Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ivarti

Matt Upson ?

Why the hell did we sign him in the first place, there was a reason he dropped down a league. 3 bloody months, terrific start Matthew  :appl:

Why? Because he was the best defender in one of the best defences in the championship, playing virtually every game.

There was a reason Alex Bruce hadn't been playing in the prem, but he did and they stayed up.

Good point. He never looked like a Prem defender but, fair play, he did a decent job last season.

While we are naming defenders like that I'd like to put forward Damien Delaney and Danny Gabbidon. No one would have given them a hope at the start of last season!

Why the hell did we sign him in the first place, there was a reason he dropped down a league. 3 bloody months, terrific start Matthew :appl:

Definitely need a new CB now, loan maybe someone like Ake?

Would be ideal, great cover for CB and LB. I can see Miquel coming back.

Why? Because he was the best defender in one of the best defences in the championship, playing virtually every game.

There was a reason Alex Bruce hadn't been playing in the prem, but he did and they stayed up.

Yes but that's the Championship, I seriously don't get why people instantly think that our players will do well in the Prem, some will do better than others, some of our main players from the Championship could well struggle.

Upson made a step down, yes performed well for Brighton, but what did he do with Stoke in the Premier League, very very little & looked out of his depth.

Would be ideal

I'm not so sure it would be. There was an interesting article on Sky with our scout about how you go about scouting defenders and how we put together a defence to get out of the league. They looked in depth into the make up of defences that got out of the division, and tried to replicate that here.

I would imagine, there has been a very similar thought process into building a team for the premier league. If we went for Upson, an older player with premier league experience. I would imagine we did so for a well thought out reason, a reason that probably doesn't match up with getting a very raw inexperienced player.

I'm not so sure it would be. There was an interesting article on Sky with our scout about how you go about scouting defenders and how we put together a defence to get out of the league. They looked in depth into the make up of defences that got out of the division, and tried to replicate that here.

I would imagine, there has been a very similar thought process into building a team for the premier league. If we went for Upson, an older player with premier league experience. I would imagine we did so for a well thought out reason, a reason that probably doesn't match up with getting a very raw inexperienced player.

Possibly but with only 2 weeks to go until the window closes we might not have the luxury of getting in a defender that fits that profile. I watched Ake twice last season for their U21 team, once against us and I was astonished at how easy he found the game. I'm not surprised Mourinho is reluctant to loan him out just yet.

Yes but that's the Championship

So? As I already stated, players who you might not think are good enough like Bruce, like Delaney as someone else pointed out can do a job and have done. Writing people off is as moronic as what you then go on to say in your next paragraph.

I seriously don't get why people instantly think that our players will do well in the Prem, some will do better than others, some of our main players from the Championship could well struggle.

And that has sod all to do with anything I wrote.

But what did he do with Stoke in the Premier League, very very little & looked out of his depth.

Watch a lot of Stoke then?

So? As I already stated, players who you might not think are good enough like Bruce, like Delaney as someone else pointed out can do a job and have done. Writing people off is as moronic as what you then go on to say in your next paragraph.

And that has sod all to do with anything I wrote.

Watch a lot of Stoke then?

So?

Bruce & Delaney weren't playing in the Prem at the time Upson was, they made a step up, Upson made a step down because he wasn't good for Stoke.

And here we go again, "watch a lot of Stoke then" when they are televised then yes.

Just ask the Stoke fans their opinions on him.

So?

Bruce & Delaney weren't playing in the Prem at the time Upson was, they made a step up, Upson made a step down because he wasn't good for Stoke.

And here we go again, "watch a lot of Stoke then" when they are televised then yes.

Just ask the Stoke fans their opinions on him.

You're right they weren't playing in the prem then because every time Delaney got promoted with a club (Hull & QPR) he got flogged off instantly due to them not thinking he was good enough. And Alex Bruce wasn't because he's utter wank in the Championship. Hence proving my point that players who do well in the champ (or not in Bruce's case), are capable of doing ok in the prem under the right circumstances. Delaney is hardly an up and comer himself at 33!!

Oh I wonder why comfortably mid-table Stoke decided they could do better. Probably weren't moaning at the clean sheets against Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Fulham, Swansea. Not bad for a team with an absolute piece of shit at centre back eh.

Get him to shag Schlupp whilst he off since we're paying him 20k a week. In 18 years time we'll have 'SchlUPSON'. Fast, powerful and strong in the air. And mixed race. That is my favorite. That's the melting pot, perleaaaase

Hahaha. Yea this.

You're right they weren't playing in the prem then because every time Delaney got promoted with a club (Hull & QPR) he got flogged off instantly due to them not thinking he was good enough. And Alex Bruce wasn't because he's utter wank in the Championship. Hence proving my point that players who do well in the champ (or not in Bruce's case), are capable of doing ok in the prem under the right circumstances. Delaney is hardly an up and comer himself at 33!!

Oh I wonder why comfortably mid-table Stoke decided they could do better. Probably weren't moaning at the clean sheets against Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Fulham, Swansea. Not bad for a team with an absolute piece of shit at centre back eh.

Weren't Stoke playing Huth & Shawcross in those games?

If not then what about the time he was part of a defence, which conceded 5 against Bolton. 

Upson didn't play a whole lot of games for Stoke, most of the time he was on the bench, we have him for experience mostly but still already injured is an excellent start.

Upson had to drop down a division for a reason, and despite being good enough for the Championship, doesn't necessarily mean he will be good enough for the Premier League again. 

Archived