Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Is Mahrez the best since George Best?

I am speaking from a personal point of view on players I saw play in the flesh. Certainly, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo are great players. However, in my opinion, George was the greatest. He could dribble, tackle, score with either foot, head the ball and was a brilliant passer. Hew good was George? When he was getting to the end of his career, Northern Ireland was playing the Netherlands.This team included the all-time great, Johan Cryuff. Somebody asked George before the game who was the better player, him or Cryuff. George just said "watch this". Two minutes into the game , George nutmegs Cryuff. Enough said.

Mahrez isn't there yet, he can't tackle as well as George and is not as lethal in front of goal. However, he is the best I have seen in the blue of Leicester. Will he become an all time great? Time will tell......

Mahrez is a wonderful player - but George Best was breathtaking.

Marvellous dribbler at pace or from a standing start, devastating shot in either foot, brilliant header of the ball despite not being tall, brave as a Spartan warrior, incredible vision and imagination, fast, exciting, perfectly capable of tackling/defending against anyone and with a charisma so rare it would have been priceless in today's market.

Cristiano Ronaldo could be mentioned in the same breath but no others I ever watched could boast the range of Best's qualities.

It's easy to see the similarities in style between them. Mahrez still has time to be as good as George. 

There are no real similarities between Mahrez and Best - not as footballers or as people. Even as dribblers their styles were completely different. I'm not sure I'd necessarily rate Mahrez as Leicester's most exciting winger. Memory plays funny tricks and today's game is not easy to compare with the games of yesteryear but Lenny Glover and Derek Hogg were pretty exciting too.    

Mahrez is a wonderful player - but George Best was breathtaking.

Marvellous dribbler at pace or from a standing start, devastating shot in either foot, brilliant header of the ball despite not being tall, brave as a Spartan warrior, incredible vision and imagination, fast, exciting, perfectly capable of tackling/defending against anyone and with a charisma so rare it would have been priceless in today's market.

Cristiano Ronaldo could be mentioned in the same breath but no others I ever watched could boast the range of Best's qualities.

Agree on this, though I must say Ronaldos Heading is/was probably slightly better.Bests vision for teammates

Best imo was better.Plus through no fault of his own, didnt have the chance to translate his skill to Int.Level.

Its an opinion game, So Jairzinho, Gerson and again Maradona, would test all the Skills of Georgie.

I am also throwing in again, another very underrated player, our own K.Weller, Joe Mercer said at the

time, he Weller could equal anything on Best, and it was criminal England didnt give him at least 50 caps .

On Sky tonight, Craig Bellamy said that he thought Mahrez is the best player in the Premiership............some compliment or what???

The bad news is imo he will not be here next season, I see a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid coming along & to be sure he would not be able to turn either of them down.

The good news is that if that did happen he would command the biggest transfer fee ever paid for a Leicester player, but I would rather he did stay with us coz he is a truly World Class player. £40 - £50 million?

Slightly off topic to the original post bit, I can't decide whether mahrez has pace, any stats?

He is 60 Kg for 1m79, he better be fast with that weight. He is considered underweight by body mass index calculation. Pretty unusual for a professional athlete :)

On Sky tonight, Craig Bellamy said that he thought Mahrez is the best player in the Premiership............some compliment or what???

The bad news is imo he will not be here next season, I see a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid coming along & to be sure he would not be able to turn either of them down.

The good news is that if that did happen he would command the biggest transfer fee ever paid for a Leicester player, but I would rather he did stay with us coz he is a truly World Class player. £40 - £50 million?

I don't believe anyone would spend that much on an African player even less an Algerian player unfortunately. Take a look at Brahimi, noone is willing to pay his fee even though if his name was Brahiminho he would be playing for barca lol

Best wasn't the best player so it's a mute point. Maradona was hands down the best player ever. He was/is a total bellend, but as a player no one comes close.

I put it to you that Zidane would not only piss on Maradona's chips, he'd get him sent off doing it. His touch and vision (less so dribbling) were insane.

He was also Algerian!

Best wasn't the best player so it's a mute point. Maradona was hands down the best player ever. He was/is a total bellend, but as a player no one comes close.

:blink: you don't say..

I knew this would get you when I read it.

Don't be stupid.

You've just mentioned Dalglish, Charlton and Best - all players that won European Cups for their clubs and in Charlton's case a World Cup too - they are head and shoulders above any player here.

Mahrez won't be as good as either of them.

By the time Best was Mahrez' age he was consistently scoring hat tricks in Europe and had already won the European Cup.

Don't be stupid.

You've just mentioned Dalglish, Charlton and Best - all players that won European Cups for their clubs and in Charlton's case a World Cup too - they are head and shoulders above any player here.

Mahrez won't be as good as either of them.

By the time Best was Mahrez' age he was consistently scoring hat tricks in Europe and had already won the European Cup.

To be fair to OP, you have only read the title.

He's talking about Best being the best dribbler of the ball he's seen and Mahrez being the best at dribbling since Best.

The ball is virtually glued to Mahrez's feet. Although I can only assume OP hasn't seen much (if any) of La Liga because Messi and Neymar are on a different planet all together.

is he?not sure you can compare when you look at what best did with worse pitches, balls and boots.

Yeh he is.

And yes you can compare, no one except maybe Maradona even comes close to Messi when it comes to dribbling.

Yeh he is.

And yes you can compare, no one except maybe Maradona even comes close to Messi when it comes to dribbling.

Agreed, but i'd give an honourary mention to Gazza (in his earlier years). He reminded me of Maradona when he was dribbling, the way he stuck his chest out and seemed to change direction so easily. Giggs wasn't a shabby dribbler either, but Maradona was the best.

Yeh he is.

And yes you can compare, no one except maybe Maradona even comes close to Messi when it comes to dribbling.

How can you compare properly when he played with totally different balls, on totally different pitches, things that have a massive impact on dribbling.

I used to think the same as you until I watched some George Best stuff very recently and I was amazed at what he was doing. There was one clip especially that stuck in my mind as he was on an absolute shit heap of a pitch. Soaking wet, muddy, all cut up... and he just glided across it like he was on a carpet. It really changed my mind.

Archived