-
Posts
4,583 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by fox_up_north
-
The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)
fox_up_north replied to Sly's topic in General Chat
Did my local. Double numbers to normal. Absolutely mental. -
The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)
fox_up_north replied to Sly's topic in General Chat
On a running note - I got all my parkrun data. First ever one in 2022 was 32 mins. 5 out of my 6 this year have been sub 26 mins, with 2 sub 25. I'm regularly top third (out of full field). All things considered, I'm pretty pleased. -
The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)
fox_up_north replied to Sly's topic in General Chat
I moved to heavy weight/ light weight on alternate weeks. Light weight weeks are 60% (ish) of max for around 12-16 reps first set, short sub 30 sec rest and then go again until tired. Repeat for 3-4 sets. The idea is that I can balance it all and have the energy to run on other days. Heavy week is about 80-90% of max for shorter reps. Those weeks obviously have less energy for running. NB: I've got a very medium body that isn't particularly built for anything. No chance I get super slim, no chance I get super stacked. So I just spin plates a lot. -
I caught a preview on youtube and he seems quite different and full of himself. I know a few people online who went and saw his tour after the series. It seemed either he was putting on a show for Taskmaster or it slightly went to his head. Seemed a bit full of himself they said
-
This is where I'm at. Some losses you can appreciate that something didn't work, a wonder goal, a bad ref decision, etc. But the squad IS capable. Maybe not of challenging for 1st or 2nd but definitely of play offs. Most teams in the division would take a number of our players and it's been shown what a good manager can do to elevate perceptions, with appropriate planning and attitude.
-
This sounds like it was diabolical. I used to sort of respect AJ for being decent, even among a rubbish heavyweight scene but for christ sakes this whole thing has been tragic.
-
Shows you how bad this league can be when Wrexham are this high up
-
I'm 36 and feel better than 5 years ago. Covid break was a wake up call. I'm 2.5 stone lighter, stronger, fitter and achieving sub 25 min 5k runs. My last parkrun I beat lads a good 10-12 years younger than me and turning 40, 50 and 60 doesn't scare me.
-
Disappointed Belgium kiboshed the use of Russian assets. Some believe that it will be used as a stick to Putin - don't play ball and you lose 200 billion. On one hand - hurrah for the "loan" but we could be doing more. EU really needs to be showing more backbone and resolve, in the face of an enemy testing both.
-
Gone but not forgotten and certainly not the death list
fox_up_north replied to Daggers's topic in General Chat
That is genuinely insane and reads like an AI. I can't tell if he's trying to be positive or negative. Maybe both? Maybe neither? -
Gone but not forgotten and certainly not the death list
fox_up_north replied to Daggers's topic in General Chat
Seems to be statements pointing at the son, who had a history of addiction and mental health issues. Absolutely tragic, especially on a religious family gathering. -
I have this image in my head of US arms salesmen rubbing their hands with every school shooting
-
The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)
fox_up_north replied to Sly's topic in General Chat
Did a parkrun with a good time (for me) of 25:20 but it's prompted me to get more suitable running shoes. Parts of it were like running through Pat Sharp's Fun House and I had to do baby steps to stay upright. So I've tried out and ordered some New Balance Goretex trail shoes -
Had to turn on my VPN to search him
-
Man's potentially got fewer legs than Lieutenant Dan and we'll give him £80k per week
-
Closer to the start than the end. I'm mid 30s. I made choices to not pursue careers that involved moving to the links of London and have favoured a cheaper lifestyle. I spent about 6 years not going on holiday to save up
-
Interesting. I could earn a good £4-5000 more per year going in 5 days a week at another job. Absolutely no interest to do so. I value my time and not commuting. Have turned down jobs abroad for good money for similar reasons. 3 days a week I can log off, be in the gym for 5pm and have the rest of the evening to myself. Cannot put a price on that. An added thought that this also plays into birth rates. I young couples are expected to be somewhere 5 days a week, which is likely out of the house 8-6, spending money on commute, then childcare costs - it may be all part of the same problem.
-
May I ask, are you in an office 5 days a week?
-
The flip side of that is in the office they can get caught up in gossip, bad habits, etc. My company is 50% fully remote. There is no "one size fits all" and no one way of learning. Excluding applications from those who want to WFH is potentially removing good workers. I'm WFH 3.5 days a week. Best results in my team, which includes those who do minimal WFH.
-
This is an area I'm interested in. Numerous studies, based on countries that have attempted to boost birth rates through subsidies and payments, have found a few things: 1 - growth of education and careers for women has significantly impacted their desire to have children 2 - the expectations of what a parent should do has shifted. "Making do" and not providing a range of activities and experiences is seen as a negative, compared to 3 children sharing a bedroom in the 1970s. 3 - concerns about the costs are less a factor than the others. In Scandi countries and Asia, where many benefits were trialled, they still did not noticeably influence births to replacement rate The summary is that to get the genie back in the bottle, you would have to significantly scale back rights for women, lifestyle expectations and manage the "home workload".Or, to put it another way, take society back to the 1950s. I do not see this happening. Would dearly love to cite the studies and provide links but I'm on my phone during work. This is an area I am keenly interested in as it will significantly impact my industry over the next 30 years.
-
Not quite jail, for me but repeatedly calling on people to report a well known public figure to the police on false accusations (given his reach) should get the very top end of sentencing.
-
Really improving his performances but still a ridiculous amount paid. Not his fault, though.
-
Premier League 2025/26 Thread
fox_up_north replied to OntarioFox's topic in General Football and Sport
What a game this is -
Ok who is this team?
-
The one time I decide the hassle isn't worth it...
