Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 14/05/2020 at 00:59, Leicester_Loyal said:

Estate agents opening back up, anyone in a hurry to buy? I think I'll be sitting on my deposit, adding to it every payday and seeing where the market goes in the next 3/4 months.

Absolutely, I don’t think prices are likely to rise. I’d sit and wait for a bit if I was you.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Absolutely, I don’t think prices are likely to rise. I’d sit and wait for a bit if I was you.

I think they’ll drop initially. I don’t think it’ll be for that long though. The market was at a real peak pre-lockdown. 

We’re too far along now with our purchase. Should have completed on 10th April. Looking to be beginning of June now. I just want our own place more than anything. Kids are really excited for it, the wife can’t think of enough things to put in the damn thing either it seems! 

I know that in effect I’ll be paying over the odds to what the house will probably be worth at the point of completion, but we don’t plan on moving again anyway, and to be honest, the thought of having to go through the process all over again makes me nauseous instantly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stix said:

I think they’ll drop initially. I don’t think it’ll be for that long though. The market was at a real peak pre-lockdown. 

We’re too far along now with our purchase. Should have completed on 10th April. Looking to be beginning of June now. I just want our own place more than anything. Kids are really excited for it, the wife can’t think of enough things to put in the damn thing either it seems! 

I know that in effect I’ll be paying over the odds to what the house will probably be worth at the point of completion, but we don’t plan on moving again anyway, and to be honest, the thought of having to go through the process all over again makes me nauseous instantly. 

Some things are priceless mate, having a spacious family home is one of them imo.

Best of luck with it pal.

On 13/04/2020 at 08:22, Strokes said:

Any ideas what the forecast is for the housing market after the lockdown? I guess it’s pretty bleak. :cry:

Re this, I was told at work yesterday that we are expecting it to ramp up around September time but I suspect until then my work will get about 50% of its work force doing something else which tells you a story.

Like you have said to others, I think people will hold off for a few months and hope for a bargain.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Re this, I was told at work yesterday that we are expecting it to ramp up around September time but I suspect until then my work will get about 50% of its work force doing something else which tells you a story.

Like you have said to others, I think people will hold off for a few months and hope for a bargain.

Do you think that’ll actually happen though? If I were thinking of selling I think I’d definitely wait it out until next spring, if I was in a position to do so. I think many others will consider this as well, which should then raise house prices? As it becomes a sellers market? 

20 minutes ago, stix said:

Do you think that’ll actually happen though? If I were thinking of selling I think I’d definitely wait it out until next spring, if I was in a position to do so. I think many others will consider this as well, which should then raise house prices? As it becomes a sellers market? 

Well put it this way, if my business is going under and the choice is to have my house repossessed or to sell it for some equity back that’s what I’m doing.

Remember that unemployment will rise by 10%, possibly more so you will probably see people panic and get what they can.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well put it this way, if my business is going under and the choice is to have my house repossessed or to sell it for some equity back that’s what I’m doing.

Remember that unemployment will rise by 10%, possibly more so you will probably see people panic and get what they can.

Very true. 

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sorry to also add, over 50,000 people have died since the housing market stopped. There are going to surely be quite an influx added from this, from people that inherited. We will be selling my grandads who sadly passed just days before the lockdown. No point in waiting for the market to pick up, it might get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

All depends on the umemployment number and the furlough percentage IMO. Employees may just prefer to make staff redundant and then re-hire when possible, rather than paying them to stay at home.

EDIT: Good point Stokes, elderly people living alone who have passed away means there may be a few houses going in the next couple of months.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Sorry to also add, over 50,000 people have died since the housing market stopped. There are going to surely be quite an influx added from this, from people that inherited. We will be selling my grandads who sadly passed just days before the lockdown. No point in waiting for the market to pick up, it might get worse before it gets better.

Yep true mate. 

Sorry to hear about your Grandad.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cambridgefox said:

Not exciting to you lot,but I posted a while back I was having one built.

Not had much down time as the day things closed my piles were set( insert pun here) and had to dry.

one bloke making cages on site,then 2 brickies and now 3.Cant believe how quickly things go up.

BAEA3030-B341-4AA9-927E-C23425984743.jpeg

D645E981-7C78-4752-B71D-99DEC0E151AF.jpeg

C4F04C39-B41C-49BB-9734-CE2CB522B7CD.jpeg

805323FB-1E7C-4064-9479-EC9522D39B63.jpeg

92E369A2-A2DB-487E-8FC9-15B60DDAA04B.jpeg

44A3C85C-97A3-4796-824C-DC83959F53FD.jpeg

They have built it sideways mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, cambridgefox said:

Not exciting to you lot,but I posted a while back I was having one built.

Not had much down time as the day things closed my piles were set( insert pun here) and had to dry.

one bloke making cages on site,then 2 brickies and now 3.Cant believe how quickly things go up.

BAEA3030-B341-4AA9-927E-C23425984743.jpeg

D645E981-7C78-4752-B71D-99DEC0E151AF.jpeg

C4F04C39-B41C-49BB-9734-CE2CB522B7CD.jpeg

805323FB-1E7C-4064-9479-EC9522D39B63.jpeg

92E369A2-A2DB-487E-8FC9-15B60DDAA04B.jpeg

44A3C85C-97A3-4796-824C-DC83959F53FD.jpeg

Looks great.

I've been trying to buy land to self build for a couple of years - really tricky to get hold of any.

Good luck with the build!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Looks great.

I've been trying to buy land to self build for a couple of years - really tricky to get hold of any.

Good luck with the build!  

Cheers,I’m in a lucky situation where my mum moved and I got 1/3 of the garden on the cheap and she is letting us have her house on site whilst it’s being built.

2 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Cheers,I’m in a lucky situation where my mum moved and I got 1/3 of the garden on the cheap and she is letting us have her house on site whilst it’s being built.

Blimey. Perfect.

Pre-lockdown was a bit mad here. Developers jumping on anything and everything and the price sky rocketed. 3 years ago you could get a decent sized plot (700m2) for about £250k...earlier this year it was £100k per 100m2. Which makes a self build a bit pointless, economically.

Local council are currently being investigated for dodgy land dealing and inappropriate behaviour leading to the boom (planning person married to a developer), so hopefully things will get back to normal.   

Good luck, mate. Exciting times   :thumbup:   

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Blimey. Perfect.

Pre-lockdown was a bit mad here. Developers jumping on anything and everything and the price sky rocketed. 3 years ago you could get a decent sized plot (700m2) for about £250k...earlier this year it was £100k per 100m2. Which makes a self build a bit pointless, economically.

Local council are currently being investigated for dodgy land dealing and inappropriate behaviour leading to the boom (planning person married to a developer), so hopefully things will get back to normal.   

Good luck, mate. Exciting times   :thumbup:   

That’s appalling.Got just under a 1/3 acre for £80k.Sorry.

It was a no brainer and because of the saving I’m letting the builder sort everything.He has been brilliant.So organised and tells us absolutely everything.

seems too good to be true.

wish you the best of luck in your search.

11 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

That’s appalling.Got just under a 1/3 acre for £80k.Sorry.

It was a no brainer and because of the saving I’m letting the builder sort everything.He has been brilliant.So organised and tells us absolutely everything.

seems too good to be true.

wish you the best of luck in your search.

Haha - a double plot (just under half an acre) here is on for £3 million...so yeah, 80 grand well spent, I'd say :P

Enjoy the journey. 

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 13:25, stix said:

Are you staying local?