Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Is Mahrez the best since George Best?

How can you compare properly when he played with totally different balls, on totally different pitches, things that have a massive impact on dribbling.

I used to think the same as you until I watched some George Best stuff very recently and I was amazed at what he was doing. There was one clip especially that stuck in my mind as he was on an absolute shit heap of a pitch. Soaking wet, muddy, all cut up... and he just glided across it like he was on a carpet. It really changed my mind.

Yup..

plus even an old winkly like me could not go back that far, I am willing to bet from the beginning of the Semi-professional game, way back into the 20s , that there were players Uk and International that could argue their own right to be recognised, backed by the ghosts of the teams supporters.

To argue against, in Bests days and well before,MOTD the Big clubs gave the big name, media never rated and really looked at the also rans. Smaller clubs had for their fans, individuals just has good.

G.Best was probably the 1st footballing TV star, but like lets say J.Haynes/SMatthews how many fans or even reporters seen them play, at all, or twice a month.

I became aquainted with an old "Daily Sketch" reporter. He said to me....I have covered many sports around the world, but I could only report on 100s of comparisons, but you and your kids, will see live or on TV the sports stars, maybe everyday of the week, memories repeated infront of you a thousand times, including the lower level offererings, but even then your individual bias or unbias ideas will not be any fairer.

The common denominators are only individual opinions, just how we see our own the beautiful woman. or how does that guy pull such an angel, or even visa versa....opinions/expertise are myths of the mind.

One of the nicest strangers I ever met. who became a short time sport travelling friend.

To be fair to OP, you have only read the title.

He's talking about Best being the best dribbler of the ball he's seen and Mahrez being the best at dribbling since Best.

The ball is virtually glued to Mahrez's feet. Although I can only assume OP hasn't seen much (if any) of La Liga because Messi and Neymar are on a different planet all together.

Actually,another algerian(Brahimi)when he was playing for Granada fc(2012-2014),was voted as the best dribbler of "la liga" ahead of Messi,Ronaldo or Neymar.

And i don't imagine that Brahimi is that much of a better dribbler than Mahrez...

Hahahaha, I'm Algerian and even I'm not that biased. George Best and Mahrez shouldn't be talked about in the same sentence.

Mahrez is a good player. Technically, he's extremely gifted, and he does probably have the potential to become a world class player. But even if he fulfills his absolute maximum potential, I can't see him matching the likes of Ronaldo, Messi or Neymar (plus a few others) and if that's the case, we can't go comparing him to an all-time great like Best. 

Actually,another algerian(Brahimi)when he was playing for Granada fc(2012-2014),was voted as the best dribbler of "la liga" ahead of Messi,Ronaldo or Neymar.

And i don't imagine that Brahimi is that much of a better dribbler than Mahrez...

Brahimi is a very good dribbler. Put it this way, when Algeria play and Brahimi and Mahrez are both on the same pitch, Brahimi is definitely our star man in terms of creativity. Brahimi was a good dribbler at Granada but he really didn't have any end product back then. He's definitely added to that since his move to Porto and so has Mahrez this season. Football, at the end of the day, is all about end product and that's what makes a great player. Mahrez had some great games for Leicester last season, but that end product wasn't there. I would argue his dribbling ability has stayed the same as last season, but with the added end products of assists and goals, we are now talking about a potential PFA player of the season, while last season he wasn't even really considered for Leicester's player of the season award.

Yeh he is.

And yes you can compare, no one except maybe Maradona even comes close to Messi when it comes to dribbling.

Cruyff quite easily. 

And players like Cruyff, Best, Di Stefano, Maradona, Platini etc did it when pitches were shite and footballs were harder.

Archived