Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

Not much sympathy for the protestors - why attack a local business run by two brothers rather than the multinational tax dodgers like Starbucks?

A very poor way of expressing a valid point - that the gentrification of London is pricing out many of those who've called it home for generations. 

Not much sympathy for the protestors - why attack a local business run by two brothers rather than the multinational tax dodgers like Starbucks?

A very poor way of expressing a valid point - that the gentrification of London is pricing out many of those who've called it home for generations. 

They should just do what they did to anyone else who had a problem with "outsiders" coming into their community and completely changing it for the 60 years - smear them as racist.

Ironically I bet these are the last people who would have protested against that.

I doubt that the protesters will be local people anyway.

Probably some upper-class prats who think they are revolutionaries

Another day another Nazi reference at the conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34381500

Government plans to make striking workers wear official armbands on the picket line are similar to Nazi attempts to victimise trade unions, the head of Unite has said.

Len McCluskey told Labour's conference his members would not comply with the proposal in the Trade Union Bill.

He said the Nazis made trade unionists wear armbands with red triangles "in the concentration camps of Dachau".

When a parties biggest donor is led by someone like this it's hard to see them wnining an election, I really hope we don't just get five years of this, give us some policy to scrutinise please.

Corbyn speech at 2.15 - though sounds like it's going to be a bit dull with no policy to speak of.

Won't top last year's classic when Ed spent 80 minutes talking and forgot to mention the economy.

He's not been able to contain himself since Corbyn got elected.

He was stealing balls from the daily politics and apparantly last night was running around pissed up tickling people.

So it hasn't been cut then Ken? How about number 9 - the failed promise that we'll be running a surplus by 2019 - do I need to point the obvious in that broken promise or can you see it yourself?

According to the Office for Budget Responsibility that means the first child rate will have fallen 14.4% in real terms over a decade.

Excuse  number one 20 to go.

I am pleased that you are loving the promises broken.

I'm in total shock.

Politicians making promises they couldn't keep.

Have there been any examples of governments that didn't do this?

Good points about his speech: Honest, straight forward, liked the appeal for calm and civil politics free from personal abuse, right to question Saudi Arabia and our involvement in them. Some strong social policy statements.

Bad points: No mention of Iran or other states just as bad as Saudis, the ridiculous sight of Len "them Tory bastards" McCluskey standing and applauding the "no abuse" plea. Didn't even mention the deficit (is that a regular thing now at Labour conferences) or give an inkling of how he'll pay for the things he wants given it will require astronomical public spending.

All in all what I expected, a pitch to his supporters rather than the country, I think he's not intending to talk about policy for a while, expect Labour to look very different before he does, I'd expect more than a slight purge on dissenting voices.

Sorry to butt in on your political debate but can any of you computery types show the picture of Corbyn in todays Telegraph ......  I'd swear his right leg is 10 times bigger than a normal blokes !!

It reminds me of when humans turned into werewolves in that film with Patrick McNee ....    He must have just been on the turn when the lucky snapper got that one in a million shot

Another day another Nazi reference at the conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34381500

When a parties biggest donor is led by someone like this it's hard to see them wnining an election, I really hope we don't just get five years of this, give us some policy to scrutinise please.

Wouldn't it be better to scrutinise the policies that matter? Those being put in place by the Conservative government. You don't seem to talk about them anymore only Corbyn and his followers.

Wouldn't it be better to scrutinise the policies that matter? Those being put in place by the Conservative government. You don't seem to talk about them anymore only Corbyn and his followers.

I wonder why? 

And yes breaking promises  is nothing new for  politicians. Labour governments have also done it. But the Tory's were elected on those promises. They said the NHS was safe with them yet they are selling chunks of it off. Nurse have received just 1% pay rise and working more hours. Doctors are leaving the country for better conditions.

It is not rosy for everyone. Corbyn may not be perfect but at least he is trying to engage with people that have felt they were being ignored before. He is trying to change the way people view politicians after so many have been disillusioned with them over the years. He may well have to make compromises regarding  his ideals but at least he cares for the ordinary man on the street, the young, the disabled the sick and the low paid worker, something that has been missing and brought about the 'I'm alright culture' which sadly we seem to have now.

FIF I do scrutinise all policy, I made my feelings clear on the TU bill in the other Corbyn thread, I want to start on some Corbyn policy as well when we get some.

Ken I've asked you this before but what is "the average man on the street" - because I didn't hear too much today that spoke up what I consider it tobe and from what I see of CCorbyn's supporter very few seem to come from that demographic either.

Archived