Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Clive Redman

In-depth Interview with Brian Little

Brian Little spoke candidly to Soar Magazine about his highs and lows with the Foxes and his acrimonious departure from the club. Here is a flavour of what Brian had to say...

Overall...

“I had a great time at Leicester City. I got on really well with the people there and pretty much everything about it was great, apart from perhaps the last three or four days, where it sort of fell apart. It was a bit messy and, on reflection, it could’ve been dealt with differently, but that will never change now.

“From the minute I walked in I felt very happy there. It was a good time and we worked hard, I just had three great years. We had a few bad days, such as losing 5-1 away to Cambridge United at the start of the 1991/92 season. We got revenge on them later on in the year with the 5-0 win at Filbert Street, and that was my favourite ever night in football. It was my best as a manager and as a coach. I’ve won 7-1 in the Premier League and won the League Cup with Aston Villa, but my favourite game of all time is that win against Cambridge. I thought it was a brilliant night of football. My team played absolutely brilliantly and the atmosphere was fantastic.

“Sometimes I was accused of playing a little bit defensively but I always thought we were quite an adventurous team, albeit with a strong defensive mentality. My full-backs or my wing-backs were always encouraged to go forward and when we got the system right, we played some good football.â€

On the City players...

“Walshy was always great. Most Friday mornings he didn’t train because his knees and ankles were sore. People would ask me when I was going to pick the team and I used to say. ‘I’m not picking the team until 12pm tomorrow because I know once Walshy sees the pitch, he’ll want to play!’ If we’d picked the team on a Friday he’d never have played!

“We signed the likes of Iwan Roberts Thomo (Steve Thompson) and Steve Agnew, who were good for us. We had some good lads. There were a few that I had to keep an eye on and there was Gary Mills who was the perfect professional footballer, he was an immaculate person. We had a real good mix and little rogues like Paul Fitzpatrick, who was a real character around the place!

“In terms of my signings at Leicester, I loved Agnew, Thompson and Roberts because I felt that they just added something extra to my team. Thomo was a great signing for the way we played. We had lots of energy in midfield and then we had him with his passing game.

To find out more about Brian's views on his departure from the club and to read the full interview visit...

http://www.soarmagazine.co.uk/the-life-of-brian/

Was like a breath of fresh air when he came. The club spent 6 years in the doldrums and what made his early tenure really good was that he had to build a squad on peanuts.

I still love watching the 5-0 semi final win against Cambridge. What a night that was and the play off final win against Derby. Brian Little can be regarded as a legend and one of the great LCFC managers.

I was disappointed like most the way he left,yet if seen him in the street i would shake his hand and say thank you for the brilliant memories.

Was like a breath of fresh air when he came. The club spent 6 years in the doldrums and what made his early tenure really good was that he had to build a squad on peanuts.

I still love watching the 5-0 semi final win against Cambridge. What a night that was and the play off final win against Derby. Brian Little can be regarded as a legend and one of the great LCFC managers.

Agreed. We all knew that if villa came in for him then he would go as they were seen as his club. His departure should have been handled better but reading the report it seems that he was torn between leaving a club he had come to love for one he had loved for a long time, emotions were high which probably led to his 'I'm staying statement' only for him to go. I booed and shouted abuse as load as everyone else in the stadium that night when he returned but if I saw him now I would shake his hand and reminisce. That night against Cambridge was a legendary City match marking the end of the old (pleat et el) era as we smashed the doors down to a bright new one. Any younger fans who haven't seen the Cambridge match yet, plug your earphones in, turn up the volume and enjoy. If you have seen it then you'll know how much you'll enjoy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PrC-fBS2gE

BL's first season coincided with my first season ticket as a young man and will always remain some of my favorite as a City fan... But the nature of his departure will always taint the great work he did here...from BRIAN START THE WAVE to JUDAS JUDAS JUDAS...

Agreed. We all knew that if villa came in for him then he would go as they were seen as his club. His departure should have been handled better but reading the report it seems that he was torn between leaving a club he had come to love for one he had loved for a long time, emotions were high which probably led to his 'I'm staying statement' only for him to go. I booed and shouted abuse as load as everyone else in the stadium that night when he returned but if I saw him now I would shake his hand and reminisce. That night against Cambridge was a legendary City match marking the end of the old (pleat et el) era as we smashed the doors down to a bright new one. Any younger fans who haven't seen the Cambridge match yet, plug your earphones in, turn up the volume and enjoy. If you have seen it then you'll know how much you'll enjoy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PrC-fBS2gE

What's happened to our supporters?! Why don't we support like this anymore??

They really were the days!!!!!!

OOO Tommy Wright!!!!!!

-Tommy Wright and Rooster Russell

-5-0 Cambridge

-ZDS at Notts County

-11000 at Charlton (at the Hammers) even though we lost

-And those amazing play offs

-The atmospheres

-The noise in the kop

Maybe my age at the time but the O' Neil years did not beat it for me. The football wasn't great . I mean Gary Coatsworth played for us. BUT it felt great to be a leicester fan back then. It still does but I'm 42 now and I moan too much.

I was playing volley ball on a beach in Belize listening to the Cambridge match when we whooped them 5-0 - serving with 9 Para Sqn RE - And this match was being aired live over the BBC world service, there was also two other city fans with me at the time.

It was just iconic that I was so far away, but yet so close to home. We got so pissed that night it was fantastic. That memory will always stay with me.

I did make it back for the play-off final as well.

Judas no he went back to the club of his dreams.

Just as we would want walshie to do if he was a good manager.

BL made one mistake for me not being honest with us.

Heard him on a brummy radio show not long after he left.

He admitted he had left in the wrong way and wished he had been honest with us before he left.

Also said he respected our fans even after the crap he got.

As we were some of the best fans anywhere in the country.

-Tommy Wright and Rooster Russell

-5-0 Cambridge

-ZDS at Notts County

-11000 at Charlton (at the Hammers) even though we lost

-And those amazing play offs

-The atmospheres

-The noise in the kop

Maybe my age at the time but the O' Neil years did not beat it for me. The football wasn't great . I mean Gary Coatsworth played for us. BUT it felt great to be a leicester fan back then. It still does but I'm 42 now and I moan too much.

Brings out goose bumps just thinking about it!!!!!!

I don't think i've ever been wetter in my life than behind the goal signing our hearts out at notts county away ..... one of the greatest football memories!!!!!

Gary Mills scratching his arse and pulling his shorts up to moon Bristol Rovers fans when taking a throw in in front of their vocal carrot crunchers!!!!!! Brilliant!!!!!

I'm 44 ..... the moaning only gets worse mate!!!!

What's happened to our supporters?! Why don't we support like this anymore??

The atmosphere has changed due to the stagnant family atmosphere clubs have embraced and the new stadium is too open. The old stadium the wall of noise would bounce off the smaller stands and I am sure it was rated one of the best acoustically in the country.

The notts county zenith data thingy was a great night - soaked through I thought I'd go for a piss at half time to get out of the rain only to find the toilet didn't have a roof!!

Loved the Brian Little days, the team gave everything and so did the fans - there seemed to be a real pride amongst the supporters.

He left under a cloud but he was successful here so that was always going to happen.

The notts county zenith data thingy was a great night - soaked through I thought I'd go for a piss at half time to get out of the rain only to find the toilet didn't have a roof!!

Loved the Brian Little days, the team gave everything and so did the fans - there seemed to be a real pride amongst the supporters.

He left under a cloud but he was successful here so that was always going to happen.

Your right, he unearthed an unusual mix of players that were limited but gave their all, you felt proud because of this, the likes of Colin Gibson we're knackered but found the energy for one final push, who could forget Southend away, 1 down and nicking 2 in the last 5 mins, blistering hot, packed terrace, that game says a lot about the little era.

Archived