Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

tactical analysis of the Middlesbrough match

I know we have a post match thread, but it seems to be mainly people saying I told you so, or he's still shit, and not really any insight into the game. So if anyone who was there could enlighten those that weren't on how we lined up tactically, did we play 352 or 532? Did we change formation for the second half or at any point? Does it look like a it will be successful? Did we tend to play through the middle, down the flanks or over the top, I saw some criticism of hoofball, did we play too direct? Did that change in the second half?

From listening to stringer and young and reading bits on this forum, my conclusion is we started out 532 played like the worst team in the world first half, played like Barcelona second half and vardy is the new messi. If anyone can help flesh that opinion out a bit would be much appreciated.

For me the 3 5 2 defo has legs especially as an away formation. The key moment, for me, was wood coming off for Nugent. Woods movement was limited and we were predictable first half. With Nugent on his movement opened gaps behind for vardy. The pace of the game changed and we looked like a very good side. First half we were static up front. For me Wood needs to step it up now, I think he has ability but didn't impress yesterday and again for me bottled a few challenges. I also think PK is fine 442 but maybe the new lad will work with wing backs. RDL was simply fantastic in that formation and the midfield trio were effective especially when we lost possession.

Be interesting to see the formation and line up for the home game against Leeds, some different attacking options??

Maybe NP has learnt from last season and won't keep playing the same 11 week in and week out

Great win and start to the season

For me the 3 5 2 defo has legs especially as an away formation. The key moment, for me, was wood coming off for Nugent. Woods movement was limited and we were predictable first half. With Nugent on his movement opened gaps behind for vardy. The pace of the game changed and we looked like a very good side. First half we were static up front. For me Wood needs to step it up now, I think he has ability but didn't impress yesterday and again for me bottled a few challenges. I also think PK is fine 442 but maybe the new lad will work with wing backs. RDL was simply fantastic in that formation and the midfield trio were effective especially when we lost possession.

Exactly this! (although I do agree with everything you've posted).

I said at half time that Middlesbrough's movement was better than ours. Vardy made a couple of decent runs but they came to nothing. However, for their goal, that number 19 (Caroyal or however its spelt) created that run himself so the lad played the ball in behind, all he had to do was provide a decent cross.

When Nugent come on, his movement was top class. There was a massive difference. Those people who don't rate him need to watch him carefully. One minute he was wide left, the next he was on the right. He's rarely stationary. 

Anyway, thought we were excellent second half, and if we can play like that with that tempo and urgency every game, then there is no reason why we cannot challenge for a top 6th finish. Pleased for Vardy also, been saying on here all summer that he's been wrote off to quickly, yesterday his finish was excellent. 

I know we have a post match thread, but it seems to be mainly people saying I told you so, or he's still shit, and not really any insight into the game. So if anyone who was there could enlighten those that weren't on how we lined up tactically, did we play 352 or 532? Did we change formation for the second half or at any point? Does it look like a it will be successful? Did we tend to play through the middle, down the flanks or over the top, I saw some criticism of hoofball, did we play too direct? Did that change in the second half?

From listening to stringer and young and reading bits on this forum, my conclusion is we started out 532 played like the worst team in the world first half, played like Barcelona second half and vardy is the new messi. If anyone can help flesh that opinion out a bit would be much appreciated.

352 throughout. First half incredibly flat lines, no one playing in between the lines and an over reliance on long balls into channels or getting it to the wing back as soon as possible. There was no attempt or possibility to play through the middle as they were strung out in a straight line. SSL was badly out of sorts (possibly not helped by having to switch from right to left after Whitbread was carried off). Most of our very very limited attacking threat came from shots from Konchesky who posed little to no threat. RDL got forward but was never supported by either the midfield or the forwards making near post runs. All in all one of the worst city displays you'll see.

Second half the midfield pushed further up and actually ran at the Boro back line. Drinkwater took up a more advanced role ahead of King and James. Boro inexplicably began hoofing it to Jukavitch, Emnes dropped very deep and they just sort of stopped playing completely. We didn't make them do this (just as they didn't make us play ineptly first half) they just did it to themselves. Moore looked assured (albeit against limited oppo) and he played closer to RDL. One very brief moment of positivity from wood led to a goal, he was then rightfully hauled off (up to this point Vardy had done precious little too but what little he had done was infinitely more than Wood). The introduction of Nugent took the game so far away from Boro it isn't true, he won every flick on (even ones where he blatantly had no intention of winning) and constantly ran at them. Boro never closed us down and were as ponderous as we'd been first half.

It is very early days for that formation, you couldn't have met more accommodating hosts than Boro if you needed a confidence boost, there are things that work but there was an awful awful lot first half that didn't. That first XI needs as much time together as possible to get used to it.

The simple answer to each and all of those questions is, we won. That is enough for me. If hoofball does the trick, I'm not too fussed, so long as we can switch to a passing game when hoofball won't work (I believe we can - I've seen exactly these players do just that.)

One thing I will say - and I've thought this for a long time - is that Pearson is very good at motivating the team at half-time. I've noticed this over the past two season, that a poor first half is followed by a much better second. Sadly, on occasion the first half has been so poor we were already too far behind or we didn't improve enough, and we've lost game, but I would say that 90% of the time we play better 2nd half. I think this was also born out in pre-season - because I very much doubt that the players got a rocket up the backside during friendlies, at least not to the level they would do for competetive matches - hence we didn't really see it then, and besides, usually the 2nd half was a completely different team.

We played 3-5-2 but in the first half the wingbacks were too high up the pitch which meant RDL was marked and wasn't an out-ball at all. He also had no support from the CM when he finally got the ball resulting in passing it back to the defence.

Second half was much of the same but wingbacks looked slightly deeper. From the moment we scored we were our usual selves and the CM looked very good.

When Nugent came on we were already in the ascendancy so his impact seemed greater than it was. We also kept the ball on the floor a lot more which would have been beneficial to Wood.

Exactly this! (although I do agree with everything you've posted).

I said at half time that Middlesbrough's movement was better than ours. Vardy made a couple of decent runs but they came to nothing. However, for their goal, that number 19 (Caroyal or however its spelt) created that run himself so the lad played the ball in behind, all he had to do was provide a decent cross.

When Nugent come on, his movement was top class. There was a massive difference. Those people who don't rate him need to watch him carefully. One minute he was wide left, the next he was on the right. He's rarely stationary.

Anyway, thought we were excellent second half, and if we can play like that with that tempo and urgency every game, then there is no reason why we cannot challenge for a top 6th finish. Pleased for Vardy also, been saying on here all summer that he's been wrote off to quickly, yesterday his finish was excellent.

Fully agree about Nugent.

The signs of a top striker at this level AREN'T only about goals scored. It's also about movement, positioning and creating a striking partnership.

Is it me or did we generally do better last season with Nugent and Vardy as the striking partnership?

They seem to have a good understanding of each others game AND that key ingredient.. They are both quick.

It's still early but, to play Wood effectively, you need to play a certain way. I don't want us to play that way. I reckon we look a more dangerous side with a couple of quick men up top.

However, it is early days.

We played 3-5-2 but in the first half the wingbacks were too high up the pitch which meant RDL was marked and wasn't an out-ball at all. He also had no support from the CM when he finally got the ball resulting in passing it back to the defence.

Second half was much of the same but wingbacks looked slightly deeper. From the moment we scored we were our usual selves and the CM looked very good.

When Nugent came on we were already in the ascendancy so his impact seemed greater than it was. We also kept the ball on the floor a lot more which would have been beneficial to Wood.

To be honest I thought De Laet was further forward in the second half. The difference was that the midfield was much more fluid and we were able to a) get the ball to him more often and b) give him a lot more options when he did get the ball.

Think you're playing down Nugent's role too. He linked with Vardy much better than Wood did, he won more headers than Wood and his runs and general positional play gave the midfield more options.

Fully agree about Nugent.

The signs of a top striker at this level AREN'T only about goals scored. It's also about movement, positioning and creating a striking partnership.

Is it me or did we generally do better last season with Nugent and Vardy as the striking partnership?

They seem to have a good understanding of each others game AND that key ingredient.. They are both quick.

It's still early but, to play Wood effectively, you need to play a certain way. I don't want us to play that way. I reckon we look a more dangerous side with a couple of quick men up top.

However, it is early days.

Agree... Also, I've said about the Nugent/Vardy partneship before. When those two played at the start of last season, we were playing freeflowing attacking football. Nugent has got to be the first name on the team sheet for me, his movement is crucial and did make the difference. Vardy's attitude to close everything/everyone down creates chances as well. Two fast men could be the answer, although I do personally rate Wood. 

Totally agree with your views. Tried to get an overview of what actually happened but only read as you write - the usual absurd slagging or "told you so" - the topic is becoming totally useless with lots of comments being made on anything but the actual match. I have tried to follow City on this site, however the negativity and "jumping" out of topic is driving me mad and deterring me and probably others from following City online - at least on "our own site". Stringer and Young arent actually the brightest commentators in the land so their views arent actually much better........ where the h... to go to get a serious view on what actually happened. Im abroad so am unable "to see for myself".....

A copy of the post I made in the post-match thread:

Shocking first half, brilliant last 40 minutes.

We were far too flat in the first half, the midfield trio were in a line, barely got on the ball and when they did, it just went back to the CBs. They then lumped it long to Wood and Vardy, who won absolutely jack. We could and maybe should've been more than one down at HT, Emnes and Juke both fluffed great chances.

I was wondering about 5 minutes into the second half what we were going to do to change it, as we would have lost comfortably had we continued in the same fashion. Fortunately we just seemed to click in to gear, we had a five minute spell just before Drinkwater's goal where we put them under huge pressure, including a big penalty call, and the equaliser came at just the right time.

Unlike at times last season, we continued to press after getting the equaliser. The midfield (Drinkwater especially) started getting on the ball more and importantly started playing between the lines of their defence and midfield. De Laet started getting forward more, and was a constant threat. Nugent made a huge difference, he won headers, made the right runs, and linked brilliantly with Vardy. The winner when it came was no less than we deserved, and we were fairly comfortable until the end.

Before the game started, I criticised Nigel on here for a) playing Konchesky at LWB, b) for not starting Marshall or Knocky, and c) for starting Vardy ahead of Schlupp or Nugent.

I'm happy to say I was proved wrong on all three counts. Although I don't see him having a future at LWB due to his age, Konchesky played reasonably well. The midfield, once they upped the tempo in the second half, dominated, and Vardy's goal speaks for itself.

Well done Nigel.

Archived