Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

King-Con

Was that not the best individual performance by a Leicester City striker for years.

King Connolly not only grabbed three goals but gave the Stoke defenders a non-stop nightmare with his constant demand for the ball, his constant probing, his constant ability to find space and his eagerness to strike at goal.

It was truly a 10 out of 10 display and what an example to his colleagues.

Once again there were further signs of a partnership developing between himself and MDV and it was good to see the big striker bag a beauty.

True he still looked clumsy at times but he worked himself to a standstill, played a part in so many promising Leicester moves and mostly held the ball up effectively against fairly uncompromising opposition.

There were other positives too, in particular the second half contribution of substitute Elvis Hammond who, again out of position, showed he could shoot on target, showed a fair bit of pace and trickery, showed he could pass and showed himself willing to chase back and do a useful job out of deefence.

Indeed I was far more impressed with him than Sylla who seems more of a pretty showboater than an effective footballer. His looked totally out of his element with the one shot I recall him having - a mishit volley from a very promising position. And, again he faded into ineptitude.

Again though (although three points was a welcome and in some ways impressive home start) the team once more conceded goals too easily (that's 6 in two games).

McCarthy seemed to have a better game being right inhis opponents pocket all night but Gilbert again looked woeful, Maybury had his hands full and Johansson looked too casual for his own good at times.

Tactically I found it difficult to understand why we passed on the ground so well in the first half then passed in the air during the second half as we completely and unnecessarily surrendered the initiative for a spell by (again) seeking to hang on to what we had.

On several occasions in that second half we stopped passing and moving with proper urgency and had Stoke not had a man sent off that might have proved costly.

Joey worked hard again but otherwise the midfield often misfired because it was too static. If only they could find Connolly's energy levels.

Finally we have serious problems in the air (both in defence and attack). We are just not aerially dominant enough which makes it hard to deal with crosses into our box and equally unlikely that our defenders will pose a serious threat when we have attacking free kicks and corners.

Our first goal came from a ground level free kick and that's what I would like to see more of when we put the ball into the penalty area.

Critical conclusion. We need a change at left back, I still prefer Stearman at right back (even in preference to Maybury) or at centre-back and our midfield four needs sorting because Wilcox and Momo are just not convincing.

Altogether though a night to remember and the best have ever seen Connolly play.

:D Thanks for using my username in your topic :cool:

153776[/snapback]

Not quite ... but I still couldn't think of anything more appropriate. :):):)

If you missed it you missed a treat so rare you might never see the like again from a Leicester lad. It has to go down as one of my top 10 City memories over the last 45 years.

I tipped Con for 18 goals this season but on this form he'll grab that by Christmas.

Elvis might come through but otherwise I can't see many goals coming from anyone other than the two main strikers. We badly need Hughes back.

Not quite ... but I still couldn't think of anything more appropriate. :)  :)  :)

If you missed it you missed a treat so rare you might never see the like again from a Leicester lad. It has to go down as one of my top 10 City memories over the last 45 years.

I tipped Con for 18 goals this season but on this form he'll grab that by Christmas.

Elvis might come through but otherwise I can't see many goals coming from anyone other than the two main strikers. We badly need Hughes back.

153784[/snapback]

Agreed on that.

That had better shut his critics up, he's always been a top notch striker for this level and class is permanent.

Consistency is the key, but you can't argue with the start he's made, and the amount of confidence that will bring.

Not quite ... but I still couldn't think of anything more appropriate. :)  :)  :)

153784[/snapback]

why??

williams and joey were awesome tonight!!

joey covered every blade of grass!!

Agreed with everything you say Thracian except about Gilbert!

I was expecting a right wimp who didn't know his left from his right as all I heard were bad reports from Saturday. But I sat right where he played first half and thought he was a very sound player. The only thing I can see people faulting him is being skinned a couple of times, but you can't blame the lad for that. Stokes wingers were VERY impressive and Maybury was a few times skinned by them (or like you say had his hands full). But tackling he didn't miss, he read attacking passes cutting out at least 3 in the first half and has a very decent cross. Bit confused how he was woeful, that word belongs to Wilcox. When your left midfielder wonders into the centre of the pitch and is more bothered about mouthing off than defending, it makes ur job as a left back even harder.

Joey's really improved, he's got the work rate and now has the quality it seems!

Williams was in and out for me but like Connolly and De Vries he was there where and when it mattered (Through ball for Connollys second springs to mind)

As for Connolly himself, first class! You don't save those! *Andy Gray Style*

And what about MDV! Top job son, keep those critics mouths shut!

Agreed with everything you say Thracian except about Gilbert!

I was expecting a right wimp who didn't know his left from his right as all I heard were bad reports from Saturday. But I sat right where he played first half and thought he was a very sound player. The only thing I can see people faulting him is being skinned a couple of times, but you can't blame the lad for that. Stokes wingers were VERY impressive and Maybury was a few times skinned by them (or like you say had his hands full). But tackling he didn't miss, he read attacking passes cutting out at least 3 in the first half and has a very decent cross. Bit confused how he was woeful, that word belongs to Wilcox. When your left midfielder wonders into the centre of the pitch and is more bothered about mouthing off than defending, it makes ur job as a left back even harder.

153797[/snapback]

We must have sat pretty close to each other but it was second half he seemed to be left for dead on two or three occasions. He seemed well short on pace and in the first half I felt he was a bit awkward and he didn't release the ball swiftly enough (leaving the recipient short of options).

Certainly I agree the Stoke winger was a handful, that he may indeed have been left exposed and that Maybury had equally uncomfortable times.

I was left wondering how Stearman would have done at right back or, indeed, at centre-back cos defensively we were vulnerable again.

We must have sat pretty close to each other but it was second half he seemed to be left for dead on two or three occasions. He seemed well short on pace and in the first half I felt he was a bit awkward and he didn't release the ball swiftly enough (leaving the recipient short of options).

Certainly I agree the Stoke winger was a handful, that he may indeed have been left exposed  and that Maybury had equally uncomfortable times.

I was left wondering how Stearman would have done at right back or, indeed, at centre-back cos defensively we were vulnerable again.

153804[/snapback]

yer true it's hard to tell as we'll never know how stearman would have coped. I'm just delighted we have won and played so well, the 3rd goal was something special.

I would like gilbert to get a couple of games, if it was a constant thing that he was being left for dead week in week out then there is little more to be said, if taggart had come on and had a go past him i might have agreed :D

no way i dont agreeewith hardly any thing you say, mainly about momo... he looks sharp, he tracks back.. his crossing needs to improve but i think he is a great winger.. as for joey shining in midfeild... he did but williams dominated the midfield going forward.. hes not greedy on the ball and he looks for the pass rather than hoofing it into row z :P

de vries did look good on serveral occasions today and was involved in alot of vital moments of the game today but so where many of the leicester players, the only thing i can pick fault with is towards the end wilcox looked knackerd, and the defending looked abit to keen on watching the ball :P other wise i think we played an awesome game of football :)

Dickov got one against wimbledon in our last promotion season. including 2 pens.

superb performance by the team, shame to concede 2 goals but fantastic goals by connolly and de vries did well with his goal although stoke fans seem to think he handled it whilst bringing it down? jealous c-nuts i think cant face it connolly danced around them in the last 30 mins!

WE LOVE YOU LEICESTER WE DO!

I'm really pleased for Connolly, he deserved his hat-trick. He has worked hard, and been very unlucky at times. I'll be honest, and admit I was worried at one point last season that it wasn't going to happen for him, and had suggested that perhaps he needed to move on and start again, but his luck seems to have changed, and fortunately he's still here.

I do think that defensively we haven't got it right yet, we let in two soft goals again, and there were times my heart was in my mouth. I still think the midfield is lacking; Joey has improved no end, but Williams can be absent for long periods of the game. It's a shame, because he is clearly a talented lad.

This shouldn't detract from what is a good result, and a well deserved three points. I can't wait to see how we fare once the little 'niggles' have been sorted!

Connolly is championship leading goalscorer which will do his confidence the world of good. Also the crowd chanting " we"ve got Dave Connolly" will help boost his confidence. I was impressed with the wqay he finished his goals especially the last one as it looked a tight angle. :)

I was one of Connoly's doubters but thought he was class against Sheff and his hatrick last night bodes us well forsome cracking matches to come. He just seems more hungry this season, maybe the rest he had in pre-season helped him. Well done Connolly. :D

why??

williams and joey were awesome tonight!!

joey covered every blade of grass!!

153794[/snapback]

Who said anything critical of Williams or Joey? Look at my match ratings.

Having said that, neither look like scoring goals very often so where will they come from?

Sylla hardly looks a marksman and the defenders are not Walsh/Taggert types. It all heaps too much on the front two.

yer true it's hard to tell as we'll never know how stearman would have coped. I'm just delighted we have won and played so well, the 3rd goal was something special.

I would like gilbert to get a couple of games, if it was a constant thing that he was being left for dead week in week out then there is little more to be said, if taggart had come on and had a go past him i might have agreed  :D

153805[/snapback]

If only Taggert were the fastest train he was ever going to have to catch. :)

Didn't get to the game sadly, but would like to say how delighted I am by the result against my hometown club. I'll always have a soft spot for Stoke (and Port Vale), but this is great. Stoke fans will say they don't have a thing with Leicester, but so many of them still begrudge the play offs in '96 and Garry Parker. I was still at school when that happened. Haha!

Fascintating to read the Stoke threads as suggested by BlueFoxtim.

They offered a few points to ponder before we get carried away in the euphoria.

Notably how many times Stoke had gilt-edged chances with time and space in the box.

They WERE on top when their man was sent off cos for some reason we had stopped playing the ball on the floor and having the urgency to pass and move.

There was again a big hint that we were standing on our one goal lead and AGAIN< AGAIN<AGAIN it might well have cost us.

Parts of the team went to sleep or hadn't got the stamina to do their jobs in the second half (Momo,Wilcox,Gilbert). I just don't understand. Professional footballers unfit at the start of a season.

Look at Connolly and Joey...that was fitness and I thought, for a big man, DeVries lasted well too cos he was always involved.

Someone however had got the message across about shoot on sight and this was a big plus for us. Now someone has to get over that we play with urgency for 90 minutes plus stoppages...without anyone forgetting the shooting message.

Actually, I feel that because Joey started to fade in the second half, Stoke began to assert themselves on the match.

Do not take this as a criticism of Joey. In the first half, he was superb, fighting for everything, closing people down. In the 2nd half, he slowed down a bit (not surprised how hard he was working), allowing Stoke into the game. Probably our most improved player on last season (tied with De Vries if he continues to play like last night).

As I said the other day I think a big shout out needs to go to Connolly's mum and dad for having that bottle of blue nun and conceiving this legend.

I honestly don't think we realise how good Connolly is. This is him at his best, with natural ease. That is 11 goals in his last 13 games (13 goals in 14 if you include his 2 in pre-season)

Phenomenal!!!

As Happy Gilmore said in the film

'OOOOOOOOOOOOOH HAPPY'S JUST LEARNED HOW TO PUTT'

'OOOOOOOOOOOOOH CONNOLLY'S JUST LEARNED HOW TO SCORE'

Other teams beware, Connolly's gonna get ya.

Archived