Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Caribean Carnival

Fyi

"Organisers of Leicester's Caribbean Carnival will charge an entry fee this year after council funding was cut.

It will be the first time in the festival's 28-year history that people must pay to attend."

I went to my first carnival in the late 70's, and I'm pretty sure it had been running some years before that.

It wouldn't be the first time the LM has got it wrong.

No offence taken.

The comment made was over the top and suggested murder, rape and curry goat poisoning happened regularly. In my opinion, it was casual racism on the part of the poster.

Your comment is much more measured. Isolated incidents, that can and have happened at any large gathering of people. I agree with your post.

Fyi

"Organisers of Leicester's Caribbean Carnival will charge an entry fee this year after council funding was cut.

It will be the first time in the festival's 28-year history that people must pay to attend."

Casual racism? Shut up you idiot! Did I mention any particular race? Those things have happened (apart from the tongue in cheek comment about the poisoning) following people getting pissed/high at Viccy Park.  Not sure where I suggested murder either.

Wind ya neck in!

Yes, posts were deleted because they quoted Moose's racist comment that had received complaints. 

If you don't want your post/s to be deleted then don't quote something that's a dead-cert for being binned.

Casual racism? Shut up you idiot! Did I mention any particular race? Those things have happened (apart from the tongue in cheek comment about the poisoning) following people getting pissed/high at Viccy Park. Not sure where I suggested murder either.Wind ya neck in!

I'm not sure who you are, you have been on FT for a while and we've not interacted before. Perhaps you didn't intend your post to be racist. I'll assume you didn't intend it to be. Your post unfortunately reinforces false stereotypes about the violence and criminality of black people in the UK. And I said, suggested murder, rape etc happened frequently at the event.

However, clearly I forgot, most Caribbean festivals are attended mostly by white people and stabbing and shooting is just like tickling someone. Oh and Ebola is ravaging Scandinavia, not West Africa where much of the Caribbean population comes from.

Quote: Always try avoid it like the plague or Ebola. Always ends up someone getting stabbed/raped/shot/death by Goat curry food poisoning.

Actually surprised it's still going, don't think it'll last too much longer.

Yes, posts were deleted because they quoted Moose's racist comment that had received complaints.

If you don't want your post/s to be deleted then don't quote something that's a dead-cert for being binned.

How about you do your job properly and ban him?

How about you do your job properly and ban him?

How about you wind your neck in rather than telling me how I should do my 'job' (which is, as you seem to need reminding, voluntary)? Perhaps, while you're at it, you can explain how you know that he has/hasn't been banned? 

Casual racism? Shut up you idiot! Did I mention any particular race? Those things have happened (apart from the tongue in cheek comment about the poisoning) following people getting pissed/high at Viccy Park.  Not sure where I suggested murder either.

Wind ya neck in!

How can you say wind your neck in while going on a keyboard-warrior tirade like this?

I am still trying to explain to my wife what it means. Anyone know the origin of wind your neck in? Google hasn't been particularly helpful.

I always assumed that it was something to do with sticking your neck/chin out for it to be punched, so to wind it in was to protect yourself from being chinned.........

I'm not sure who you are, you have been on FT for a while and we've not interacted before. Perhaps you didn't intend your post to be racist. I'll assume you didn't intend it to be. Your post unfortunately reinforces false stereotypes about the violence and criminality of black people in the UK. And I said, suggested murder, rape etc happened frequently at the event.

However, clearly I forgot, most Caribbean festivals are attended mostly by white people and stabbing and shooting is just like tickling someone. Oh and Ebola is ravaging Scandinavia, not West Africa where much of the Caribbean population comes from.

Quote: Always try avoid it like the plague or Ebola. Always ends up someone getting stabbed/raped/shot/death by Goat curry food poisoning.

Actually surprised it's still going, don't think it'll last too much longer.

I pretty much go under the radar as I don't usually tend to get involved in arguments or silly squabbling on here.

I'm not to sure where I mentioned or stereotyped black people. As you said, the Caribbean Carnival is mostly attended by white people (you do realise white people commit those sorts of crimes too?)

I realise the Ebola outbreak is not just in West Africa and again I made no reference to Africa - in fact I believe someone recently was tested for it at the Commonwealth Games.

I made a reference to the Plague too which was an outbreak in Europe. Where am I sterotyping black people here?

I pretty much go under the radar as I don't usually tend to get involved in arguments or silly squabbling on here.

I'm not to sure where I mentioned or stereotyped black people. As you said, the Caribbean Carnival is mostly attended by white people (you do realise white people commit those sorts of crimes too?)

I realise the Ebola outbreak is not just in West Africa and again I made no reference to Africa - in fact I believe someone recently was tested for it at the Commonwealth Games.

I made a reference to the Plague too which was an outbreak in Europe. Where am I sterotyping black people here?

Best you stay under the radar!

How about you wind your neck in rather than telling me how I should do my 'job' (which is, as you seem to need reminding, voluntary)? Perhaps, while you're at it, you can explain how you know that he has/hasn't been banned?

His latest diatribe is just one of a daily dose of offensive bile, all of which seem to pass unpunished.

You are allowing him to use the forum like the keyboard warrior that he is, sitting securely behind his monitor saying all the things he's too scared to say in person.

Merely deleting his posts is completely ineffective because you can't do it quickly enough to prevent offense.

And, I'm sorry, but the fact that you volunteer to be a mod doesn't excuse you from criticism.

Maybe you're right. I'll leave you to try and fit in with the cool kids. :thumbup:

Fortunately for me, I'm doing pretty alright without fitting in.

Look, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I did try to explain how and why your post could be viewed as racist. You don't believe it was, that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

His latest diatribe is just one of a daily dose of offensive bile, all of which seem to pass unpunished.

You are allowing him to use the forum like the keyboard warrior that he is, sitting securely behind his monitor saying all the things he's too scared to say in person.

Merely deleting his posts is completely ineffective because you can't do it quickly enough to prevent offense.

And, I'm sorry, but the fact that you volunteer to be a mod doesn't excuse you from criticism.

I'm not disagreeing with much of what you say and I'm not saying I want to be excused from criticism... providing it's constructive.

You do say, though, 'all of which SEEM to pass unpunished' and I think that can be the problem at times... most posters have no idea how many posts have been removed, how many times an individual has been banned or had their posting restricted... much goes on behind the scenes that you're not aware of. I agree we can't always get to delete posts quickly enough - we simply can't moderate the forum 24/7 which is why the report feature is so useful as it can be used to flag up offensive posts to all the moderating team. 

I am still trying to explain to my wife what it means. Anyone know the origin of wind your neck in? Google hasn't been particularly helpful.

My dictionary of phrases doesn't give an etymology for it, but I would guess that it's an antonym of 'sticking your neck out', (becoming involved in something that doesn't concern you).

I'm not disagreeing with much of what you say and I'm not saying I want to be excused from criticism... providing it's constructive.

You do say, though, 'all of which SEEM to pass unpunished' and I think that can be the problem at times... most posters have no idea how many posts have been removed, how many times an individual has been banned or had their posting restricted... much goes on behind the scenes that you're not aware of. I agree we can't always get to delete posts quickly enough - we simply can't moderate the forum 24/7 which is why the report feature is so useful as it can be used to flag up offensive posts to all the moderating team.

Fair comment.

I tend to use it when I feel someone's being needlessly 'in my face'. It's probably not the right phrases/context at all, though. lol

Archived