Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Most Unexpected Victories?

I was at Anfield in 1981 when we ended Liverpool's several year unbeaten home record despite being at the bottom of the league at the time.

Looked it up now, we had lost 5 in the league in a row, were bottom, they were 85 games unbeaten at home. Only one outcome...

My honourable mention has to go to the Tottenham FA Cup match back in the 05/06 (?) season. A side managed by Levein and containing some of the worst dross to pull on a City shirt in the last thirty-odd years, up against a Spurs side well-ensconsed in the Prem and seeking Champions League football. Half an hour in and it all seems to be going by the book as Spurs lead 2-0, but thanks to a tap-in even Hammond couldn't miss, a deflected hit and hope from Stephen Hughes, and - most unexpected of all - De Vries actually discovering some vestige of finishing ability in the final few minutes, we ran out 3-2 winners. One of the very few highlights of Leveins managerial tenure.

This was an incredible game, looked absolutely down and out at ht as everyone expected but somehow we managed to win it. I'll never forget the look of disbelief on my Dad's face as De Vries' winner dribbled into the net, I'm sure he miss hit it.

Also, the 99/00 FA Cup game against Arsenal, although not technically a win, was one of the most unbelievable games I saw at Filbo. Arsenal battered us for 120 minutes but the exceptional Tim Flowers made some outstanding saves and even when he was beaten Robbie Savage's blonde curls flew threw the air to clear one of the line. The penalties were every bit as exciting and by the time Peggy had made the winning save my head was pounding and Arsenal's star studded team were beaten: cue the standard post-match Wenger whinge.

Those were great times. 

Certainly the 1-0 against Man Utd at Old Trafford.

I can remember a good win at Anfield in my time as a fan too, it was early in the season away on a wednesday night, i think 97-98 season, possibly second game of the season, we won 2-1, and oddly enough i remember us having a pretty good record against them in that period of the late 90s early 2000s

Probably not the most but West Brom away when Howard bagged a trick in our relegation season ranks pretty high. Remember thinking after that there was no way we'd go down.

My boss at that time was a West Brom fan and I'd told him all week that we were going to beat them 4-1. I won £100 of that prediction. I too thought we'd be safe after that.

I was at Anfield in 1981 when we ended Liverpool's several year unbeaten home record despite being at the bottom of the league at the time.

3 years on here several = 7

I was too and all this was in a thread a few weeks ago

Orient away fulham the same season.

Guest bss9401

In recent years for games I attended the biggest shock win would be the 0-2 at Southampton but for all time it would be the 1-2 at Anfield 1981.

Guest bss9401

Remember the Liverpool 'jobbie' in 1981. Lost dismally to Exeter, (fooking EXETER)!!!   in the FA Cup on the Wednesday, were rock bottom of the league and rock bottom in confidence. Went to Anfield 3 days later. They were top, and hadn't lost at home in 80 odd games dating back to 1978. Beat that lot of red sh**e, then followed it up by beating the 'other' red sh**e, (MU), 1-0 the following week....Completed an almighty treble by beating 'Spuds' on their ground a fortnight later,( though we lost at Roker in the meantime). Drew with NFFC, (who were decentish then) and finished the run by beating 'the Arse'.....All downhill from then on, and relegation loomed. But what a bloody great month to be a Leicester fan!

Good summary of an incredible run of results that season. I went to those games and it made for great memories during that period. As you point out though it wasn't enough for us to stay up!

November 1994. Beat Arsenal 2-1 at Filbert Street the day after Brian Little resigned as a manager. I think it might have been George Graham's last game in charge of Arsenal.

Ian Ormondroyd scored the winner, or so we thought. The goal was later given as an own goal, so Big Ian never scored in the PL.

Archived