Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Oasis

4 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Depends who you're seeing surely? The set list from the Bowie gig I saw was this,

Space Oddity

Changes

TVC15

Rebel Rebel

Golden Years

Be My Wife

Ashes to Ashes

John, I'm only Dancing

Queen Bitch

Fashion

Life On Mars

Blue Jean

Let's Dance

Stay

China Girl

Ziggy Stardust

Sound and Vision

Station to Station

Alabama Song

Young Americans

Panic in Detroit

Suffragette City

Fame 

Heroes

Jean Genie

Pretty Pink Rose

Modern Love

Rock n Roll Suicide.

Try playing that lot in 60 minutes!

What a set list that is by the way. 

• Like 1

I still don't think any band has been as big as them. I love the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian but they aren't on Oasis levels in terms of how big they are. It's mad that something like 250,000 people applied for Knebworth tickets, I just don't think that happens to bands nowadays.

19 hours ago, Line-X said:

So were 'Take That' who Noel referred to as being a costume change away from the Tweenies. 

Yes and what’s actually wrong with Take That? I don’t listen to them but they have a place and have been incredibly successful and are loved by millions.

Just because you don’t like a particular artist doesn’t mean they’re very very 💩 it really is an immature standpoint you’re taking. 
Stop being so dismissive of bands you don’t like, there are  plenty I don’t like but I can understand why others do.

Anyway, Oasis have sold millions of albums, sold out concerts everywhere and had a long and successful career and if they reformed today would sell out venues over and over again.

Your very very 💩 statement doesn’t really stand up does it?

7 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes and what’s actually wrong with Take That? I don’t listen to them but they have a place and have been incredibly successful and are loved by millions.

Just because you don’t like a particular artist doesn’t mean they’re very very 💩 it really is an immature standpoint you’re taking. 
Stop being so dismissive of bands you don’t like, there are  plenty I don’t like but I can understand why others do.

Anyway, Oasis have sold millions of albums, sold out concerts everywhere and had a long and successful career and if they reformed today would sell out venues over and over again.

Your very very 💩 statement doesn’t really stand up does it?

I didn't pass any comment on Take That, that was Noel. Jesus Christ...relax, calm down. It really doesn't matter. I don't give your two shits about Oasis and neither should you. Overreaction? 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I didn't pass any comment on Take That, that was Noel. Jesus Christ...relax, calm down. It really doesn't matter. I don't give your two shits about Oasis and neither should you. Overreaction? 

Yes on your part, why quote Noel anyway? We were chatting about the music. 
Im very calm, maybe your knickers are in a twist!

For someone who doesn’t give two shits about Oasis you seem to spend a whole lot of time on the Oasis thread 😀

39 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes on your part, why quote Noel anyway? We were chatting about the music. 
Im very calm, maybe your knickers are in a twist!

For someone who doesn’t give two shits about Oasis you seem to spend a whole lot of time on the Oasis thread 😀

A few posts? Really it doesn't matter - it was simply meant to be light hearted and you went into irrational meltdown. Learn from @Dr Marco

That's how to respond. lol

They are a very, very overrated shit band though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

A few posts? Really it doesn't matter - it was simply meant to be light hearted and you went into irrational meltdown. Learn from @Dr Marco

Harsh.

Looking back I think music needed them at that time. Early 90s music just seems to be general "acid house" or whatever it's referred too. Oasis (and Blur) were very influential in the next line of guitar bands that came along.

Also, even if you don't like them, they are clearly not "shit".

Edited by Fox92

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Harsh.

Looking back I think music needed them at that time. Early 90s music just seems to be general "acid house" or whatever it's referred too. Oasis (and Blur) were very influential in the next line of guitar bands that came along.

Also, even if you don't like them, they are clearly not "shit".

I do agree - but would add that music also needed something new. Although grunge/the Seattle scene was very much a return to its roots both that and the rather insipid Britpop movement didn't offer it. As I said, I think Oasis really managed to catch and surf the 90s laddo culture and capture an audience that wasn't necessarily familiar with guitar oriented rock and so were completely oblivious that others had done it before and appreciably better. 

That's my main criticism of Oasis, not simply Liam's utter lack of talent, or Noel's cringeworthy limitations as a guitar player, it's the sheer unoriginality to the point of being borderline theft. As the avid Beatles aficionado that you are, I'm sure you would acknowledge that. Every decent band has drawn inspiration and influence from those that have come before or those artists around them, but the difference is, they blend and progress those influences whilst retaining and forging their own identity. Oasis are a like a bad Beatles/Stones/Who pub cover band and I found at the time that almost invariably those that rated them were completely ignorant of the latter. 

The best thing about them, other than their separation, was Zak Starkey, which is really rather telling. Although Tony McCarroll's court case was really rather entertaining too. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Stop being so condescending , no irrational meltdown here, just pointing out your ridiculous point of view, and your last sentence shows just how stupid you are 😉 

5 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Stop being so condescending , no irrational meltdown here, just pointing out your ridiculous point of view, 

Seriously, you need to lighten up a bit. 

and your last sentence shows just how stupid you are 😉 

Wow. 

Whilst on the subject of stupidity though...

Edited by Line-X

Yes wow. 
It was a needless childish comment repeating what you originally stated.

so again just because you don’t like something it doesn’t mean it’s 💩 

Of course it doesn't - it also doesn't mean that you have to get so wound up and personally invested in it. 

12 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Oasis were great, for a bit. Absolutely superb. Swagger, nonsense, a handful of really good songs and they made a brilliant noise. Saw them at Granby Halls in 1995 and it was one of the best gigs I’ve seen before or since. Liam is clearly a total arse but he was a really good front man for that band at that time. Again, just swagger and attitude, delivered perfectly. What more do you want?

But they did go rapidly downhill. First album brilliant, second album good in parts, by the third they were a turgid mess.

They really do seem to annoy a certain set of pretentious muso types though, and I’ve never really understood why. I enjoy plenty of brainy stuff sometimes, and plenty of technically skilled stuff, and plenty of classical, and jazz, and folk, and plenty of all sorts. And sometimes I enjoy something loud and silly with words that rhyme. Sometimes that’s all you need.

Perfectly summed up Sir. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Oasis were great, for a bit. Absolutely superb. Swagger, nonsense, a handful of really good songs and they made a brilliant noise. Saw them at Granby Halls in 1995 and it was one of the best gigs I’ve seen before or since. Liam is clearly a total arse but he was a really good front man for that band at that time. Again, just swagger and attitude, delivered perfectly. What more do you want?

But they did go rapidly downhill. First album brilliant, second album good in parts, by the third they were a turgid mess.

They really do seem to annoy a certain set of pretentious muso types though, and I’ve never really understood why. I enjoy plenty of brainy stuff sometimes, and plenty of technically skilled stuff, and plenty of classical, and jazz, and folk, and plenty of all sorts. And sometimes I enjoy something loud and silly with words that rhyme. Sometimes that’s all you need.

Unfortunately some people have to be the loudest in the room