Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Air Algerie AH5017 - Sahara

To be honest, incidents like this happen every month or so, especially in places like Africa and South America where maintenance and safety standards just aren't as up to scratch as Europe and most of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft#2013

Just look at 2012, between April 2nd and June 3rd nearly 400 people died in air accidents. 

I flew back a couple of days after the Ukraine incident from Barcelona, and not long after a plane nearly crashed at the same airport. I'm not a huge fan of flying in general for numerous reasons, but, as harsh as it is, events such as the past weeks, 9/11 and numerous other events only improve security and safety. Not that it should take such atrocious events to do so.

As I work in Malaysia 12 weeks a year, I have to fly to Asia 4 times a year. I purposely avoid some airlines (including Malaysian) even though it takes longer to get there. Vienna to Bangkok with Austrian and Thai down to Kuala Lumpur (meaning I get browse the LCFC merchandise in Bangkok a/p).  European Airlines statistically have better safety records than say Asian and African Carriers.  I would point out though, that before MH370 and MH017 went down, MAS has an exemplary safety record. Personally I just feel safer with a British/German/Austrian/Japanese crew in the cock-pit.

But as for flying, there will be always be accidents and I guess we all assume it will not happen to us.

Plane got bit by lightening earlier this year on my way to Berlin, loud bang and blue flash on one of the engines. Had no idea it was lightening hitting the wing just thought the engine had blown up. A moment of pure terror. A log of crap trickled into my boot. Thought we were going down. I of course did go down, but only to scoop the turd out of my shoes before the pong kicked up

Guest MattP

As I work in Malaysia 12 weeks a year, I have to fly to Asia 4 times a year. I purposely avoid some airlines (including Malaysian) even though it takes longer to get there. Vienna to Bangkok with Austrian and Thai down to Kuala Lumpur (meaning I get browse the LCFC merchandise in Bangkok a/p).  European Airlines statistically have better safety records than say Asian and African Carriers.  I would point out though, that before MH370 and MH017 went down, MAS has an exemplary safety record. Personally I just feel safer with a British/German/Austrian/Japanese crew in the cock-pit.

But as for flying, there will be always be accidents and I guess we all assume it will not happen to us.

I often find the Asian airlines the best for first class travel, Emirates and Malaysia have a brilliant service and incredible value for money compared to Virgin/BMI etc.

It's the same as anything in life whether it driving, boxing, flying, playing cricket, bunging jumping, skiiing whatever, people die doing all these activities in rare occurances, you just have to enjoy it and assume it won't happen to you. Otherwise we'll all just be lemmings. Anyone who wouldn't fly because of these incidents has a life not worth living anyway.

Plane got bit by lightening earlier this year on my way to Berlin, loud bang and blue flash on one of the engines. Had no idea it was lightening hitting the wing just thought the engine had blown up. A moment of pure terror. A log of crap trickled into my boot. Thought we were going down. I of course did go down, but only to scoop the turd out of my shoes before the pong kicked up

Last time I went to America, we hit horrible turbulence on the return journey.

Literally thought we was all going to die. Looked across to cabin crew for reassurance, and even they were strapped into chairs with a worried look across their faces. That just made things worse! Didn't help they'd only just served dinner, so I had a can of Coke down my leg and cheese from my meal went straight across the legs of a guy sitting to my right. 

I often find the Asian airlines the best for first class travel, Emirates and Malaysia have a brilliant service and incredible value for money compared to Virgin/BMI etc.

It's the same as anything in life whether it driving, boxing, flying, playing cricket, bunging jumping, skiiing whatever, people die doing all these activities in rare occurances, you just have to enjoy it and assume it won't happen to you. Otherwise we'll all just be lemmings. Anyone who wouldn't fly because of these incidents has a life not worth living anyway.

lol lol lol:nigel:

I don't like flying, suppose I'd better hang myself.

Personally I'd rather have a few moments of blinding terror and smash into a mountain at 500 mph, than suffer and linger for months with a horrible disease.

Go out with a bang, so to speak

Guest MattP

lol lol lol:nigel:

I don't like flying, suppose I'd better hang myself.

Come on Gups you know the point the point I'm making without taking hyperbole seriously. :knockyhat:

I'm getting more nervous with age. I also disagree with people saying it's the safest form of transport. On Wiki I see 117 deaths per billion journeys by plane versus 4 deaths per billion for buses, 20 deaths by rail and 40 deaths by car. Obviously it remains incredibly safe but certainly not the safest.

Regardless of the stats as well there's something fundamentally disconcerting when you're 10km above the ground in a very small tube going at >500mph. Thankfully there's such a thing as Valium.

40 deaths per billion by car? May be correct but seems extraordinarily low, especially with the amount of car crashes compared to aeroplane failures. 

Guest MattP

40 deaths by billion for car? May be correct but seems extraordinarily low, especially with the amount of car crashes compared to aeroplane failures. 

Wouldn't surprise me when you think of the amount of cars on the road.

Think that means 'car journeys' as well, so nipping to the off licence for 50 yards counts as one.

I'd much rather fly with Asian / ME airlines than European or US carriers. Flown with Thai, Singapore, Malaysian & Japan Airlines long haul and all were superb. Have to feel sorry for Malaysian, having some sh!t luck at the moment. I flew with BMI to Dublin about 15 years ago and the cabin pressure failed over the Irish sea. Cabin filled with smoke and everyones ears popped. We just dropped to about 10,000 feet and continued to Dublin. Definitely a touching cloth moment.

This Air Algerie flight was using an old aircraft, an MD83, in bad weather. Its apparently crashed in Mali (in an al-Qaeda controlled area for all you conspiracy theorists). Almost half of the passengers are French nationals. RIP

This is doing my fear of flying no good whatsoever.

Ditto. 

This shit shouldn't be happening with this regularity - aviation engineering is too good.

Flying has always been the safest mode of transportation.

Obviously, when something goes wrong it makes the headlines big time.

I would hazard a guess that it remains the safest form of travel by miles.

Air miles.

Badum.

Guest MattP

Flying has always been the safest mode of transportation.

Obviously, when something goes wrong it makes the headlines big time.

I would hazard a guess that it remains the safest form of travel by miles.

Air miles.

Badum.

That's what he means though, if it's being judged my miles it is the safest but it also means they are comparing it in terms of safety as 'one flight to Australia = 1,500 journeys in your car'.

Which doesn't generally means it's actuallty safer in terms of lives lost to journey.

Archived