Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Asha

Poker

More details about the poker night at the Kings Head (New Walk - King Street) Firstly some may think the amount to play is too small. One of the reasons that it is not high stakes is  that the intention was just intended to be a friendly get together over a  pint or two and get more customers that will buy ale and not sit with coke all night. If the stakes are too high it will attract sharks.

Another thing they are hoping to form a team for one of the poker leagues. Also is there not a limit to the stakes in pubs?

Details are just provisional.

[email protected] or [email protected] (not sure if 2 or z)

Facebook Paul Hughes (there may be info there) There are about 5 or 6 with the name. https://www.facebook.com/paul.hayes.1610

Website  www.mushroom.onmypc.info

It starts Monday 3rd November with two games starting at 5pm and 7.30pm. £2 entry plus 50p to the charity Wishes for Kids (a local charity that a customer works for and the pub backs)

First time I used the website its down for maintenance. I check his Facebook page.

I may be going in tomorrow for the game and the following Saturday after the game.. Have stuff to do at home up to Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I play occasionally down Gala (Grosvenor) - usually Fridays. Prefer the freezeout system, none of those shitty constant re-buys and add-ons where people who are willing to chuck money about just play aggressively and bully the field.

As somebody mentioned above, Dusk Til Dawn in Notts in good craic, much bigger tournaments, bigger prizepot and calmer poker.

Don't tend to play online too much, can become boring and a lot more dangerous in terms of losing money!

Grosvenor in Leincester is shocking for the serious tourney player. Awful structures, players, and prize money. Dusk till Dawn however is arguably the UK's best card room outside of London with a good variety of tournaments. The grosvenor at the Ricoh arena is fairly good, and they do a £50 multi-day tourney 5-6 times a year called the 'Titan'. Alea Nottingham is also great- particularly their £1,000 added every Tuesday.

Cash games at Leicester are as good as anywhere else, but I'm not a regular cash player so can't really give a genuine insight into them. Never played in a pub league so can't say much about them. I have also heard they can be clicky though.

The one at O'Neills was a bit clicky. The thing with pub games there is a limit to what can be played for. £5 in total I think. The landlord could put their license at risk if caught. The Kings Head one is more for fun and get people in the pub who will buy the beer. I will be there for the early one and may stop later for the second one.

If I play online its only the sit and go's low stake. Not good enough or play enough to make a huge profit. Keep meaning to play more though..

Good night at the Kings Head pub Poker do. One fox Talker turned up. Only four of us but hoping there will be more other weeks. Times will be changing  slightly. First session from 6pm. Second session from 8pm. More details about blind  and payout structure will be on the website at a later date. when it is updated.

Feel sick after bubbling in an online satellite last night to a 200 quid tournament in Liverpool in a couple of weeks.

Always a shitty feeling to bubble, especially when the prize is that.

I've actually heard arguments where you should fold AA preflop when it's bubble time for a satellite tournament like that.

Always a shitty feeling to bubble, especially when the prize is that.

I've actually heard arguments where you should fold AA preflop when it's bubble time for a satellite tournament like that.

It's the way it happened that made it even sicker.

I was short stack with only 12 BB and on the Big Blind, next short stack on small blind min raises and I have AQ suited. 6 handed I've got to think I'm ahead and he's trying to make me fold so he can steal the antes and blinds which would make me even more of the short stack. So I go all in and he snaps with AK.

Flops a king and I'm dead.

Oh well, up to Blackpool on Sunday for the GUKPT satellite to try and win my share of the 100k guarantee Main Event!

I was short stack with only 12 BB and on the Big Blind, next short stack on small blind min raises and I have AQ suited. 6 handed I've got to think I'm ahead and he's trying to make me fold so he can steal the antes and blinds which would make me even more of the short stack. So I go all in and he snaps with AK.

Oh well, up to Blackpool on Sunday for the GUKPT satellite to try and win my share of the 100k guarantee Main Event!

Yeah, that's a shite situation - you think you've at least got a 50/50 there to double up, cripple him and practically qualify. Just your shocking luck that he had you dominated. Think most players would go for it there. 

Best of luck in Blackpool!

Unlucky, the min raise from the SB is a move most players would make with any hand, not just one of the 4 that has you dominated.

As was said on the last page, you can fold AA pre flop in certain situations, but personally I would only consider this if I was close to the bubble of a satelitte with a big stack, and in a hand with one of the few even bigger stacks. Some would also do in other situations where they want to get as high up the money ladder as they can, without being too interested in giving themselves the best chance to win the comp outright.

Unlucky, the min raise from the SB is a move most players would make with any hand, not just one of the 4 that has you dominated.

As was said on the last page, you can fold AA pre flop in certain situations, but personally I would only consider this if I was close to the bubble of a satelitte with a big stack, and in a hand with one of the few even bigger stacks. Some would also do in other situations where they want to get as high up the money ladder as they can, without being too interested in giving themselves the best chance to win the comp outright.

When there was about 15 runners left I was bang on average and folded jacks from under the gun. They lad I was playing with couldn't believe it. Kinda wish I'd played them now, things might have been different!

Chip leader on the bubble for a satellite and I'm not playing any hands!

When there was about 15 runners left I was bang on average and folded jacks from under the gun. They lad I was playing with couldn't believe it. Kinda wish I'd played them now, things might have been different!

Chip leader on the bubble for a satellite and I'm not playing any hands!

Most people agree Jacks are very difficult to play/get max value from- particularly after the flop. I personally like Jacks but not you mustn't be afraid to fold them pre flop, especially if there are 2 players making aggressive play behind you. It may have been a tight fold, but forcing yourself to play a hand you don't want to get involved in will always cause much more harm than good, so it was ultimately the right move.

Personally I hate folding pocket pairs pre flop, especially big ones, but sometimes you just have to. I've had to pass JJ and QQ in the last week, and both times the other player had Kings  ;) Didn't do me much good in the end though  lol

Archived