Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Jamie Vardy

What did Beckford have to do with Vadry being rushed into first team action? Vardy was starting at the start of the season ahead of Nugent, along side Beckford. He was the nailed on starter. First 4 or so games of the season was him and Beckford, then after that him and Nugent. He could have started the season with Nugent and Beckford, then when Beckford got the arse he could have promoted Waghorn or Schlupp. Pearson chose to push Vardy straight into the first team, he had options, and could have slowly introduced him to this level, but he threw him in at the deep end.

You have stated the case well. Just one thing if Pearson had wanted to start with Wagghorn or Schulpp why did he buy Vardy in the first place ? Beckfords actions at the start of the season affected the choices Pearson could make. I don't disagree that giving Vardy more time to settle would not have been ideal, yet he started well enough so it was not a bad choice to play him.

You have stated the case well. Just one thing if Pearson had wanted to start with Wagghorn or Schulpp why did he buy Vardy in the first place ? Beckfords actions at the start of the season affected the choices Pearson could make. I don't disagree that giving Vardy more time to settle would not have been ideal, yet he started well enough so it was not a bad choice to play him.

I guess he signed him for competition for places. But you can't make a jump from non-league straight to the Championship without some adjustment time. As I said Vardy was starting with Beckford before he threw his toys out the pram, then Beckford was dropped for Nugent. So from day one Vardy was first choice, that's too big a jump for someone to make. Even if he didn't want to start Waghorn or Schlupp he should have done to give Vardy more time to adapt.

I guess he signed him for competition for places. But you can't make a jump from non-league straight to the Championship without some adjustment time. As I said Vardy was starting with Beckford before he threw his toys out the pram, then Beckford was dropped for Nugent. So from day one Vardy was first choice, that's too big a jump for someone to make. Even if he didn't want to start Waghorn or Schlupp he should have done to give Vardy more time to adapt.

Vardy started well, was only unconfident in his finishing (we were top of the league).  I thought there were signs that his confidence was improving (Blackburn), but then he got injured and seemed to have to start from square one again once he got back into the team.  If it hadn't been for the timing of the injury I think there's a chance he might have progressed into a pretty decent striker for us, with a decent scoring rate.

When are people going to realise that its not a confidence issue with vardy and that he just simply does not have the ability to play at this level. At 26 hes hardly going to improve.

Spot on.

I wanted him to do well, especially as I have a soft spot for strikers owing to the fact that I play that position too.

But the reality is, he just ain't got it. It's no good persisting with Sub-standard fare just for the sake of continuity and everyone's current favourite excuse: FFP.

League One beckons.

I do not think NFP did Vardy any favours whatsoever, thrown in at the deep end in a 4-4-2 as one of the main strikers he was required to make a big step up right from the outset. No chance to get a feel from the bench, as Knockaert was allowed to do for example, or to start off in a less demanding wide role, despite this I thought he did pretty well, helping Nugent immensely until NFP started changing things around for no apparent reason.

Knocky is a kid, Vardy isn't.

Vardy is a lower league player at best.

Sorry but I'm not sure I really buy this argument about making the jump. I sure other players have done it and I seem to recall in the early 1980s we signed Alan Smith from Alvechurch and scored 13 goals in the league for us in his first season and we got promoted.

if you're a young guy in your twenties scoring lots of goals and get a good deal at a club higher up the leagues you're coming full of confidence on the back of a good season. it is exactly the same kind of argument you can make for promoted sides doing well the following season.

Also we have no idea how things were in pre-season training, which players were ready for the new season in terms of both physical and mental fitness. Pearson would have known that and selected his side presumably based upon this type of selection criteria.

If there are things that concern me with Vardy one is that we simply overpaid for him and the other is that his age though still in his twenties is largely against him in terms of improvement.Having said that next season he may be better. His movement and anticipation speed may have been improved by a full season playing at this level.

On the plus side he has a very good work ethic which shouldn't go unnoticed though I admit his first touch isn't the best.

Sorry but I'm not sure I really buy this argument about making the jump. I sure other players have done it and I seem to recall in the early 1980s we signed Alan Smith from Alvechurch and scored 13 goals in the league for us in his first season and we got promoted.

if you're a young guy in your twenties scoring lots of goals and get a good deal at a club higher up the leagues you're coming full of confidence on the back of a good season. it is exactly the same kind of argument you can make for promoted sides doing well the following season.

Also we have no idea how things were in pre-season training, which players were ready for the new season in terms of both physical and mental fitness. Pearson would have known that and selected his side presumably based upon this type of selection criteria.

If there are things that concern me with Vardy one is that we simply overpaid for him and the other is that his age though still in his twenties is largely against him in terms of improvement.Having said that next season he may be better. His movement and anticipation speed may have been improved by a full season playing at this level.

On the plus side he has a very good work ethic which shouldn't go unnoticed though I admit his first touch isn't the best.

Fair point but you say he has had a full season playing for us more like a full season training not sure how much improvement that would bring

I remember everyone including myself saying James was poor when we we first signed him but in the end of the season he was probably our best player. Vardy picked up some niggling injuries and when he came back he struggled unlike James ! I would keep him and hope he comes good

So we buy him from a non-league side and throw him in the deep end where he struggles.

Why would we loan him for a season to another Championship side?

Surely it makes sense to loan him for 3 months to a League 1 side, if he starts scoring then loan him for another 3 months to a Championship side, if he continues to score bring him back for our first team.

So we buy him from a non-league side and throw him in the deep end where he struggles.

Why would we loan him for a season to another Championship side?

Surely it makes sense to loan him for 3 months to a League 1 side, if he starts scoring then loan him for another 3 months to a Championship side, if he continues to score bring him back for our first team.

£££££££'s

Archived