Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Australian Defender

From a newspaper in the Oz

WOLLONGONG product Jacob Timpano won't be part of the most keenly watched training session Australian football has seen for some time, when Dwight Yorke steps out with his Sydney FC team-mates for the first time today.

Timpano, who is also on the books at the glamour A-League club, flew to England on Saturday night for a one-week trial with English League Championship club Leicester City.

The hastily arranged trial came after Leicester scouts were impressed with Timpano's performances for Australia in last month's World Youth Championships in the Netherlands.

Speaking from Sydney Airport prior to his departure on Saturday night, Timpano said Leicester made first contact with Sydney FC just 36 hours before he flew out.

"It only started yesterday morning, they contacted Sydney FC and they agreed to let me trial for one week," he said.

Yorke's first appearance on the training pitch comes less than eight weeks before Sydney play Melbourne Victory in the opening round of the A-League at Aussie Stadium on August 28.

His arrival, albeit a day late, last week got the ball rolling for the biggest drawcard in the new national competition.

Timpano will be a world away from the hype in Sydney as he attempts to impress City manager Craig Levein.

The Foxes, who started pre-season training last week, already have Australian's Danny Tiatto, Patrick Kisnorbo and Paul Henderson on their books.

Very interesting! I wonder if this is the chap MB means when he says a foreign striker.

We are getting together a nice little colony with the Australians! Hopefully it will be a good chance for Weso to stake a claim aswell.

I hope everyone saying CL has signed a lot of Scots take notice (and for the pedants, I know he didn't sign Tiatto....).

I hope everyone saying CL has signed a lot of Scots take notice (and for the pedants, I know he didn't sign Tiatto....).

131544[/snapback]

No Englishmen though

131550[/snapback]

He's taken 3 in on loan last season though...

131544[/snapback]

No Englishmen though

131550[/snapback]

131551[/snapback]

My main concern is he talked alot about the importance of having homegrown players, yet he is selling them and not even replacing them with English players. Not a great problem, but it is good to have some English players.

Some info about him... he had trials with Arsenal and Real Madrid

Timpano spent his youth playing days at Fernhill and attended school at the Holy Spirit College in Ballambi. He was picked up by the Wollongong Youth Academy and his talents also gained him two years at the NSW Institute of Sport. While Timpano is now regarded as a central defender, it wasn't too long ago that he was a reputable striker. In fact he was the leading goalscorer in the National Youth League of 2001. Here's a something you can throw up at trivia night; Timpano has considerable upper body strength. At a regional christian high school athletics carnival, Timpano finished second in 14 year old boys discus, with a throw of 27.70. He also finished second in the shot put throwing 10.74. Initially breaking through the Wolves squad at the age of 16, he finished his NSL career with 30+ appearances. He is very unlucky not to be playing in Europe at the moment, as in 2003 he was invited for a trial with Arsenal and Real Madrid were also monitoring his progress but both clubs were scared off by FIFA rules which deny under 18's from working overseas without parental supervision. He has many international youth honours under his belt. He featured in the Under 16's Pacific Cup, captained the Joeys unsuccessful campaign at the Under 17's World Championships in England and has already been named in the Young Socceroos squad that will compete in the Oceania World Youth Championship Qualifiers. He stuck with Wollongong when the NSL finished and on the 4th of December 2004 was snapped up by Sydney FC.

Timpano spent his youth playing days at Fernhill and attended school at the Holy Spirit College in Ballambi. He was picked up by the Wollongong Youth Academy and his talents also gained him two years at the NSW Institute of Sport. While Timpano is now regarded as a central defender, it wasn't too long ago that he was a reputable striker. In fact he was the leading goalscorer in the National Youth League of 2001. Here's a something you can throw up at trivia night; Timpano has considerable upper body strength. At a regional christian high school athletics carnival, Timpano finished second in 14 year old boys discus, with a throw of 27.70. He also finished second in the shot put throwing 10.74. Initially breaking through the Wolves squad at the age of 16, he finished his NSL career with 30+ appearances. He is very unlucky not to be playing in Europe at the moment, as in 2003 he was invited for a trial with Arsenal and Real Madrid were also monitoring his progress but both clubs were scared off by FIFA rules which deny under 18's from working overseas without parental supervision. He has many international youth honours under his belt. He featured in the Under 16's Pacific Cup, captained the Joeys unsuccessful campaign at the Under 17's World Championships in England and has already been named in the Young Socceroos squad that will compete in the Oceania World Youth Championship Qualifiers. He stuck with Wollongong when the NSL finished and on the 4th of December 2004 was snapped up by Sydney FC.

131556[/snapback]

:eek:

Get the lad in quick before someone realises who he is! Sounds very good, I like defenders with an eye for goal.

131556[/snapback]

Get the lad in quick before someone realises who he is! Sounds very good, I like defenders with an eye for goal.

131563[/snapback]

But he is not English. :eek: lollol:D:D:P:thumbup:;)

131556[/snapback]

131563[/snapback]

But he is not English. :eek: lollol:D:D:P:thumbup:;)

131567[/snapback]

Speaks English and likes curries, that will do :D:D:D

If Arsenal and Real Madrid were interested, then it seems very promising.

I can't say I've heard of him, but it could be that Levein's scouting could be starting to make some progress.

LCFC should start selling Castlemain XXXX and Fosters, we said bucket loads

We can even start a new song

Tie me kangaroo down sportTie me kangaroo down

all together now....

Tie me kangaroo down sportTie me kangaroo down

all together now....

now that would just be too funny to here that!!!

131544[/snapback]

No Englishmen though

131550[/snapback]

131551[/snapback]

My main concern is he talked alot about the importance of having homegrown players, yet he is selling them and not even replacing them with English players. Not a great problem, but it is good to have some English players.

131554[/snapback]

He still has that policy but, the homegrown players at the standard he requires are 2-3 years away. What is he supposed to do in the meantime?

131544[/snapback]

No Englishmen though

131550[/snapback]

131551[/snapback]

131554[/snapback]

He still has that policy but, the homegrown players at the standard he requires are 2-3 years away. What is he supposed to do in the meantime?

131658[/snapback]

That's true! I just wanted to moan, it's monday.

Archived