Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ivarti

Matt Upson ?

Yet again you bring Drinkwater up, and I've admitted I was wrong many times.

But like with Drinkwater at the time people called him shit, Upson at this moment in time is a signing not many fans expected or wanted, and that fact he is injured already just takes the biscuit. 

But all this coming from a guy who wants a new player in about every position, goes to show how much faith you have in the team.

Drinkwater was brought up to show that what fans come out with isn't always what the truth is.

I have faith in the team, just not out ability to handle injuries and suspensions.

I've got loads of quotes from you and others saying Drinkwater is rubbish and we should get rid. Just because they think that, doesn't mean that's what's true or that's what will happen for us.

We don't know how Pearson saw him fitting in, it could be as a bit part player to help out if we are under the cosh at the end of a game and not much more.

He is 36 years old and got torn to shreds when he was last in the premier league, and was younger then. No matter how Nigel is able to see him fitting in, there had to be better options, surely.

I'm not sure how you can ignore what the west ham fans had to say? They watched him play week in week out.

My money is on him returning to fitness and playing a pretty big part in our season

Brighton fans love him, and my Stoke supporting friend who's opinion I respect said he was excellent for them.

I'd imagine Nigel knows a good centre half when he sees one. Let's give the lad a chance FFS

Guest LCFC_World

Why does no one understand that he was bought in for experience. He will most likely be like K.Phillips.  

He can still be a great player for us. We brought in one of the best CBs in the Championship. If he's not good enough then neither is Moore, Morgan and Wasilewski.

The fact that he's injured is just bad luck. It happens. He was fit for the whole of last season.

Gonna have to side with kingfox here. Upson was playing in the championship mainly due to the fact he isn't really cut out for the premiership anymore. The champ has significantly less quality and the pace of the game isn't as quick therefore being an ex international of formerly very good quality he was one of the best cbs in the league. Was exactly the same with Elliott when we went down under Bassett, increasingly poor in the prem but rock solid in the league below. That didn't help the following season and I suspect it won't help with Upson.

Agreed. Well worth his 30k a week.

Ridiculous post, we obviously won't be paying him £30k a week.

In hindsight it looks a strange signing as he's got injured pretty much immediately, but it's clear that he was brought in as he provides a wealth of PL experience, is cheap and added some depth in a position where we are short. Plenty of other CBs, such as Alex Bruce, Delaney and Gabbidon, would be deemed not good enough for the Premier League and yet they've all had successful seasons in organised teams.

It's just unfortunate for both us and Upson that he's picked up this injury, particularly considering he's not injury prone. If he had a history of injuries then you can point the finger at the management for the signing, but that's not the case.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed that defender Matthew Upson could be available for first team selection before Christmas.

Upson has not featured for the Foxes since his summer move from Brighton & Hove Albion, having required surgery on a foot injury. 

But the experienced former England international has progressed well with his rehabilitation and could be set to bolster City’s defensive options before the busy festive period. 

Pearson hopes that Upson, 35, will be ready to start building match fitness, possibly with the Club’s Development Squad, in a matter of weeks. 

“He is doing very well, very well and hopefully he will play some part in a competitive game in the next month,” Pearson said. 

“That means he may be in contention for the first team before Christmas, which would be fantastic for us. 

“He has a wealth of experience and know-how. I am looking forward to having him available.” 

Upson’s experience will be of enormous value to the City squad during the second half in the season. Capped 22 times by England, the former Arsenal and West Ham United defender has made nearly 450 career appearances – 284 of them in the Premier League. 

He was Brighton’s Player of the Year last season during his second campaign with the Seagulls, whom he helped to consecutive top-six finishes in the Championship prior to his switch to King Power Stadium.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/051114-pearson-upbeat-about-upson-return-2064042.aspx#ffA9iOM33jo8xh5x.99

Archived