Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Oasis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What a load of rubbish, if he doesn’t like a band then don’t listen to them let alone make a 5 minute video about them.

Any bands lyrics can be picked apart including his favourite band Radiohead! 
whom incidentally I also like. 

Relax. You didn't have to watch it "you know what I mean our kid?"

He's right though. They are very, very shit.  

I was at both of these below gigs, Earls Court in 1995 and Balloch Country Park, Loch Lomond in 1996. There isn't a lot of footage of Loch Lomond apart from terrible crowd recordings unfortunately, so it's a 2 minute clip. I still have my ticket stub for Loch Lomond, sadly my Earls Court stub didn't survive. The hype surrounding them during 96 and 97 was off the scale and it genuinely felt like being part of something getting tickets for both these gigs, I was in my mid 20's and a bit stoopid then though...

Found around 50 ticket stubs the other day in a tin. Brought back a few memories. Been to hundreds of gigs but the others must have been lost in various house moves, sadly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The menacing, brooding stage presence always annoyed me - you're on stage, so perform, don't snarl.

I've been to loads of gigs over the years. Lots of heavy rock, metal, mainly, but a very broad range from Jose Feliciano to Van Morrison to Motorhead and lots in between. I've seen Oasis 4 times and what disappointed me every time was the length of the shows. 60 minutes dead, then a 2 song encore (roughly). I don't want musicians to embark on long monologues either, but there was really very little connection with the crowd, other than Liam mumbling shit in barely comprehensible Mancunian. They really had very little stage craft, though I saw them in the 90's only, maybe they got better. In my mid 20's, I loved them, but I've come to see how limited they were with age. I don't dislike them now, but I stopped buying after the 4th album lol

Just now, Duquesne Whistle said:

I've been to loads of gigs over the years. Lots of heavy rock, metal, mainly, but a very broad range from Jose Feliciano to Van Morrison to Motorhead and lots in between. I've seen Oasis 4 times and what disappointed me every time was the length of the shows. 60 minutes dead, then a 2 song encore (roughly). I don't want musicians to embark on long monologues either, but there was really very little connection with the crowd, other than Liam mumbling shit in barely comprehensible Mancunian. They really had very little stage craft, though I saw them in the 90's only, maybe they got better. In my mid 20's, I loved them, but I've come to see how limited they were with age. I don't dislike them now, but I stopped buying after the 4th album lol

If you've got used to great front men like Mercury, Plant and Gillan, it's difficult to stomach such contempt. And musically they were pretty limited too.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If you've got used to great front men like Mercury, Plant and Gillan, it's difficult to stomach such contempt. And musically they were pretty limited too.

Before I'd seen Oasis, I'd seen Gillan, Plant, Bowie, Daltrey, Phil Lynott, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty and Ronnie James Dio, among many others, hence my disappointment with Oasis live. That said, I loved the gigs. It's easy to forget what a crest of a wave they were on in 95, 96.

They were on the front page of the newspapers every day. It was easy to get swept away with it at the time, there'd been such a dearth of decent music for years when they came along. Their snarling energy was the hook. Ok, they're limited and I put many, many bands and singers above them, but they have a place in music history for sure. 

As for stomaching such contempt, it's all part of Liam's act, he doesn't have the best voice and makes up for it with swaggering stupidity, there's nothing wrong with that, it's art, sort of lol

Edited by Duquesne Whistle

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I've seen Oasis 4 times and what disappointed me every time was the length of the shows. 60 minutes dead

I'd be 'disappointed' by the fact that's an hour too long.

When they first came out - aside from the fact that they sounded like a very dull and uninspired pub/wedding covers band, they looked like a bunch of geography supply teachers. Once the hype began, and Liam started his cringeworthy posturing and mouthing off they were always going to appeal to the prevalent Carling drinking, FHM subscribing laddos at the time I guess. Allied to the fact that guitars were a novel curiosity to these people - irrespective of how inept Noel and Bonehead were at playing them.  

The musical equivalent of a pot noodle. 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'd be 'disappointed' by the fact that's an hour too long.

When they first came out - aside from the fact that they sounded like a very dull and uninspired pub/wedding covers band, they looked like a bunch of geography supply teachers. Once the hype began, and Liam started his cringeworthy posturing and mouthing off they were always going to appeal to the prevalent Carling drinking, FHM subscribing laddos at the time I guess. Allied to the fact that guitars were a novel curiosity to these people - irrespective of how inept Noel and Bonehead were at playing them.  

The musical equivalent of a pot noodle. 

:rolleyes:

I thought you said you were going back to the coronavirus thread. I don't know how you survive with such a doom laden outlook lol

Thing is, I agree with you for the most part. Still enjoyed the gigs though, I did say I was young and stupid at the time, don't hate me for it.

Did I prefer Dylan, Bowie, Al Green and Steely Dan? Sure, but I've enjoyed most gigs I've gone to in one way or another. You should try it :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Sounds great to me, an hour long with no talking then leave....perfect gig.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Sounds great to me, an hour long with no talking then leave....perfect gig.

Depends who you're seeing surely? The set list from the Bowie gig I saw was this,

Space Oddity

Changes

TVC15

Rebel Rebel

Golden Years

Be My Wife

Ashes to Ashes

John, I'm only Dancing

Queen Bitch

Fashion

Life On Mars

Blue Jean