Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

I know I will be ignored...........Corbyn has a massive ego..he will go native as they all do.. take note the idealists..he will let you down.. the dispossessed is a massive market he will mine..  one thing to learn about politicians ...when they have finished fooking you one way.. they will fook you another.. sorry.

I wonder why? 

And yes breaking promises  is nothing new for  politicians. Labour governments have also done it. But the Tory's were elected on those promises. They said the NHS was safe with them yet they are selling chunks of it off. Nurse have received just 1% pay rise and working more hours. Doctors are leaving the country for better conditions.

It is not rosy for everyone. Corbyn may not be perfect but at least he is trying to engage with people that have felt they were being ignored before. He is trying to change the way people view politicians after so many have been disillusioned with them over the years. He may well have to make compromises regarding  his ideals but at least he cares for the ordinary man on the street, the young, the disabled the sick and the low paid worker, something that has been missing and brought about the 'I'm alright culture' which sadly we seem to have now.

EVERY new leader of the opposition talks about engaging with the people more, about changing peoples perception of politics and politicians, about how they care the the most vulnerable in society.  Corbyn isn't being remotely unique with those statements.  Give any politician a top-job and they will say the exact same thing.  What matters is policy, and so far it couldn't have gone much worse.

What is perhaps unique is his call for 'Kinder' politics, however I feel that is more of a plea to the Conservatives, national press and wider public to stop bringing up his dirty laundry regarding his views on the IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah, Israel, Bin Laden, the Monarchy, 9/11 etc etc.  Although no doubt we'll see him whip out the SNP-style 'Tory bullies' card when Cameron & Co decide it's time to go on the offensive.

Good points about his speech: Honest, straight forward, liked the appeal for calm and civil politics free from personal abuse, right to question Saudi Arabia and our involvement in them. Some strong social policy statements.

Bad points: No mention of Iran or other states just as bad as Saudis, the ridiculous sight of Len "them Tory bastards" McCluskey standing and applauding the "no abuse" plea. Didn't even mention the deficit (is that a regular thing now at Labour conferences) or give an inkling of how he'll pay for the things he wants given it will require astronomical public spending.

All in all what I expected, a pitch to his supporters rather than the country, I think he's not intending to talk about policy for a while, expect Labour to look very different before he does, I'd expect more than a slight purge on dissenting voices.

It was agreed by John Pinaar and other political correspondents that this maiden speech at the conference as leader was aimed at a re-positioning of the party to the left. There was never going to be any detail as policies haven't been agreed yet. It will be interesting to see how much Corbyn sticks to his left wing guns on the big policies that affect the population. Or will the party use him to move it radically to the left then, as the election approaches, ditch him and make a move back to the centre, but less so than Blair and thereby claim itself to be a direct oppostion to the Tories?

What do think the average man on the street is Ken?

That's a good question.

I would say a hard working person who wants the best for their family. They also care about disadvantaged people and believe in the NHS and agree with Corbyn's shopping list of ideals.

Most of them are also realists and know that in the real world that taxing them even more is no solution to society's problems 

It was agreed by John Pinaar and other political correspondents that this maiden speech at the conference as leader was aimed at a re-positioning of the party to the left. There was never going to be any detail as policies haven't been agreed yet. It will be interesting to see how much Corbyn sticks to his left wing guns on the big policies that affect the population. Or will the party use him to move it radically to the left then, as the election approaches, ditch him and make a move back to the centre, but less so than Blair and thereby claim itself to be a direct oppostion to the Tories?

It's very possible but it's a risky move, Labour are going to face some serious challenges for their support over the next few years, UKIP will be attacking on immigration and the EU, Lib Dems will be courting the more moderate members of the party and god only knows what barmny stuff the Greens will be dreaming up to try and get some attention from the hard left. If they lose a lot of people over the next 2-3 years it would be daft to just assume you can win them all back a year or so before the election just be moving towards the centre. They would also lose a hell of a lot of the new support they had gained.

They do need to get a 

That's a good question.

I would say a hard working person who wants the best for their family. They also care about disadvantaged people and believe in the NHS and agree with Corbyn's shopping list of ideals.

Most of them are also realists and know that in the real world that taxing them even more is no solution to society's problems 

Pretty accurate description I think.

It was lucky for Holmes that he wasn't in the same room. A lot of people would have decked him before the end. Corbyn handled him very well in a controlled and calm manner.

But that is  only my view on how it came across. I thought these interviewers were supposed to be neutral. Some stupid questioning there.

The press need to be careful, robust questioning is fine but if they get too personal you could end up making people feel sorry for him.

And sympathy is the last thing a person like Corbyn should have given what he has said and done in the past.

Why? It's pretty clear what your view on him is, and it's also pretty clear the views that his supporters hold, and it's definitely clear that there's going to be little change in the polarisation.

The media can be as scummy as they like on this one really (and IMO they are excelling themselves), there aren't many fence-sitters so I doubt what they say will change peoples minds anyway.

Why? It's pretty clear what your view on him is, and it's also pretty clear the views that his supporters hold, and it's definitely clear that there's going to be little change in the polarisation.

The media can be as scummy as they like on this one really (and IMO they are excelling themselves), there aren't many fence-sitters so I doubt what they say will change peoples minds anyway.

The British are a very sympathising nation; if they see someone being "bullied" they could get behind him and as I say, this is the last person anyone should have sympathy for giving his positions on some horrific people and organisations.

The media have been scum to everyone recently, look at the reporting on Leon Brittan who now appears to be innocent, look at the Cameron pig story, an unidentified source in the Daily Mail and everyone believed it (which was the ironys of all ironies for the those who have spent the last 15 years telling us to believe nothing we see or read in the Mail).

The whole "kind and gentle" poiitics is bollocks anyway, him and McDonnell were apparantly two of the biggest ranters going for the last 20 years, it's so obviously a tactic he's using to try and stop people bringing up the disgraceful things he and his cronies like Abbott and McDonnell have said in the past. No idea how people are falling for it.

Not a bad thing if he sticks to this.

"I don't do personal, I don't do reaction, I don't do abuse. Life is too short and it devalues the political process. I think we should try and enhance the democratic life of this country, not reduce it to that level"

Not a bad thing if he sticks to this.

"I don't do personal, I don't do reaction, I don't do abuse. Life is too short and it devalues the political process. I think we should try and enhance the democratic life of this country, not reduce it to that level"

Certainly was for all the kids who his mates blew to kingdom come.

Bit weird from that Holmes, if he wants to be Andrew Neil he needs to do the same amount of research as him and hit him with facts.

Came across as lazy and sounded like he'd spent about ten minutes preparing.

The British are a very sympathising nation; if they see someone being "bullied" they could get behind him and as I say, this is the last person anyone should have sympathy for giving his positions on some horrific people and organisations.

The media have been scum to everyone recently, look at the reporting on Leon Brittan who now appears to be innocent, look at the Cameron pig story, an unidentified source in the Daily Mail and everyone believed it (which was the ironys of all ironies for the those who have spent the last 15 years telling us to believe nothing we see or read in the Mail).

The whole "kind and gentle" poiitics is bollocks anyway, him and McDonnell were apparantly two of the biggest ranters going for the last 20 years, it's so obviously a tactic he's using to try and stop people bringing up the disgraceful things he and his cronies like Abbott and McDonnell have said in the past. No idea how people are falling for it.

I honestly don't think that media mistreating the guy will lead to additional sympathy from those who weren't going to show him sympathy in the first place - like I said, I think views are too entrenched for that.

No disagreement regarding the media treating a lot of Westminster like idiots right now - I'm actually inclined to believe the Cameron pig story because the Fail would have no ulterior motive in printing it, beyond perhaps making sure that Cameron does jump before the next election (maybe a "friend" of his called in a favour?), but yes, it's all pretty filthy.

As for what Corbyn has said and done in the past, context issues aside I'm much more interested in what he says and does now. Personally I think he can't court anywhere near the amount of swing voters he would need to win a GE, but at the very least things might get shook up a bit.

Idk what you're on about, considering the disgusting treatment of Miliband on the run up to the election, he hardly got any sympathy votes for being  absolutely gangbanged by the tory press, neither will Corbyn. 

This.

If you are referring to the  'friends' video made by the Tories to discredit Corbyn, it has to be shown to have been taken out of context. What he actually said was that Bin Laden not going to trial was a tragedy because the full process of the law was not carried out. And he has said that what ISIS are doing is wrong as are the things that other countries are doing are wrong.

He also said peace was not brought about in Ireland by kicking in doors, it was brought about by a few people coming to an agreement. He has called on Cameron to intervine on a proposed execution in Saudia Arabia which so far he has endorsed.

When not viewed in a biased way and in context what he said in the past would be what most would agree with.

With stuff like this, is it really surprising that some people around the world might be a little bit annoyed at UK foreign policy - in the past and in the present - and therefore want to cause us harm?

With stuff like this, is it really surprising that some people around the world might be a little bit annoyed at UK foreign policy - in the past and in the present - and therefore want to cause us harm?

Yes I would certainly find it surprising if some people were translating some mildly shifty international politics into a desire to physically harm innocent civilians.

Is this what Corbyn referred to in his speech? The journalist  that is due to be executed and Corbyn has called Cameron to do something as it a human rights violation.

Archived