Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ivarti

Matt Upson ?

yes his fitness was awful last season only managing to play 47 games in total and was Brighton's player of the season.

What was Pearson thinking.

if only he had 'anothershitseason's' crystal ball to know he would be out injured for so long....

Sigh...

35. Playing one full season was a triumph for him given his injury record. It's a RISK expecting another season from him at this age.

1. As good, if not a better header of the ball

2. Doubt he will be any slower, neither are very quick to be fair.

3. Better distribution

4. Experience of the Prem

Those above points dont mean to say he's class but i dont see how he'd be any worse

Any worse?

You say it like Wasyl is a rubbish defender. He was our best player on saturday.

For what you are comparing him to. I would say Wasyl has better distribution than both Morgan and Moore. Better in the air than Moore and has equivalent experience to Upson by playing at the top flight in europe and in top european competitions.

Any worse?

You say it like Wasyl is a rubbish defender. He was our best player on saturday.

For what you are comparing him to. I would say Wasyl has better distribution than both Morgan and Moore. Better in the air than Moore and has equivalent experience to Upson by playing at the top flight in europe and in top european competitions.

I agree, i thought Wasyl was MOTM Saturday but all im saying is i dont believe Upson is worse than him, they have similar attributes and he has a wealth of Prem experience to go with it

Hang on, does this mean this 35 year old, injury prone, passed his best player cannot save us?

I pray he can because Mr Pearson could look quite the fool browsing the bargain bins when he could have spent some of those hard earned millions on a better defender.

I know we cant expect to pick up grade A meat but if Upson was a better option than anyone else.....................

So 3 of your 4 points are just guessing.

I'd debate the fourth point too, I mean his recent premier league experience is being turned inside out and ran ragged.

People will say ask Brighton fans? I'd say ask stoke and most notably west ham fans what they thought of his premier league experience when he played for them.

We have short memories. Wasyl had most of his bad games for us at right back, and my god he isn't a right back. He has his limitations, but he is very steady and honest.

I'd debate the fourth point too, I mean his recent premier league experience is being turned inside out and ran ragged.

People will say ask Brighton fans? I'd say ask stoke and most notably west ham fans what they thought of his premier league experience when he played for them.

We have short memories.

Why dont you just shoot him down before he's kicked a ball for us?

Why dont you just shoot him down before he's kicked a ball for us?

I was more picking you up for saying he cannot be worse than wasilewski, which I found to be somewhat harsh. Our best player in his first premier league start, instrumental in our promotion and had a wealth of European and international experience.

I'm unsure what Matthew Upson has done that deserves somebody to say he 'cannot be any worse' because like I said before, just ask west ham.

I was more picking you up for saying he cannot be worse than wasilewski, which I found to be somewhat harsh. Our best player in his first premier league start, instrumental in our promotion and had a wealth of European and international experience.

I'm unsure what Matthew Upson has done that deserves somebody to say he 'cannot be any worse' because like I said before, just ask west ham.

Wasyl did well yes, and yes he was good Saturday but he's had a few dodgy games too.

Upson has a similar level of experience and he too played very well last year in the Championship so my point was that i feel he could do a very good job for us based on Wasyl's performance

Babs is usually the voice of reason. Not this time. For me, the signings of Upson and Albrighton look bizarre. Albrighton has always been injury prone and looks miles off the pace. Upson, I doubt we'll ever see him in a City shirt.

We could have got better than these pair surely for fooks sake!

I'm worried about him and Wes together, two cb's with similar pace (not the quickest), similar size and two players who have never played together before. I would have liked to have seen us buy another CB this summer or let alone get one on-loan. A young CB with pace who could match some of the BPL strikers in a foot-race at least, something I highly doubt MU can do.

Joking aside, lets give this guy a chance, maybe a bit of Prem 'know how' is what we need in defence right now

Talking of prem 'know how', he hasn't played in the premier league since December 2012 and in his two years with Stoke he managed 15 appearances. I don't think we should be calling him out as a premier league guru...

Talking of prem 'know how', he hasn't played in the premier league since December 2012 and in his two years with Stoke he managed 15 appearances. I don't think we should be calling him out as a premier league guru...

He's played nearly 300 games in the prem. Probably 3-4 times more than the rest of our team put together

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Upson is set to play in Leicester's Under 21s match against Benfica on Monday as he steps up his recovery from a serious ankle injury.

The former England centre-back has been out since undergoing surgery in August but he has returned to training and is in line to make his return to action in the Premier League international Cup.

Upson, 35, has yet to feature for Leicester in the Premier League following his free transfer from Brighton and his return to the field is a huge boost to Nigel Pearson following a run of four successive defeats.

Pearson said: 'Matthew has been training very well and he will play some part in a game next week.’

Fellow defender Liam Moore, who missed both England Under-21 matches during the international break, is fit to face Sunderland on Saturday.

He was struck down by illness but has recovered after taking a course of medication.

‘It was an infection which, without going into details, needed medication,’ said Pearson. ‘He trained intermittently and is much better now.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2842771/Matthew-Upson-set-play-Leicester-U21s-former-England-centre-steps-recovery-knee-injury.html#ixzz3Jd28UBbB 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Archived