Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Here To Be Shot Down Again

We'd only let Nugent and Wes go before the magnificent seven depart if we can't actually get rid of the rest first.

I'd be very angry if Gally and Wellens staying on huge wages because they won't go to a club paying them less means we have to lose our top scorer and best defending.

Sickening.

That's what I was thinking. It's easy for players to come out and say we want to fight for a first team place when their on a big wage. Realistically, both Gally and Wellens will only ever be squad players now, even then we'll probably only see them if there are a few injuries in the squad.

They're not exactly spring chickens either and their current contracts are likely to be the last heavy pay check they're going to get. If they really want to be playing first team football they'd take wage cuts and join other clubs, this assuming there is genuine interest in either of them.

Guest MattP

Wes Morgan is not on that money, Pearson would never sanction such a deal. He's frugal is Nigel. One way to hazard how true this is is to check companies house and what our wage bill is this year. If any of this is slightly true then our wage bill would be £5.2 million just on those 4 players, not to mention what Konchesky, Schmiechel, Wellens and Gallagher are on as well.

It's not that hard to believe when our outgoings are touching 30million according to last years accounts.

How did we let this happen.

edit: Just realised Davie beat me to it.

If you all hate Sven clap your hands

I don't hate him but along with the owners and Andrew Neville I blame him for our current state. Sven has already said he gave AN and the owners a list of players and they signed them, negotiated fees and wages etc.

Sven did sign some quality players for us but then when you sign as many as he did there will be a few gems amongst the shite eg Nugent and Kasper.

The owners should've been a lot more stringent with the budget rather than writing cheques left, right and centre.

Imagine if you were Andrew Neville and the manager said he wants to sign Michael Ball, Michael Johnson and John Pantsil, wouldn't you question his transfer policy?

I don't hate him but along with the owners and Andrew Neville I blame him for our current state. Sven has already said he gave AN and the owners a list of players and they signed them, negotiated fees and wages etc.

Sven did sign some quality players for us but then when you sign as many as he did there will be a few gems amongst the shite eg Nugent and Kasper.

The owners should've been a lot more stringent with the budget rather than writing cheques left, right and centre.

Imagine if you were Andrew Neville and the manager said he wants to sign Michael Ball, Michael Johnson and John Pantsil, wouldn't you question his transfer policy?

No- its the Manager who decides who he wants to sign.

No- its the Manager who decides who he wants to sign.

I know that but there has to be some control over it, imagine if we didn't sack him and he stayed till after the January window which other 'past it' players would he have signed on hefty contracts. I'm sure when Neville got the Director of Football job he said his job was to help managers identify the players to sign and then do the rest.

Who agrees the wages though?

That is the problem.

I agree with you, it's a mess. However I'm slightly more comfortable with us paying high wages to really good players eg Kasper, Nugent. It's totally unacceptable to pay the kind of wages we did and still are to most of the dross Sven signed. That's his fault- he just couldn't say no to player agents.

Guest MattP

If we had someone who knew anything about football running the show they might have askd why the list contained 8 centre midfielders and no wingers.

If we had someone who knew anything about football running the show they might have askd why the list contained 8 centre midfielders and no wingers.

Exactly, these sort of questions should've been of the manager, at least by Andrew Neville if not the owners. If it was my money I would want it to be spent wisely. They all just went crazy with no control.

Exactly. Half the supporters and Ian stringer didn't notice though. I phoned the moan in early on during Sven's time here and suggested we lacked width and the fact you need REALLY top players to play a diamond formation. I was shot down

Exactly. Half the supporters and Ian stringer didn't notice though. I phoned the moan in early on during Sven's time here and suggested we lacked width and the fact you need REALLY top players to play a diamond formation. I was shot down

Were you the bloke Alan Young told top teams don't play with width anymore? lol

I wish we had appointed you instead of Sven - imagine we would be a Prem team by now with a squad on minimum wage all better than the current Man U team, young hungry playing flowing attractive football while winning everything in sight - it is so easy

I wish we had appointed you instead of Sven - imagine we would be a Prem team by now with a squad on minimum wage all better than the current Man U team, young hungry playing flowing attractive football while winning everything in sight - it is so easy

Yeah, probably.

A mate of a mate of a mate. What a load of old tosh. Who has a clue what they may or may not be on. Makes me laugth even more when people who haven't got a clue, what they maybe earning, try and work out what it equates too?

Let's just wait and see who stays and who goes.

When you're given as much money as Sven, it bloody should be easy. The amount of crap he signed is a testament to his uselessness.

I'm pretty sure when Sven gave a list of players he wanted to Andrew Neville and co, he probably wasn't expecting to sign nearly everyone on it. He obviously has to have a big short list so there can be multiple targets and so therefore is more scope for the contract negotiations and could get the best value. Or so I would have thought anyway.

How ironic that you say that so sarcastically, yet criticise Pearson with an endless monotony for trying to do exactly that and only falling a bit short....

Paying 85% of Beckfords and Danns wages at Huddersfield!? I wouldn't have been suprised if we were paying 15% but 85% is madness, if they were on £25,000 per week for example that would only be £3750 per week Huddersfield would have to pay bargain for them

Just for a bit of perspective .....in that season, we were the third biggest spenders on wages - West ham spent most with £40+ million, followed by Southampton with £29m. Then came us followed closely by Reading £27m, Birmingham £25m, Middlesborough £22m, Cardiff £21m and Hull £20m

The wages seem fairly even to me with the exception of West ham - the real failure that season was not getting promoted - the gamble to sack the manager who had put the team together (broadly in line with the kind of wages needed to get promotion from the division) being removed way too early and to what is now damaging effect. 

You will see that all the teams except Palace that have gone up recently are in this ballpark. Yes our wages are high but not as unrealistic as some of you have allowed yourselves to believe and certainly nothing in the league table of wages suggests that anything much under £20m+ is going to get you anywhere near the Premier League.

Also, by going up with a relatively highly paid squad, you seem to have a better chance of survival (WH, Southampton) than a cheaper one - which was perhaps the thinking behind bringing in players like Nuge, Konch,Kasper, Beckford, Fernandes, all of whom you could have seen (at the time) playing for a bottom half Prem side. Bringing in lots of Championship level players on 3 year contracts would have meant even if you arrived in the Prem you would have too many inexperienced players and not enough funds to buy Prem players.

The gamble was invest, get promotion and we'll be OK - the mistake was pulling the plug early - since then we have been in reverse but there is very little in the wages table to suggest our policy will work - indeed the only two alternatives are bringing through fantastic youth players (Palace) and managing them well which we don't have/seem scared to do or borrowing someone else's team (Watford)

Archived