Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Here To Be Shot Down Again

Brilliant, well as long as your mate was happy then......

Well considering you said Pearson achieved nothing which was wrong. The overhaul of wages was a big job, he did that very well to get them out the mess. And considering I was quoted a friend who is actually a Hull fan, and well, we arn't. 

How on earth would you know that?

Because I am an adult, and someone who can debate like an adult.

You know why nobody takes you seriously on here? Because you won't try to make any intelligent points and debate like an adult. Whenever anyone makes any remotely reasonable argument you avoid the debate and just make silly remarks.

So, I'm waiting. I'll give you another chance. Explain why you have so little faith in a man who has got us into the play-offs twice (that's Pearson, by the way), yet you have/had so much belief in a man who never got us into the play-off places for one single week in his time here (which is Sven, just so you're clear).

If you manage to come up with a reasonable argument for that I tip my hat to you.

But I repeat, if all of these wage salaries are true that our fans claim our players are on, our wage bill would be close to £20 million a year. Is it? I've not seen the published figures, can someone confirm? Babylon usually knows this sort of muck. Pal?

We managed to lose all this money somehow, so apart from interest payments how else do u think we've managed it? As for Wes well the rumour at the time was, that Forest offered him a new contract of 8k a week and we paid him 15k a week. Probably illustrates how much we've been over paying all of our players.

Because I am an adult, and someone who can debate like an adult.

You know why nobody takes you seriously on here? Because you won't try to make any intelligent points and debate like an adult. Whenever anyone makes any remotely reasonable argument you avoid the debate and just make silly remarks.

So, I'm waiting. I'll give you another chance. Explain why you have so little faith in a man who has got us into the play-offs twice (that's Pearson, by the way), yet you have/had so much belief in a man who never got us into the play-off places for one single week in his time here (which is Sven, just so you're clear).

If you manage to come up with a reasonable argument for that I tip my hat to you.

OK Sir - here goes and for what it is worth just one more time for you........

Much of what you have written there is your opinion based on your slightly twisted understanding of what is written or by your reaction to the replies of similarly blinkered posters like Indierich or MarkW

I have had little faith in Leicester City at any point in the past 3 years, managers notwithstanding. I thought Nige was the best we had seen for a long time when he got us straight up and the season after was a very good attempt to go straight up using the momentum and belief the team gained in League 1. I do believe had he stayed for the next season that we would have had a good go again, so all is well and good, I like Nige, he is OK and we are all happy.

Then he leaves - I didn't pay much attention to him to be honest, I guess I wanted him to fail at Hull because he left us in the lurch/was forced out, even more so when we were bottom of the table after a few games of the following season.

Sven came in to great fanfare, which I enjoyed, it seemed like we might be moving forward again and it was a coup at the time for us to get a 'name' manager after years of Megson and Holloway et al

I enjoyed the rest of that season up to the Forest game as we looked like we had something going for us. It was a shame we didn't get into the play offs but we had looked in grave danger of relegation after 9 or 10 games so it was a big ask. - ultimately though that season ended in failure. I imagine at that point Sven insisted that the way out of the league was to invest in some heavyweight players - it is only at this point that I believe any Leicester fan can have begun to have an issue with Sven - those that had one for the season before baffle me, but hey ho, they apparently do. 

Nigel meanwhile seemed to struggle - of course Hull could have gone straight down again, but equally they could have gone straight back up but they actually struggled. This is a fact, they finished well out of the play offs too. 

Then comes the sacking - of course we hadn't finished in the play offs after 13 games and we certainly didn't look like world beaters (perhaps Derby excepted) - this is where I have issue...the wages were committed to, the team was bought - unless we were in a Sousa type scenario then Xmas would have been a better time to make a judgement - that is as far as my faith in Sven goes - whatever you might want to believe.

So back to Nigel Pearson. Revisionism (again) suggests that all along the fans and the board wanted him back - crap - they wanted lots of other people but were so unprepared for being rejected that we had no one for weeks - we then for some reason turn back to Nigel (who had an equally uninspiring start to that season, losing his first 3 games) and pay way over the odds for him. He returns and looks a shadow of the man he used to be. he clearly doesn't like a lot of the team he has inherited but instead of boosting its value and looking to sell he falls out with several of them (hearsay maybe but a £5m signing forced to train with the juniors is shocking - even if it just shows disregard for your owners investment). By Feb of last season it was clear that he was not going to be able to do anything with this team - my faith in him drops even more.

We finish poorly but a close season and some good signings should perhaps restore faith - I am fairly sure he will get the boot in October/Nov after an OK start a great run and then a bit of a flounder suggests he is still struggling to find the right team a year after his arrival. Then and this is the only time in 3 years I have thought it, he turns it around - but how long does it last? And when it collapses it is appalling - now I have no faith in him - God, even Sven didn't lose more than a couple on the bounce but this is shocking.

To be fair, we didn't even really turn things around at the end - losing to Watford in our last home game was terrible....then a small miracle at Forest followed by a dismal showing in the play offs - I don't believe the play offs are much use - I'd rather the top 3 went up and if you really wanted excitement get the 4 and 5th place in Championship to have a play off with the 16th and 17th in the Prem but otherwise they are a lottery and not worth a whole seasons work.

So, even if I believed Nige could walk us into the play offs (I don't I think we'll struggle), getting to them is merely a consolation prize and I think the best way to go up is to borrow or buy the best players you can attract and manage them effectively - we can't attract decent players anymore, none of Niges signings have made any kind of showing in the Premier League and sadly I don't believe they ever will play there.

All of this is my opinion and as such should not anger you so much - it is sad that by not believing in the current set up you are either a WUM or not a real fan but such is the way on a message board........

Well considering you said Pearson achieved nothing which was wrong. The overhaul of wages was a big job, he did that very well to get them out the mess. And considering I was quoted a friend who is actually a Hull fan, and well, we arn't. 

But they went up under Bruce?

OK Sir - here goes and for what it is worth just one more time for you........

Much of what you have written there is your opinion based on your slightly twisted understanding of what is written or by your reaction to the replies of similarly blinkered posters like Indierich or MarkW

I have had little faith in Leicester City at any point in the past 3 years, managers notwithstanding. I thought Nige was the best we had seen for a long time when he got us straight up and the season after was a very good attempt to go straight up using the momentum and belief the team gained in League 1. I do believe had he stayed for the next season that we would have had a good go again, so all is well and good, I like Nige, he is OK and we are all happy.

Then he leaves - I didn't pay much attention to him to be honest, I guess I wanted him to fail at Hull because he left us in the lurch/was forced out, even more so when we were bottom of the table after a few games of the following season.

Sven came in to great fanfare, which I enjoyed, it seemed like we might be moving forward again and it was a coup at the time for us to get a 'name' manager after years of Megson and Holloway et al

I enjoyed the rest of that season up to the Forest game as we looked like we had something going for us. It was a shame we didn't get into the play offs but we had looked in grave danger of relegation after 9 or 10 games so it was a big ask. - ultimately though that season ended in failure. I imagine at that point Sven insisted that the way out of the league was to invest in some heavyweight players - it is only at this point that I believe any Leicester fan can have begun to have an issue with Sven - those that had one for the season before baffle me, but hey ho, they apparently do. 

Nigel meanwhile seemed to struggle - of course Hull could have gone straight down again, but equally they could have gone straight back up but they actually struggled. This is a fact, they finished well out of the play offs too. 

Then comes the sacking - of course we hadn't finished in the play offs after 13 games and we certainly didn't look like world beaters (perhaps Derby excepted) - this is where I have issue...the wages were committed to, the team was bought - unless we were in a Sousa type scenario then Xmas would have been a better time to make a judgement - that is as far as my faith in Sven goes - whatever you might want to believe.

So back to Nigel Pearson. Revisionism (again) suggests that all along the fans and the board wanted him back - crap - they wanted lots of other people but were so unprepared for being rejected that we had no one for weeks - we then for some reason turn back to Nigel (who had an equally uninspiring start to that season, losing his first 3 games) and pay way over the odds for him. He returns and looks a shadow of the man he used to be. he clearly doesn't like a lot of the team he has inherited but instead of boosting its value and looking to sell he falls out with several of them (hearsay maybe but a £5m signing forced to train with the juniors is shocking - even if it just shows disregard for your owners investment). By Feb of last season it was clear that he was not going to be able to do anything with this team - my faith in him drops even more.

We finish poorly but a close season and some good signings should perhaps restore faith - I am fairly sure he will get the boot in October/Nov after an OK start a great run and then a bit of a flounder suggests he is still struggling to find the right team a year after his arrival. Then and this is the only time in 3 years I have thought it, he turns it around - but how long does it last? And when it collapses it is appalling - now I have no faith in him - God, even Sven didn't lose more than a couple on the bounce but this is shocking.

To be fair, we didn't even really turn things around at the end - losing to Watford in our last home game was terrible....then a small miracle at Forest followed by a dismal showing in the play offs - I don't believe the play offs are much use - I'd rather the top 3 went up and if you really wanted excitement get the 4 and 5th place in Championship to have a play off with the 16th and 17th in the Prem but otherwise they are a lottery and not worth a whole seasons work.

So, even if I believed Nige could walk us into the play offs (I don't I think we'll struggle), getting to them is merely a consolation prize and I think the best way to go up is to borrow or buy the best players you can attract and manage them effectively - we can't attract decent players anymore, none of Niges signings have made any kind of showing in the Premier League and sadly I don't believe they ever will play there.

All of this is my opinion and as such should not anger you so much - it is sad that by not believing in the current set up you are either a WUM or not a real fan but such is the way on a message board........

I'm being called blinkered. By Seenitall. Well, that's ironic isn't it?

Arsehole.

Please....did I say that? I said since he lost that game he has lost whatever he had up to then - he did nothing at Hull in his first year there (finished below us) and seemed completely lost most of his return season with us. There were a few signs of a return in the first half of the season but his woeful run after Xmas suggested that for most of the past 3 seasons he has been floundering...maybe it is all down to external factors but, as with Sven, the table doesn't lie and he has to pay the price - except for some strange reason he doesn't.

The table doesn't lie?

Are you not then admitting Pearson is better than Sven?

The table doesn't lie?

Are you not then admitting Pearson is better than Sven?

Oh God - yes yes yes - he is the best manager we have had for years, he has a brilliant young and hungry team and he will win the inaugural FFP prize along with promotion next season - Nige Nige Nige rah rah rah

No, that was me calling you an arsehole. Because you;re a massive arsehole and you spend most of your time on here talking out of it. Do try and keep up.

Not like you to be hypocritical and make pointless posts with personal insults in when you can't get your own way.

You are usually so clever and constructive...........

No, that was me calling you an arsehole. Because you;re a massive arsehole and you spend most of your time on here talking out of it. Do try and keep up.

Why because he has a different opinion to you?

I thought this was supposed to be a message board for fans to express their opinions, but it seems not.

Calling people names for having the audacity to have a different opinion to others is out of order, in my opinion.

Ok let's start at this point of your post, up until this point I thought it was balanced enough.

First of all, the problem is not that we hadn't finished in the play-offs after 13 games or however long it was, that is of course, impossible. The issue is Sven had been here a year and, as I keep saying, we'd never even been in the top 6 once. Now, you could argue there were mitigating factors in 2010/11, as in we were in the bottom 3 when he joined. Having said that, it is not that simple. We did still have almost the whole squad that finished 5th the season before, minus a couple of loans who were with us for only a couple of months anyway.

Sven was, in fact, doing a very good job up until around March, when he started to cock it up with various bizarre decisions. At this point we were about 7th but our form dipped badly until the end of the season. Similar to you however, I was willing to forget this and was hopeful that with a whole summer he would improve us into being a team challenging for the top 2. I thought this was a reasonable expectation.

However, by the time he was sacked, I'm not sure how anyone who watched us could think we were anywhere near promotion material. His permanent signings were mostly terrible or average (and for the money they were on, the average ones were really poor value) with the exceptions being Nugent and Schmeichel. The team had no cohesion, spirit, width, pace, understanding, leadership, discipline...I could honestly go on and on. There was the odd game; Derby at home where we looked good, but in the main it was very underwhelming.

There is an argument that we could have given him til Christmas, but I feel this is a very weak one. The main reason being, nobody really expected us to improve by Christmas - there was no sign of it or reason for it; our players and manager's tactics were not going to just start getting better. They were what they were.

Secondly, this doesn't really add up with you, as you have been banging on about about Sven for over 18 months since he left now. So I find it hard to believe that your faith in Sven only extends to you wanting him to be given another 6 weeks or so. Surely, after all this time, you've got a better argument for him than that?

I'll be honest with you, and this may shock you - but Pearson wasn't my first choice to replace Sven. He wasn't even my third. But that's neither here nor there. I judge him on what he's actually done for this club. And it's true, there were reservations about him at the end of the 2011/12 season, because we hadn't really made any obvious progress on the pitch.

But by the end of October last season it was clear he had built an exciting young side with potential. We had a dip in form in December, but then another great one in January. Now, nobody is defending our run after that. Nobody. It was shocking and there were no excuses for it, from either the manager or the players. But the thing is - if the season actually panned out the way you tell it, we wouldn't have finished 5th. I mean, really read back the paragraph you've written about last season whilst pretending it was written by someone else about another club. If you were hazarding a guess as to where this club finished, you'd say bottom half, maybe even relegation. You wouldn't say play-off places, because how could a club who only had a couple of good runs finish in the play-offs?

And that's the big issue here, your negativity about Pearson is ludicrous. In reality, we were having a really good season until February. And I back that up with the fact we were 2nd. After that, it was appalling no doubt, but we still finished in the play-offs. What does that tell you? That the season as a whole can't have been as bad as you make out.

I can't be bothered to go into the players he's fallen out with. Most of it is rumours so the point is invalid, and frankly if you were manager you'd be falling out with the likes of Beckford, St Ledger and Mills too. I guarantee it.

But as I said, your post above doesn't add up with all the things you've previously said. You bang on about Sven all the while yet don't have much of an argument for him at all. And you bash Pearson at every opportunity, but really your only argument is that we had a terrible run from February onwards, and we didn't get promoted. I don't mind Pearson being criticised, he deserves some. But he does not deserve the kind of stick he has been getting (and that he was getting well before that shocking run, I should point out, from you as well).

You've not liked him since he came back, why? A real explanation would be nice. Do you just not like a straight talking bloke?

Why because he has a different opinion to you?

I thought this was supposed to be a message board for fans to express their opinions, but it seems not.

Calling people names for having the audacity to have a different opinion to others is out of order, in my opinion.

Nah. If you're going to have opinions you have to back them up with constructive points that are fair and make sense. That is all most people ask on this forum.

If you can't do that you can't expect everyone to respect what you have to say.

Ok let's start at this point of your post, up until this point I thought it was balanced enough.

First of all, the problem is not that we hadn't finished in the play-offs after 13 games or however long it was, that is of course, impossible. The issue is Sven had been here a year and, as I keep saying, we'd never even been in the top 6 once. Now, you could argue there were mitigating factors in 2010/11, as in we were in the bottom 3 when he joined. Having said that, it is not that simple. We did still have almost the whole squad that finished 5th the season before, minus a couple of loans who were with us for only a couple of months anyway.

Sven was, in fact, doing a very good job up until around March, when he started to cock it up with various bizarre decisions. At this point we were about 7th but our form dipped badly until the end of the season. Similar to you however, I was willing to forget this and was hopeful that with a whole summer he would improve us into being a team challenging for the top 2. I thought this was a reasonable expectation.

However, by the time he was sacked, I'm not sure how anyone who watched us could think we were anywhere near promotion material. His permanent signings were mostly terrible or average (and for the money they were on, the average ones were really poor value) with the exceptions being Nugent and Schmeichel. The team had no cohesion, spirit, width, pace, understanding, leadership, discipline...I could honestly go on and on. There was the odd game; Derby at home where we looked good, but in the main it was very underwhelming.

There is an argument that we could have given him til Christmas, but I feel this is a very weak one. The main reason being, nobody really expected us to improve by Christmas - there was no sign of it or reason for it; our players and manager's tactics were not going to just start getting better. They were what they were.

Secondly, this doesn't really add up with you, as you have been banging on about about Sven for over 18 months since he left now. So I find it hard to believe that your faith in Sven only extends to you wanting him to be given another 6 weeks or so. Surely, after all this time, you've got a better argument for him than that?

I'll be honest with you, and this may shock you - but Pearson wasn't my first choice to replace Sven. He wasn't even my third. But that's neither here nor there. I judge him on what he's actually done for this club. And it's true, there were reservations about him at the end of the 2011/12 season, because we hadn't really made any obvious progress on the pitch.

But by the end of October last season it was clear he had built an exciting young side with potential. We had a dip in form in December, but then another great one in January. Now, nobody is defending our run after that. Nobody. It was shocking and there were no excuses for it, from either the manager or the players. But the thing is - if the season actually panned out the way you tell it, we wouldn't have finished 5th. I mean, really read back the paragraph you've written about last season whilst pretending it was written by someone else about another club. If you were hazarding a guess as to where this club finished, you'd say bottom half, maybe even relegation. You wouldn't say play-off places, because how could a club who only had a couple of good runs finish in the play-offs?

And that's the big issue here, your negativity about Pearson is ludicrous. In reality, we were having a really good season until February. And I back that up with the fact we were 2nd. After that, it was appalling no doubt, but we still finished in the play-offs. What does that tell you? That the season as a whole can't have been as bad as you make out.

I can't be bothered to go into the players he's fallen out with. Most of it is rumours so the point is invalid, and frankly if you were manager you'd be falling out with the likes of Beckford, St Ledger and Mills too. I guarantee it.

But as I said, your post above doesn't add up with all the things you've previously said. You bang on about Sven all the while yet don't have much of an argument for him at all. And you bash Pearson at every opportunity, but really your only argument is that we had a terrible run from February onwards, and we didn't get promoted. I don't mind Pearson being criticised, he deserves some. But he does not deserve the kind of stick he has been getting (and that he was getting well before that shocking run, I should point out, from you as well).

You've not liked him since he came back, why? A real explanation would be nice. Do you just not like a straight talking bloke?

So in essence you agree with me - up until the point you assume I bang on about Sven - only usually when someone brings up a ludicrous point that he was the worst manager ever or his spending was out of control. It was high but in relation to other clubs it was in the ballpark was actually the point I was making - had this person from another club seen the wildly overblown comments re the spending they would have assumed we spent 10 times everyone else's budget put together - the truth is we spent somewhere between £1m less and £7m more than most of the top teams.

The real reason I have not liked Nige is the same as yours I guess (although you like him) - he wasn't our first or second choice and I don;t believe he has what it takes anymore (its an opinion, sorry its not the same as yours) - now we are just in football disagreement here, I don't know why those that support him are so vehement about him - it does tend to make those of us in the minority who feel the club is in a poor state at the moment because of him rather than in spite of him, overreact to the overwhelming majority who can see no wrong and won't ever debate (aforementioned and a little sore Richie and MarkW) but just tell us we are arseholes, thick, WUM or not really fans just because we think he is the wrong man for the job.

I am happy to change my opinion of him if he becomes the man his supporters think he already is - but I am not convinced by his recent (last 3 years) performance and stay unconvinced as of this time.

There you go - don't hate him (he's a football manager FFS) don't love Sven (he was a football manager FFS) but get tired of the revisionism that forgets last seasons spectacular fall away and paints Sven's year as a disaster. That's all.

OK boss - see the response to the equally obtuse MattP but think about what I said. Up to the point of the Cardiff play off defeat Nige was on a roll and I enjoyed what he was doing for us. Then he left us, struggled with Hull, struggled with us and then struggled with us again, that is three seasons of mediocrity with the worse run of the lot coming towards the end of that three years - excuse me for not being a big fan

Argue with that or shut it

He rebuilt Hull. He's in the process of doing the same with us.

So in essence you agree with me - up until the point you assume I bang on about Sven - only usually when someone brings up a ludicrous point that he was the worst manager ever or his spending was out of control. It was high but in relation to other clubs it was in the ballpark was actually the point I was making - had this person from another club seen the wildly overblown comments re the spending they would have assumed we spent 10 times everyone else's budget put together - the truth is we spent somewhere between £1m less and £7m more than most of the top teams.

The real reason I have not liked Nige is the same as yours I guess (although you like him) - he wasn't our first or second choice and I don;t believe he has what it takes anymore (its an opinion, sorry its not the same as yours) - now we are just in football disagreement here, I don't know why those that support him are so vehement about him - it does tend to make those of us in the minority who feel the club is in a poor state at the moment because of him rather than in spite of him, overreact to the overwhelming majority who can see no wrong and won't ever debate (aforementioned and a little sore Richie and MarkW) but just tell us we are arseholes, thick, WUM or not really fans just because we think he is the wrong man for the job.

I am happy to change my opinion of him if he becomes the man his supporters think he already is - but I am not convinced by his recent (last 3 years) performance and stay unconvinced as of this time.

There you go - don't hate him (he's a football manager FFS) don't love Sven (he was a football manager FFS) but get tired of the revisionism that forgets last seasons spectacular fall away and paints Sven's year as a disaster. That's all.

I don't know where you get I agree with you from. I actually couldn't be more opposed to you it's just that your last post had a lot less of the silly comments and a lot more of your actual arguments which are very weak.

You need to take your blinkers off, that is what the real issue is. Firstly because you need to see that the anti-Pearson (and pro-Sven) people are far more irrational than any 'Pearsonite' if that's what we're calling them. They have to be, because the argument for Pearson is so much more convincing and based on facts than the argument for Sven. Secondly because basically you are admitting that you just didn't want Pearson to replace Sven, so you're holding it against him. Maybe you need to swallow your pride and accept that it doesn't matter what you wanted before he was appointed. It doesn't hurt to have a balanced view on someone instead of hating everything about him.

It's not that everyone thinks Pearson is amazing, or he can do no wrong. Nobody thinks that. But the criticism of him from some is way over the top so of course people are going to defend him fervently. Of course they are going to get angry when people bash him in such an over the top way with very poor arguments to back it up.

It's the same with Sven, it's not that he was awful the whole time. It's that a lot of people get so fed up of those bumming Sven and hating Pearson that they will go that little bit further to make the point that Sven wasn't very good for us, and that Pearson has clearly outperformed him for Leicester.

But as for you implying that the club is in a poor state 'because of him and not in spite of him' - well that is an example of an over the top criticism with nothing decent to back it up. He's not spent as much money as Sven and he's outperformed Sven as well as every other manager since we were relegated from the Premier League. We were in League one when he took over FFS, things were worse before he even got here, let alone since he left the first time.

So, if you don't want all the 'Pearsonites' to get angry and have a go at you, don't say such stupid things like that.

Fair play Kitchandro. I don't have enough patience with some of the anti Pearson fans. If someone's able to have a reasonable debate about Sven and NP then I'm all ears. For me though the facts speak for themselves. Did we win a back to back game under Sven? Did we ever make the playoff spots? Did he sign players on massive wages?

Has Pearson achieved this (and arguably more by being top in November and 2nd in January) whilst cutting the wage bill dramatically and once again making some very astute signings?

This for me is the long and short of it. However much you dress up Svens 'mistreatment' by our club and last season's dire run of form under NP the above remain the facts.

You could speculate about Sven being given more time etc but we honestly didnt look like improving and given that Svens wage bill matched those of other teams who did go up, we very rarely (derby at home) looked like we'd ever reach the performances expected of said wage bill. I think he was tactically inept from the word go. Some will say the same regarding Pearson but at least we usually had an effective plan A

Archived