Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Jamie Vardy

If Vardy is going out on loan, there's only one place I would send him - Peterborough.

If there was ever a team that exemplifies an attacking and goal plenty mentality, it's them.

As they are in a less tough league, this should give Vardy an opportunity to get himself on the scoresheet, build back up a bit of confidence, and return to us either with decent mark-up, or at least ready to fit into the squad with a vigour and that me might well be missing in the final third of the season.

Let him off until Jan, and see how he gets on.

EDIT - that is of course that they might want him etc.

I find all this negativity around Vardy somewhat baffling, he featured in all the games in September and October, a run that took us top of the league.

Get him and the rest of the team playing in that manner and, for me, he is well worth a starting spot.

Not his fault NFP fooked it up so badly.

I find all this negativity around Vardy somewhat baffling, he featured in all the games in September and October, a run that took us top of the league.

Get him and the rest of the team playing in that manner and, for me, he is well worth a starting spot.

Not his fault NFP fooked it up so badly.

No it's not his fault, but dave, his effort isn't enough when we're looking for promotion.

He's a poor finisher and has a shocking first touch. He's clearly well out of his depth. Being in the side (and often being a stand-out weakness) at the time of our good form does not mean he's capable of being a top end Championship player.

I've nothing against him but he isn't good enough for us.

Find it hard to believe Vardy would want to go back to Fleetwood he must be on at least £5000 a week at Leicester? What would he be on at Fleetwood £1000 a week maximum surely!?

Willl add my thoughts on Vardy from another thread:

I would be prepared to give Vardy another chance next season if NP can get him working hard again in pre-season and restore a bit of confidence. I also think to get the most out of Vardy we need to consider other ways of attacking when he is on the pitch. If you watch a lot of his goals at Fleetwood came from breaks, a ball being played through or over the top for him to run on to and finish off. Granted you don't get half as many chances like that in the Championship due to the significantly more competent defences. In the Leicester team he fit right in at the beginning in terms of work rate and defending from the front, but you could see he was struggling with group attacks where the ball was being played quickly to feet between the lines. Even then, he had his moments (ie assist to Waghorn v Derby - excellent work) but the guy's forte is handling one-on-ones and chances like that. If we could have games where we hold the ball in the middle as much as possible with Drinkwater, James and King's simple and accurate passing while waiting for a chance to slip him in I think he could be quite effective. Although then you wonder where such killer balls might come from on a regular basis.

Bear in mind he was scoring at a rate that would have seen him match or outscore Beckford over a full season, with a higher work rate to boot, and people see him as a Champ-level striker. All depends on whether his early season form was purely honeymoon period.

Perhaps we should of brought him sent him on a season long loan to a league 1 promotion chasing side to build his confidence and get game time

If we were in the premiership and he was a few years younger then yes maybe.

But being in the championship and spending a million pounds on one player, we can't really then go and loan them out.

I would however loan him out this season to a lower championship/league one team. Get him a good run of games, hopefully bang in a few goals and restore some confidence.

No it's not his fault, but dave, his effort isn't enough when we're looking for promotion.

He's a poor finisher and has a shocking first touch. He's clearly well out of his depth. Being in the side (and often being a stand-out weakness) at the time of our good form does not mean he's capable of being a top end Championship player.

This is exactly what I mean. During our best spell of the season Vardy featured in every game, as did Drinkwater, now apparently out of favour.

Our central defence was rock solid, with Moore, Whitbread and SSL all featuring alongside Morgan, we were going very well indeed until NFP started changing things around and bringing in new players.

During our run of 1 win in umpteen games the 5 players I mention barely played, yet they are the ones deemed not good enough, seems strange to me.

This is exactly what I mean. During our best spell of the season Vardy featured in every game, as did Drinkwater, now apparently out of favour.

Our central defence was rock solid, with Moore, Whitbread and SSL all featuring alongside Morgan, we were going very well indeed until NFP started changing things around and bringing in new players.

During our run of 1 win in umpteen games the 5 players I mention barely played, yet they are the ones deemed not good enough, seems strange to me.

YES. Agree with the Vardy posts, I know Kitchandro won't. Whitbread is another one unfairly vilified.

This is largely regurgitating information I gave in another thread, but I think it's a reasonable counter to your argument. I'm also against the idea that it all went wrong when we started knocking it long. This seems to forget both our mini-revival at the end of the season and, more significantly, the fact that we endured a horrible December and most people thought sides had 'sussed' our elaborate passing game before Wood came in.

Good sides, especially in this league, still have some terrible players. Our previous promotion sides had the likes of Rogers, Watts, Gibson, Carey and Coatsworth in them.

Vardy scored 4 goals in 17+9 appearances and our results, actually, have been better with Waghorn rather than Vardy in the team. In terms of how the team has done with / without Vardy, well he played in around 40% of the season's total match-time, during which we scored 27 goals. So we scored 44 in the other 60% of the season and were just about better off without him.

In the second half of the season, we were significantly less likely to score when he was on the field, than when he wasn't. Someone worked out a percentage in the 50% area.

He's a 26 year old who has had a poor season with a decent side. In his last few appearances he nearly cost us two points against Boro, then actually contributed to costing us two against Cardiff. After that game, in March, he didn't play again for the rest of the season, including our late revival. And I tend to think that makes sense.

This is largely regurgitating information I gave in another thread, but I think it's a reasonable counter to your argument. I'm also against the idea that it all went wrong when we started knocking it long. This seems to forget both our mini-revival at the end of the season and, more significantly, the fact that we endured a horrible December and most people thought sides had 'sussed' our elaborate passing game before Wood came in.

Good sides, especially in this league, still have some terrible players. Our previous promotion sides had the likes of Rogers, Watts, Gibson, Carey and Coatsworth in them.

Vardy scored 4 goals in 17+9 appearances and our results, actually, have been better with Waghorn rather than Vardy in the team. In terms of how the team has done with / without Vardy, well he played in around 40% of the season's total match-time, during which we scored 27 goals. So we scored 44 in the other 60% of the season and were just about better off without him.

In the second half of the season, we were significantly less likely to score when he was on the field, than when he wasn't. Someone worked out a percentage in the 50% area.

He's a 26 year old who has had a poor season with a decent side. In his last few appearances he nearly cost us two points against Boro, then actually contributed to costing us two against Cardiff. After that game, in March, he didn't play again for the rest of the season, including our late revival. And I tend to think that makes sense.

To be fair, no one could score during the last 3 months of the season so singling out Vardy is not meaningful, in addition I thought Vardy an important part of our pressing game, we were rarely that effective in that respect without him.

I also think that this idea that we were somehow 'sussed' by other sides is a myth. NFP made changes to our setup and style of play without provocation or reason, it was his misguided attempts to tighten us up that was the cause of the problem, not a reaction to it.

By making us more conservative we lost our ability to turn defence into attack quickly and our slow, fumbling play in midfield led inexorably to hoofball and the disintegration of our season.

Sums up vardy perfectly!

I think he will be a decent squad player. We've never played to his strengths, as one poster mentioned. He's very quick and I think we seem to have underestimated this. He may be useful in away matches on the break, with his pace and his finishing (yes he's not shown it yet but a guy must be able to finish if he scored that many goals before). But he did contribute a lot, and it's often unnoticed stuff so people just think he is shocking. I still think he is slightly out of his depth and got thrown in at the deep end really.

I think he will be a decent squad player. We've never played to his strengths, as one poster mentioned. He's very quick and I think we seem to have underestimated this. He may be useful in away matches on the break, with his pace and his finishing (yes he's not shown it yet but a guy must be able to finish if he scored that many goals before). But he did contribute a lot, and it's often unnoticed stuff so people just think he is shocking. I still think he is slightly out of his depth and got thrown in at the deep end really.

I do not think NFP did Vardy any favours whatsoever, thrown in at the deep end in a 4-4-2 as one of the main strikers he was required to make a big step up right from the outset. No chance to get a feel from the bench, as Knockaert was allowed to do for example, or to start off in a less demanding wide role, despite this I thought he did pretty well, helping Nugent immensely until NFP started changing things around for no apparent reason.

I do not think NFP did Vardy any favours whatsoever, thrown in at the deep end in a 4-4-2 as one of the main strikers he was required to make a big step up right from the outset. No chance to get a feel from the bench, as Knockaert was allowed to do for example, or to start off in a less demanding wide role, despite this I thought he did pretty well, helping Nugent immensely until NFP started changing things around for no apparent reason.

Yes, agreed. He certainly could have been handled better

Vardy was the precise opposite of what I was expecting.

I expected a good finisher with a sub-standard all-round game. In reality, his all-round game was good but his finishing was sub-standard!

During the early part of the season, when he played a lot, he showed a lot of intelligent movement to get in good positions, held the ball up well, linked up well and played some good passes...but when he got a chance, he seemed to lack the confidence to shoot, either passing to someone in a poorer position or taking too long and getting closed down.

I wonder if this is a sign of what may be a weakness in Pearson's management style - bolstering players who lose confidence?

I'd like to see him loaned out to a L1 side for a couple of months, then hopefully come back confident with a few goals to his name.

I expected a good finisher with a sub-standard all-round game. In reality, his all-round game was good but his finishing was sub-standard!

During the early part of the season, when he played a lot, he showed a lot of intelligent movement to get in good positions, held the ball up well, linked up well and played some good passes...but when he got a chance, he seemed to lack the confidence to shoot, either passing to someone in a poorer position or taking too long and getting closed down.

I wonder if this is a sign of what may be a weakness in Pearson's management style - bolstering players who lose confidence?

I'd like to see him loaned out to a L1 side for a couple of months, then hopefully come back confident with a few goals to his name.

This sums it up. I was under the impresssion he was a natural finisher and the goal is the same size and dont move.

In reality he was a shit hume. Ran around a lot but couldnt hit a barn door.

Mind you his equaliser against barnsley has caused me all sorts of shit as effectively thats point and 1 goal got us in the play offs according to a mate.

Definite pattern there. True for players other than Vardy as well.

Most on here too blinkered or naive to ever see it unfortunately.

They'd rather spend time showering hatred on the forward thinking truth seekers like myself. 

I expected a good finisher with a sub-standard all-round game. In reality, his all-round game was good but his finishing was sub-stand

Yet he's managed to score around 130 goals in about 210 appearances at various levels.

I blame Pearson for rushing him and still think he'll make a very good striker in this league but whether that's with us remains to be seen as we love being inpatient.

The goal may well be the same size but the time a player has to set the self, the positioning of the keeper etc are all different. Vardy's tough is/was piss poor so by the time he's ready to shoot the opportunity had gone or he had to snatch at chances. His decision making also isn't great. When you watch great finishers they don't lash the ball in and the don't always hit it cleanly or into the corner of the goal they just hit is half a beat sooner than you thought they would/should.

Yet he's managed to score around 130 goals in about 210 appearances at various levels.

I blame Pearson for rushing him and still think he'll make a very good striker in this league but whether that's with us remains to be seen as we love being inpatient.

Did he have a choice once Beckford has spat the dummy out ?

Did he have a choice once Beckford has spat the dummy out ?

What did Beckford have to do with Vadry being rushed into first team action? Vardy was starting at the start of the season ahead of Nugent, along side Beckford. He was the nailed on starter. First 4 or so games of the season was him and Beckford, then after that him and Nugent. He could have started the season with Nugent and Beckford, then when Beckford got the arse he could have promoted Waghorn or Schlupp. Pearson chose to push Vardy straight into the first team, he had options, and could have slowly introduced him to this level, but he threw him in at the deep end.

Archived