Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Fine margins

That isn't an argument. That is a fantasy.

If we accept that if we'd enjoyed more luck then we'd have had more points, one would also need to work on the assumption that others sides would too, had they enjoyed more luck, have accumulated more points.

We're 7 points shy of safety, of our losses I can only think of Spurs and Arsenal where we 'deserved' points (three and one respectively). That would still leave us three points away from safety before we even allow the other sides to add points from games they felt they deserved something from.

You're still refusing to acknowledge that we've had plenty of draws in games we've deserved to win? Why? Oh, because it weakens your argument.

You're still refusing to acknowledge that we've had plenty of draws in games we've deserved to win? Why? Oh, because it weakens your argument.

We've drawn a whopping six games. Are you seriously arguing we deserved to win each of our six drawn matches?

Yes and the examples offered by posters were in fact made up of games we'd already got something from so I assume those posters were then arguing we deserved to win some of those games.

I'd have thought that was obvious.

It's really quite staggering that he's in work now.

I just cannot fathom how 10 points from 66 is in anyway acceptable.

Why I'd imagine has a lot to do with what people have pointed out in their thread. That in many games we've actually not performed badly on the hole of late and probably should be sat on more points than we are. If we'd looked a hopeless lost cause all season he'd have been gone. Now I'm sure people will whine that we have, but I don't think we have at all. I think we've looked very close to being ok for some time.

Before Villa winning the other night you were looking at for instance, us holding on to win against Everton and Burnley putting is out of the bottom three. Or a ref giving / not giving a penalty potentially being a deciding factor in where we finish.

So, yes it has been "fine margins". A phrase I'm as bored of as most people I'd imagine, but true non the less.

Up there with the worst threads i've seen on here.

What is the point? We all know the situation we've been in and we all know how easy it is to bend facts.

We've not been turned over this season and we've been competitive in each fixture we've played in. Which means we've been beaten by fine margins.

These margins are any combination of;

-Not being good enough.

-Poor refereeing.

-Luck.

-Individual mistakes.

Today comes down to the first two. Man City would have won either way because they're a quality side but the referee had a mare and we should have had more from the game but for awful decision making.

To say we've got what we've deserved based on that stat is narrow mindedness at it's hilarious worst.

Individual mistakes are part of the game. It's the manager / coaches' job to eliminate these be it by coaching set pieces properly, bringing the right players in or selecting the right players. When a keeper only concedes one goal in open play over five games and is then dropped for a keeper who concedes two per game, or you play two centre halfs and a left back who keep making individual errors when we have someone like Was on the bench who has looked a great deal better, then you are contributing to that. And, of course, luck and refereeing decisions swing both ways. We had plenty of dubious penalty shouts go our way last season, of course, do we start putting Pearson's successes, as well as his failures, down to that?

And those facts haven't been bent. They're the stats that matter in football, and the ones which have seen us end up bottom of the table and cut adrift.

Aside from all of this there might be a reasonable argument that Pearson should stay. But only if we first acknowledge that he's made mistakes and needs to show that he's learning from them. Otherwise how can we trust him to get promoted in, say, one or two seasons instead of two or three? Or to forge a side, in the process, which is going to find the transition smoother? Or to cope with summer team-building, day-to-day PL management better than he has this time? Do we really want to get promoted with a manager who we suspect we may have to move on very quickly, if not instantly?

I believe he can get better, but there's been precious little evidence for it yet. And by suggesting that he's already good enough to manage at this level, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, we're hardly helping. It's like the teacher saying E standard work is really an A*.

But even the idea that he's the best man for us in the second tier is flawed. We've seen how relegated managers tend to fair and there are few instances of them doing well, because there squad often changes significantly and the belief that the boss knows best is severely dented. So, basically, there has to be some pretty clear evidence that he's the right man for the job between now and the end of the season if we want him to carry on.

Fine margins keep being used by pearson really annoys me.

Yes sometimes you are unlucky and a fine margin can cost you a game, but in our case it's, lack of quality in many area's, individual errors, poor passing, poor tactics, poor management, and poor team selections, that have created the margins.

These so called fine margins have plagued us all season, so why haven't these issues been addressed, so maybe sometimes the fine ****ing margins go in our favour.

It does if you can back it up, which is what an argument is all about.

If we'd gotten the little bits of luck and refereeing decisions that have gone against us then we'd be in a much better position. Which is why some posters are so annoyed. We've not been as bad as the table suggests. If we'd had those breaks then we'd be out of the bottom 3 and the fans would be happier on the whole.

I`m sorry, but that`s rubbish, the tables never lie, you are where you deserve to be.

Do you honestly think we are the only team who have had decisions go against us, or who have had some bad breaks.

I bet you could talk to fans of every club in the country and they could point to things going against them.

We are where we are, for the most part because of poor management.

If we had got rid of Pearson before christmas, as personally i think we should have done, for all the moans of "there`s no one decent to replace him with" i think it would be pretty hard to find a manager that would have come in and not got more points than Pearson has!

Fine margins keep being used by pearson really annoys me.

Yes sometimes you are unlucky and a fine margin can cost you a game, but in our case it's, lack of quality in many area's, individual errors, poor passing, poor tactics, poor management, and poor team selections, that have created the margins.

These so called fine margins have plagued us all season, so why haven't these issues been addressed, so maybe sometimes the fine ****ing margins go in our favour.

The other thing he keeps coming out with is , "we have to stay in the game".

Well it`s been that cautious approach that has caused us to lose so many games by "fine margins".

Against the likes of Man City, Chelsea and the like, i can see why we would just try to "stay in the game", in the hope that if we keep it close, then in the last 20 minutes we can really give it a go, and might come away with a positive result. (Don`t even get me started on how we still managed to have a back 5 at the end of the Man City game the other night)

The trouble is, that he still seems to have that "stay in the game" approach, against the likes of Stoke, West Brom, Sunderland and the like.

Archived