Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

First Job

Kitchen porter. Posh pot washer. ;)

Does that just mean plate machine as well as pot wash, or elevated duties like carrying frozen carcasses into the freezer room, shelling eggs and chopping veg...

I had an exotic career in the KP/Plate machine sector: Hurlingham Club, Putney (super-posh - a peacock walked into the kitchen one day) & Herald of Free Enterprise (the ferry that subsequently sank at Zeebrugge)

Post paper round I was scrubbing dem pots and pans, getting shouted at a lot by the chef for a couple of nights per week and on Sundays. Shit was tough, I was 100% flat out with these big ass pans full of dried custard, gravy or whatever and I literally couldn't keep up half the time. Every job I've had since has been hilariously easy in comparison.

Post paper round I was scrubbing dem pots and pans, getting shouted at a lot by the chef for a couple of nights per week and on Sundays. Shit was tough, I was 100% flat out with these big ass pans full of dried custard, gravy or whatever and I literally couldn't keep up half the time. Every job I've had since has been hilariously easy in comparison.

I remember those pots and pans - big bronze ones so heavy that I could only just lift them onto a high shelf....and how the hell did the custard/gravy get burned on that thick?!

Hard, sweaty, physical work but I didn't mind it - your mind was your own so long as you kept up. I'd take that any day over assembly line work. I remember spending just a few hours putting wine bottles on a conveyor belt and hated it - struggled to keep up, the bottles kept falling over and you had to stick to an even pace, couldn't vary it.

Are you telling me Lamby got more on his CV than you?

A picture of your cock isn't usually something to put on your CV.

So, the question of who got the bigger cock between Wookie and Lamby is now settled.

:nigel:

Well he is 7 years older than me

I was just jesting. Relax.  :thumbup:

Alf: veg, puddings, the occasional starter, pots, cleaning, fetching and carrying and most fun of all... burning mystery documents on the boxes bonfire round the back.

Lav: disagree massively. Get a part time job as soon as you can, you never want to be the kid with no money when your mates are going out, buying consoles and going on holiday (unless mummy and daddy are loaded.)

Paper round I guess, at the age of 10, even though you were supposed to be 13. I started with one round and then ended up doing one in the morning, an evening and a weekend round. I earned loads on Christmas tips.

First permanent full-time job was in Tanzania running a microfinance program.

Archived