair play, he might not be a goalkeeper, but he is a fan and has his opinion of our goalkeeper. For the record, I agree with the post you quoted as well.

Goalkeepers aren't superheroes, this is correct. However, if we take this approach then there would be no point in this forum. None of us are managers, yet people act like they know much more than Nigel Pearson himself.

Guest ttfn

Morgan A

Knocky A

Kasper A

James B

De Laet B

Dyer B

Drinky B-

Nugent B-

Wood B-

Keane B-

King C

Marshall C

Moore C

Schluppinator C

Konchesky D

St Ledger D

Waggy D

Vardy D

Kane D

Futacs E

Danns E

Beckford E

Whitbread MIA

Pearson C

Agree with pretty much all of that, except King. I'd give him a B+. 

St Ledger C

Schmeichel: A

De Laet: C

Moore: D

Morgan: B-

St Ledger: D

Whitbread: FAIL

Keane:  C-

Konchesky: C-

Knockaert: C

Marshall: FAIL

King: A 

James: B+

Drinkwater: B-

Dyer: FAIL

Wellens: FAIL

Gallagher: FAIL

Wood: B-

Nugent:  B-

Kane:  FAIL

Vardy: FAIL

Waghorn: FAIL

Schlupp: C

I won't bother giving them all marks as most have been either garbage or mediocre at best, but honourable mentions for:

Schmeichel

Morgan

Knockaert (in patches)

King (towards the end)

James (ditto above)

Nugent (top scorer I suppose)

...and that's about it. The rest were much of an average, plodding muchness who could talk a good game but played one not nearly as often.

Too many of you rating Andy King with an A and above Matt James ... King went missing for a large chunk of last season. The facts show that we only won about 25% of games he started. Matt James on the other hand, we won 80% of games he started before he got injured... King's improvement coincides with James's return. King = C ... James = B+

Why would you take them out? Hate it when people do that... Take out Messi's 313 goals for Barca and he's got 0 in 380...  :rolleyes:

It is impressive, we've moved on from not counting cup goals to not counting 10 league goals to suit ludicrous arguements lol

• 2 weeks later...

Kasper - A. He's our best player. People go on about his kicking but I rarely notice it. Saved us a lot of points. Can only hope we keep him, but he's destined for better things

De Laet A-. He'd be in my top few performers. I thought he tired a bit towards the end of the season but overall a brilliant first season. He will be even better next season

Morgan A. Quality. Joint player of the season with Kasper. Great sighing by Pearson

Keane B. He's awesome. His best game was Watford play off home leg. Gonna be a star surely

Konch C. I think he needs replacing. Past his best

Dyer B. his best season in a while. Had his usual quiet patch in the winter but had a strong end to the season. Can't help but love him

King A-. Annoys me when people say he's Anonomous in games. Lot of his work is unoticed. He stood out for me in a lot of games

James B. Thought he looked a bit overweight/unfit at the start of the season. Once he came back fit, he looked great. Expecting big things from him next season

Drinkwater B. A stand out player until we turned crap in Feb. Drives us on, a good player who will have learnt a lot and improved from this season

Marshall C. Still think he can go on to be a really top player for us but lost all his confidence. People forget how young he is

Moore C. I don't think he will ever make the grade as a centre half here. He's not strong enough. He's done ok at right back though

Knockaert A-. Annoys the hell out of me at times running down blind alleys and having the same move (bringing it onto his left foot). However, he's pure class when he wants to be. We're lucky to have someone like him. Another one who will have benefited from this season and will be better next season for the experience

Wellens D. Been a good servant but it's time to go.

Gally D. As above. Unfair scapegoat though. People shouldn't forget some of the incredible goals he's scored for us

Schlupp C. Raw talent, can't quite make my mind up about him. Guess we will see next season

Nugent B. hard worker. Chipped in with plenty of goals. Happy with him

Wood B-. After a great start he looked very average. I stand by my opinion that he was carrying the knee injury that kept him out of a few games, hence why he looked poor

Waghorn C. Feel for him but hes not up to it. Needs to move on and play regular football.

Vardy B. I thought he looked a threat early in the season. Never really re captured that form after injury. Lost his confidence. Would like to see him in the squad next season as an option

Whitbread C. Fantastic in the air but too injury prone. Shame

St Ledger D. Prat.

Archived