Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Most Unexpected Victories?

We've had a few threads in the past about LCFC's most shocking defeats (Harlow/Wycombe anyone?), but I don't think I've seen a thread in the recent past about when those circumstances are reversed.

So...what's the most memorable match you can think of where going into it due to team selection/form/quality of opposition, despite all the natural optimism that comes with being a City fan (most of the time :ph34r: ), you were thinking..."There's no way on Earth, Heaven, Hell, or any possible Universe that we're getting anything from this one..."

...and somehow 90 minutes later, against all odds, City come away with a totally unexpected victory, leaving you surprised and ecstatic in equal measure for the week ahead.

My honourable mention has to go to the Tottenham FA Cup match back in the 05/06 (?) season. A side managed by Levein and containing some of the worst dross to pull on a City shirt in the last thirty-odd years, up against a Spurs side well-ensconsed in the Prem and seeking Champions League football. Half an hour in and it all seems to be going by the book as Spurs lead 2-0, but thanks to a tap-in even Hammond couldn't miss, a deflected hit and hope from Stephen Hughes, and - most unexpected of all - De Vries actually discovering some vestige of finishing ability in the final few minutes, we ran out 3-2 winners. One of the very few highlights of Leveins managerial tenure.

I now open it to the floor. What was your most unexpected City win?

That 2-0 vs Southampton recently as someone mentioned. The 1-0 at QPR this season. Also if we go back to the season after we were promoted from League One there was a 1-0 away win at Middlesbrough (think they had been relegated from prem previous year). Remember listening to that one and going mental in disbelief that we were winning. An odd choice I think but one recent game that sticks in my memory.

Beating Newcastle 2-0 just after they had signed had signed Shearer. Keller played a blinder of course. Beating Arsenal 2-1 in 94. As bad as they were that season, it was still a massive shock.

But you're right, the Spurs one was complete madness, how the hell we got a result out of that the way we were playing at the time I'll never know.

Forest away, 3-2. 'Victory' would really have to be defined as a Leicester win and a Bolton draw so yeah I'd stick that in there.

QPR this season too, saw their line-up and how good they'd been up to that point and fully expected defeat. My favourite game of the season personally.

Not quite a win and not before kick off but the most unlikely result I've ever experienced would be losing 4-1 at Villa Park with about 7-8 minutes to go in 1994 (I think?) only for David Lowe to bag a brace and come away with a 4-4 draw.  Was pandemonium in the away end.  Great memories.  :)

My first away game - 1-0 win at a high flying Birmingham City who were pushing for European qualification. 

La Manga had just hit, depleted team and we went and pulled off one of our 3 away victories that season. 

Brilliant memories. 

My first away game - 1-0 win at a high flying Birmingham City who were pushing for European qualification. 

La Manga had just hit, depleted team and we went and pulled off one of our 3 away victories that season. 

Brilliant memories. 

I was at Anfield in 1981 when we ended Liverpool's several year unbeaten home record despite being at the bottom of the league at the time.

I was there too - 3 days after going out of the cup to Exeter. Unbelievable.

Archived