Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Formation

Guest ttfn

Albrighton is a good player but he's going to have his work cut out keeping one of Knockaert or Mahrez out of the side regularly.

With the imminent arrival of Cambell and ulloa by the looks of it, how do you think the team will look?

In my opinion, 

Kasper

De Laet                        Moore                            Wes                 Schlupp

Knockaert                      Drinky                       James                    Mahrez 

Ulloa                      Cambell/Vardy

Predictions?

Nige will play a very attacking team, attempt to take the prem by storm and play a 4-1-2-2-1 with two sitting behind the front man! Then two wingers with one sitting midfielder!

Kasper

De laet wes upson schlupp

Drinky

Mahrez Albrighton

Campbell vardy

Ulloa

Then we'll lose 4-0 to everton and just play a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 depending on the team we're playing. Honestly can't judge who'll be playing and in what formation, that'll all be down to form and the opponents! The season is around thirty days away and we haven't even had our first preseason match yet! Predicting a starting eleven at this time is very hard.

Schmeichel

De Laet - Morgan - NEW CB - Schlupp

Mahrez - James - NEW CM - Drinkwater - Albrighton

Ulloa

Bench - Hamer, Moore, Upson/Wasyl, King/Hammond, Knockaert, Vardy, Nugent/Campbell

Personally, against Eveton I'd start...

Kasper

DeLaet - Moore - Wes - Schlupp

Drinky - James

Knocky                          Albrighton

Ulloa - Vardy

Didn't see that. Sorry.

No need to apologise, just nice to have discussions all in the same place.

I'm starting to think we might continue to play 4-4-2 rather a lot. I think we can pull it off but the team are going to have to get up and down the pitch as a team.

Formation experimentation early last season did not work well. I favour sticking to our tried and tested 442/4231 hybrid with a standard back four and drinky/James as the midfield two, then the forward thinking four can be more flexible, sometimes two out and out strikers, sometimes a forward dropping back. Sometimes a target man and proper wingers, sometimes inside forwards etc.

The last thing I want to see is three in either central defence or central midfield. Whenever we've tried that with this team it has had a horribly stifling effect on our forward play and failed to improve our defending.

Formation experimentation early last season did not work well. I favour sticking to our tried and tested 442/4231 hybrid with a standard back four and drinky/James as the midfield two, then the forward thinking four can be more flexible, sometimes two out and out strikers, sometimes a forward dropping back. Sometimes a target man and proper wingers, sometimes inside forwards etc.

The last thing I want to see is three in either central defence or central midfield. Whenever we've tried that with this team it has had a horribly stifling effect on our forward play and failed to improve our defending.

A lot of teams will be playing three in midfield this season, and if we put only two in Drinkwater & James up against them, we will more than likely struggle. 

Take Everton first game for instance, midfield more than likely consisting of McCarthy - Barry - Barkley, with Barkley pushing forward or playing behind Lukaku if he signs. Who's going to track Barkley, if we only go with two central midfielders? 

Three in midfield could be vital this season, instead of dominating possession, we will have to do a lot of chasing at times this season, and despite how good James & Drinkwater can be, against the big teams especially it will get too much for them. Chelsea away as well, Matic holding with Fabregas & Oscar pushing on, who's going to track them two making endless runs from midfield? 

After getting in Ulloa & Campbell, a central midfielder is a must, along with a RB or CB, then our business will look complete in my opinion.

Everton at home we should be trying to beat them on our own terms. If they've got three in the midfield that just leaves us with more room out wide and we should be llooking to exploit their weaknesses rather than accomodating them.

For me, the same applies for Chelsea away really though I'd understand people wanting to be a bit more cautious and try to nullify their play first. Ultimately though we're going to struggle away at Chelsea whatever, so it comes down to would you rather go out and try to beat them on our own terms and probably lose, or would you rather change your style to accommodate them and probably lose.

I honestly have no idea what I'd start with. It's going to be a bittersweet experience looking at the team sheet on day 1, as between Morgan/Upson/Wasyl/Moore and Knockaert/Mahrez/Albrighton/Vardy/Nugent/Ulloa, there isn't a single player that I wouldn't want in the starting XI! 

I propose a revolutionary new 6-2-3-3 formation...  :ph34r:

Everton at home we should be trying to beat them on our own terms. If they've got three in the midfield that just leaves us with more room out wide and we should be llooking to exploit their weaknesses rather than accomodating them.

For me, the same applies for Chelsea away really though I'd understand people wanting to be a bit more cautious and try to nullify their play first. Ultimately though we're going to struggle away at Chelsea whatever, so it comes down to would you rather go out and try to beat them on our own terms and probably lose, or would you rather change your style to accommodate them and probably lose.

Everton will probably play wide men themselves who will track back, more than likely being Mirallas along with Pienaar or McGeady. Coleman was the best RB in the Prem last season, while Baines will be at LB. They will probably go with 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. 

And yes we will probably struggle against Chelsea anyway, but playing three in midfield instead of two might be the difference of a 5-0 loss to say a 2-0 loss.

Against Everton I think we should go for it and use the same formation we were promoted with. I know this could be dangerous against stronger opposition, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

4-4-2

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Schlupp

Albrighton

James

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Vardy

Ulloa

There's no way anyone who we sign will walk into our team first and foremost, and people including Campbell, Wickham and Ulloa in our squads are really deluded if they think they're 'definitely' coming.

Judging by our CURRENT squad and form from the end of last season I would start the following:

Kasper

RDL
Wasyl

Big Wes

Schlupp

Drinky

James

Knocky

Nugent

Albrighton

Vardy

Bench: Hamer, Moore, Upson, Hammond, King, Mahrez, Wood

Even though we play 8 less games its still a long old season and we'll play loads of different formations and starting 11's. Mahrez would be the first player on my teamsheet if he hadn't had 6 weeks less holiday than everyone else! Having previously said people who include Ulloa etc are deluded, I really think we need more options off the bench and I believe we have to take risks with our entire squad selection, by which I mean eliminating the '2 defenders on the bench' rule. If we're honest we're more likely to be chasing games than holding on to leads, and when we were defending leads last season we didn't throw a defender on we would put Hammond or another midfielder on; therefore I believe it would be worth our while putting 5 forward thinking players, along with a goalie and a defender on the bench. Palace mastered 4-4-2 last season but in Nugent/Wood we haven't got someone who is Premier League standard in terms of holding the ball up, whereas IF we were to purchase someone very good in the air (take nothing away from Nugent) LIKE Ulloa, we could perhaps adapt to such a formation. 

There's no way anyone who we sign will walk into our team first and foremost, and people including Campbell, Wickham and Ulloa in our squads are really deluded if they think they're 'definitely' coming.

Judging by our CURRENT squad and form from the end of last season I would start the following:

Kasper

RDL

Wasyl

Big Wes

Schlupp

Drinky

James

Knocky

Nugent

Albrighton

Vardy

Bench: Hamer, Moore, Upson, Hammond, King, Mahrez, Wood

Even though we play 8 less games its still a long old season and we'll play loads of different formations and starting 11's. Mahrez would be the first player on my teamsheet if he hadn't had 6 weeks less holiday than everyone else! Having previously said people who include Ulloa etc are deluded, I really think we need more options off the bench and I believe we have to take risks with our entire squad selection, by which I mean eliminating the '2 defenders on the bench' rule. If we're honest we're more likely to be chasing games than holding on to leads, and when we were defending leads last season we didn't throw a defender on we would put Hammond or another midfielder on; therefore I believe it would be worth our while putting 5 forward thinking players, along with a goalie and a defender on the bench. Palace mastered 4-4-2 last season but in Nugent/Wood we haven't got someone who is Premier League standard in terms of holding the ball up, whereas IF we were to purchase someone very good in the air (take nothing away from Nugent) LIKE Ulloa, we could perhaps adapt to such a formation.

Yep Nigel spent £7.5 million on a striker who was his number 1 transfer target and people are "deluded" for thinking he's likely to start. Also Albrighton was his number 1 choice to replace Dyer in the squad and has Premiership experience. He's also very likely to start. You appear to be the deluded one here.

Bit of a bold statement to claim Albrighton is better than Knockaert. How many of us actually know that?

I know this doesn't mean I "know" that, but I went to see villa southampton last season and albrighton was a real threat all game and got MotM, which is no mean feat considering the likes of shaw, lallana, lambert and vlaar were all on the pitch.

The only flipside would be why Villa let him go so easily, especially considering how shit they are

Archived