Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Howard99

Ulloa

If Ulloa doesn't get the service he needs, then just how can he possibly play well?

So what we do is continue to play him and blame the midfield for not giving him a goal, rather than reverting back to how we played last year and seeing how that works?

Guest bss9401

At Swansea I saw some big, slow and lazy looking bloke who ended up showing our team how a centre forward should play and should be used. He also ended up scoring two goals!

I believe that Ulloa has the quality and attributes to be a decent premier league centre forward.

If ever the diamond could be played, it is now, West Brom have absolutely no pace out wide, if we ever played 4-4-2 diamonds with 4 cm's it is now, although having said that for me I'd have Mahrez and Albrighton out wide, with Powell and Ulloa, not because Vardy has been bad, but I think we changed our system to fit him and Ulloa in a team, and if we bring him on vs old tired defenders, he will murder them.

Perhaps someone can explain something that does not compute to me,

posters keep saying ulloa needs better service, on the deck etc ,

how can you suppl;y someone with the ball when they have not got the nous or speed

to lose a marker, he cannot find spaces, yes he is dangerous in the box where he can use his

heading ability, but if you are trying to play high tempo football he is not equipped to do so.

Must be so easy heading a ball with your marker up your arse.

Funny he seems to have the nous to get away from the defenders for the Man U and Arsenal goals.

Also running a long way to get in the position to score.

Schlupp supplying the Arsenal one and Vardy the Man U one both fast but he manages to get there.

If Ulloa doesn't get the service he needs, then just how can he possibly play well?

100% this.

We either need to play as if we have an out an out no. 9, or not. If not, why are we picking an out and out no. 9?

We have had this before with Wood and it messed us up for half a season. Ulloa isn't going to give us a Vardy/Nugent performance. He will be great if we play to his strengths. But what can he do if we only pass to him a mile away from goal?

We haven't looked like playing football for 2 games and 30 minutes, so it's a bit moot. But for my money, it's easier for our players to play to Vardy's strengths than Ulloa's, so we should start with him and if we can get back to early season form maybe we can bring Ulloa's obvious talent to bear.

Must be so easy heading a ball with your marker up your arse.

Funny he seems to have the nous to get away from the defenders for the Man U and Arsenal goals.

Also running a long way to get in the position to score.

Schlupp supplying the Arsenal one and Vardy the Man U one both fast but he manages to get there.

I like the way you pick the only two examples, and ignore all the other matches, as i said he is a good header

of a football, and tries hard but i still maintain he is slow and not very mobile, the team is struggling

and lost tempo and i think he is part of the problem, i want this team to play to their potential, if he proves

me wrong good luck to him.

i will be the first person to hold my hand up and say i got it wrong but i can't see it somehow.

It's very worrying and just adds strength to the argument we're trying too hard to play through him.

Compare it to this against Arsenal; http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755326/player-stats/54316/1_PASS_07#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Or this against Man Utd; http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755346/player-stats/54316/1_PASS_07#tabs-wrapper-anchor

No-one is telling me we haven't tried changing our style of play.

I also wonder if he has changed his too and it's becoming a bit of a vicious cycle. He doesn't get the ball and wants to be involved so drops deeper and deeper. It's not like he is coming deep, we play to feet and he's holding it and people are running off off him onto the ball.

The whole team is dropping deeper and then Kasper hoofs it more and more.

I'd really be tempted to start him on the bench for the next game, just to get into more of a rythmn of the team as a whole. It really is a Chris Wood situation. Shame really after the flyer we got off to this season.

I still think 433 would work with Vards and Nuge a bit wider of Leo. Thing is they both prefer playing on the left and cutting in. I'd play Nuge left as he has more talent at both drifting in and shooting or playing 1-2s. Vards on right but get them to float more and overlap. One always wide and one in the middle.

Ulloa worked hard at Swansea, for me. Right now, he probably represents our best goal threat. Vardy alongside him has to be the way forward over the course of a season. There's no reason why Vardy can't play the role Nugent did last year - slightly deeper. His work rate is comparable

to Nugent. Arguably better. We need to win 9 more games. Time to be positive, for me. Impose our best game / formation / style / tactics on the opposition. If it turns our we're not good enough, so be it. But let's have a real go and find out for sure, rather than be left wondering.

Ulloa worked hard at Swansea, for me. Right now, he probably represents our best goal threat. Vardy alongside him has to be the way forward over the course of a season. There's no reason why Vardy can't play the role Nugent did last year - slightly deeper. His work rate is comparable

to Nugent. Arguably better. We need to win 9 more games. Time to be positive, for me. Impose our best game / formation / style / tactics on the opposition. If it turns our we're not good enough, so be it. But let's have a real go and find out for sure, rather than be left wondering.

Why can't Nugent play the role Nugent played last year whilst Vardy plays the role Vardy played last year? How is Ulloa our biggest threat when he hasn't looked even slightly like scoring in a while? Surely we're at our most threatening when playing the same football that got us up here?

Why can't Nugent play the role Nugent played last year whilst Vardy plays the role Vardy played last year? How is Ulloa our biggest threat when he hasn't looked even slightly like scoring in a while? Surely we're at our most threatening when playing the same football that got us up here?

Because penalty aside Nugent hasn't looked like shooting let alone scoring he isn't good enough and no matter how much he smiles whilst running around aimlessly that won't change, Ulloa showed already get decent crosses in and he'll score goals

Because penalty aside Nugent hasn't looked like shooting let alone scoring he isn't good enough and no matter how much he smiles whilst running around aimlessly that won't change, Ulloa showed already get decent crosses in and he'll score goals

Yeah but last year people complained that Nugent does nothing but score penalties yet as soon as you take him and his link up play with Vardy out we look worse

I like the way you pick the only two examples, and ignore all the other matches, as i said he is a good header

of a football, and tries hard but i still maintain he is slow and not very mobile, the team is struggling

and lost tempo and i think he is part of the problem, i want this team to play to their potential, if he proves

me wrong good luck to him.

i will be the first person to hold my hand up and say i got it wrong but i can't see it somehow.

And what would that be then.

Or do you mean like we played last season.

In the prem we would be carved open trying to play like that every game.

Passes received by Ulloa vs Swansea

FEAFDA40-F7B8-40EE-B93A-C357D51BD6FA.png

That is scary to see. Although not surprising. 

I did feel like he was dropping too deep a lot though. Would've liked to have seen him stretch their defence a bit more. 

A lot of us seem to be toying with solving the same, clearly recognisable, problems and it doesn't quite work. 

Everything leaves weaknesses and frustrations.

Ulloa has to get proper service both on the floor and in the air. Which means he has to have supply from out wide plus runners around him who can use him as a pass and move rebound.

We also need two up front (because no single attacker is good enough) but if Ulloa plays we lose pace and pressuring while, if others start, we lose our only aerial threat.

But, even supplying width and crosses is a problem because our full-backs need assistance but, on the right side Mayrez (arguably our most threatening winger) doesn't support well enough and if we play two wingers it leaves central midfield exposed and neither of our left-sided players are convincing enough as wing-backs.

To me it makes a case for using Schlupp as left-midfielder in a diamond and King behind two strikers (goals threat, wall passes, near post runs, aeriel threat) but with certain defensive responsibilities too.     

Trouble is, with current personnel, there are no easy answers. Just a few potential improvements.

And what would that be then.

Or do you mean like we played last season.

In the prem we would be carved open trying to play like that every game.

it means closing players down quickly, attacking the ball not backing off, defending higher up the pitch,

running off the ball into sensible positions not playing people out of position for the sake of favoured

players,

also guess you havent noticed but we are being carved open playing the way we are.

you are clairvoyant as well, according to your reasoning last seasons must have been a fluke.

Archived