Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Formation

Just been having a think about this, it's really quite difficult to anticipate how we will line up this season. We've got players to play a number of different formations and I think we will use more than one this season, but Pearson does like a settled side and given we will play fewer games this season I suspect we will end up using one more than others.

Last season we played ostensibly a 4-4-2 but whenever I saw us it looked more of a 4-2-3-1 with Nugent linking the play. I'm fairly confident we will push a deal through for Ulloa and I think that changes things. If you play Ulloa you really want to play Albrighton because he's the best crosser of the ball, and if we're playing one up front that means leaving out Vardy, because if he's not through the middle the only place I could really see him going is wide right. I think Mahrez or Knockaert are a better bet on the left than Vardy. In that shape you can choose one of Mahrez, Nugent or Knockaert to play as the "10".

Alternatively if you stick with a 4-4-2 I think you can stick either Nugent or preferably Vardy up front alongside Ulloa in a 4-4-2 which seems the best fit for the personnel (including Ulloa) as it stands but is perhaps a bit of a step backwards. Is that a wise formation to play in the Premier League? One thing in it's favour is we're well suited to defending in numbers, the attackers are good at getting back and if we played 4-4-2 I think we'd sit deep, get men behind the ball and hit on the break. Downside is it probably means Knockaert and Nugent not getting much of a look in. I suspect Knockaert might find his opportunities relatively limited this season either way.

I also haven't ruled out the possibility that we will sign a good defensive midfielder and that opens up the possibility of playing 4-3-3, with a signing in midfield with James and Drinkwater and three up top. That's a formation I'm a big fan of but is perhaps not the best option for our current roster.

As things stand, if I had to predict our starting XI for Everton I'd go with this.

Schmeichel

de Laet Morgan Upson Schlupp

Albrighton Drinkwater James Mahrez

Ulloa Vardy

Thoughts?

How I would start against Everton with the current squad as it is:

Kasper

De Laet    Morgan    Moore    Schlupp

James    Drinkwater

Albrighton      Nugent       Mahrez

Vardy

Subs:

Hamer
Upson
Konch
King

Hammond
Knocky
Wood

But maybe some more experience in midfield is needed and another striker option (ie Ulloa). 

Just been having a think about this, it's really quite difficult to anticipate how we will line up this season.

Thoughts?

Hopefully this will remain the case all season, so opposing managers cannot be certain of the formation we will be using

How I would start against Everton with the current squad as it is:

Kasper

De Laet    Morgan    Moore    Schlupp

James    Drinkwater

Albrighton      Nugent       Mahrez

Vardy

Subs:

Hamer

Upson

Konch

King

Hammond

Knocky

Wood

But maybe some more experience in midfield is needed and another striker option (ie Ulloa). 

You forgot Wasyl? i think people forget hes one of the most experienced defenders we have, given anderlect and the polish caps hes played over 60 international games which is round about what shearer had. not forgetting champions league. so to forget about him, could prove costly. this has been said before but you need him and upson for those freezing winter days midweek, when we are drawing and its pissing down with rain to keep the point.

This is the purpose of the thread. Where do you see him playing?

This is going to be a big issue. With Albrighton, Knockaert and Mahrez. The only way I see them all playing is if we play three behind, but then we'll be playing with one striker. So the choice will then be between Nugent, Vardy and maybe Ulloa/another target man. It's going to be a difficult choice for Nigel, but that's what we should want really, and lets face it he isn't scared of making those difficult decisions.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to probably pre-judge, just because there seems to be a player you wouldn't want to leave out because they bring that something extra that another wouldn't and visa versa, which goes to show how far we have travelled since Nigel came back.

Under Sven there was (almost) certainly a starting XI and system...

I think wasyl's ability shouldn't be questioned, maybe he isnt the fastest. But to me a ideal centre back for me is strong on an off the ball, not affraid of tackles, or opposing teams players which i think the younger defenders will be IE Moore and Schluup. can get the ball to the front to enable the counter, which he has done countless time, for people not to even include him as a sub Baffles me.

how people can start with vardy on the bench is beyond me in whatever formation we play!!

his pace was our biggest threat last season and again will be this season, however i do think we need a target man (ulloa) to play up top with him

I personally think Nugent will struggle next season and get sold off back to the Championship next season. I was suprised when I seen a 3 year deal, he doesnt offer too much as a stiker or playmaker but i suppose we will get more cash for him if he goes elsewhere.

I predict 4 4 2      -    de Laet, Moore, Morgan, (Hopefully new LB).... Maherz, Drinky, James, Albrighton... Vardy (new ST)

Would love a Wickham/Vardy partnership next season!

and no way should albrighton be ahead of knockaert already, maybe after a few games when hes proved hes the better option but not to start with surely!

Albrighton IS better than Knocky.

Knockeart will be 3rd choice winger now IMO

This is the purpose of the thread. Where do you see him playing?

I've always wanted to see him in a central attacking midfield role, think he's wasted out wide and lacks pace.

Imo he needs to play

Schmeichel

De laet Moore Morgan schlupp(new lb)

James Drinkwater

Albrighton Knocky mahrez

Vardy

I understand we can't always play this way

and no way should albrighton be ahead of knockaert already, maybe after a few games when hes proved hes the better option but not to start with surely!

Albrighton has played in the prem before. I think Knocky will need some time before he can play comfortably in the prem, I can imagine him trying a million tricks before giving the ball away a few times.

Kasper

DeLaet Morgan Moore New LB

New CM. James

Mahrez. Drinkwater. Albrighton

Vardy

Subs. Ham, new CB/RB cover, Knocky, King, Nugent, New Striker, Schlupp

Out of interest, why would you choose Albrighton on the left?

how people can start with vardy on the bench is beyond me in whatever formation we play!!

his pace was our biggest threat last season and again will be this season, however i do think we need a target man (ulloa) to play up top with him

Yep I think Vardy is critical too, but so is a big man, so it's tough.

I've always wanted to see him in a central attacking midfield role, think he's wasted out wide and lacks pace.

Imo he needs to play

Schmeichel

De laet Moore Morgan schlupp(new lb)

James Drinkwater

Albrighton Knocky mahrez

Vardy

I understand we can't always play this way

Yeah I'd like to see Knocky through the middle.

STRONGLY DISAGREE :)

As FoxFanazer said if you play 4 2 3 1 Knocky is prob the best option as CAM. He has flair, can hit a screemer every now and again. But out on the wing he lacks pace which is essentail in the prem or at the very least have a superb end product which unfortunatly he has neither. In the middle he could be a good player with taking people on and feeding the wingers or striker.

Just on the wing he looses the ball far to often and when you lose the ball to a LB/RB and then they take our LB/RB out or position, the CB pulls across and then we are in trouble.

Archived