Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

Went with a company called Meridian Mortgages. Charges around £120 on completion, however, states that the bank pays them about £999 or something along those lines, so assume she gets some money for setting it up. 

Got us an agreement in principal for up to £190k (first five years fixed at 2.3%) on which should be enough for the houses we're looking at and the deposit we have. Mortgage comes with £500 cashback as well which will be useful to go towards solicitor fees etc. To be honest, for the amount we'll pay seems it isnt too bad. Now just need to find a bastard house. 

15 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Went with a company called Meridian Mortgages. Charges around £120 on completion, however, states that the bank pays them about £999 or something along those lines, so assume she gets some money for setting it up. 

Got us an agreement in principal for up to £190k (first five years fixed at 2.3%) on which should be enough for the houses we're looking at and the deposit we have. Mortgage comes with £500 cashback as well which will be useful to go towards solicitor fees etc. To be honest, for the amount we'll pay seems it isnt too bad. Now just need to find a bastard house. 

What's your deposit if you don't mind me asking?

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What's your deposit if you don't mind me asking?

£20,600

Me and my girlfriend used a Life Time ISA which I felt was a little better to use than the help to buy, as you can put £4k in whenever you like within the year and they'll put the extra £1k in after. 

just as an FYI.

Im not sure how its going in the UK at the moment, but Australia's property bubble has burst, well, more of developed a slow leak, the prices across the country have been falling for about 12 months now, with an average fall of about 5%. Even greater falls in apartment prices.

The market has been growing (booming) for 30+ years, Oz even grew during the GFC, (edit, actually had a sharp drop but immediate recovery during the GFC) but it is collapsing at the moment.

IMHO the boomers who were buying house after house to rent out and profit from are starting to die off and sell, the market will become flooded, the millenials have given up owning and are just waiting to parents hand over the inheritance.

Either way,  A continuing price fall is good news and hopefully will be coming to the UK as well.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had an offer accepted on a house we wanted. Had to offer 205 for 3 bed semi in Braunstone Town, off Kingsway. Was being marketed at 210. Made an offer at 195 but they were going to accept an offer off someone else, mrs really wanted it so figured no point waiting for another house we like and offered 205 and has been accepted. Solicitors we've gone with is from My Home Move. Fees in total is about £1k although we have a 40 quid off reference from her mum. My Parents used the company when they moved and they seemed fine so hopefully it doesn't take too much dicking about. 

Didn't think we'd be moving on this fast, nor picking the first house we looked at but suppose its fate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Had an offer accepted on a house we wanted. Had to offer 205 for 3 bed semi in Braunstone Town, off Kingsway. Was being marketed at 210. Made an offer at 195 but they were going to accept an offer off someone else, mrs really wanted it so figured no point waiting for another house we like and offered 205 and has been accepted. Solicitors we've gone with is from My Home Move. Fees in total is about £1k although we have a 40 quid off reference from her mum. My Parents used the company when they moved and they seemed fine so hopefully it doesn't take too much dicking about. 

Didn't think we'd be moving on this fast, nor picking the first house we looked at but suppose its fate. 

Congratulations :cheers:

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 03:20, ozleicester said:

just as an FYI.

Im not sure how its going in the UK at the moment, but Australia's property bubble has burst, well, more of developed a slow leak, the prices across the country have been falling for about 12 months now, with an average fall of about 5%. Even greater falls in apartment prices.

The market has been growing (booming) for 30+ years, Oz even grew during the GFC, (edit, actually had a sharp drop but immediate recovery during the GFC) but it is collapsing at the moment.

IMHO the boomers who were buying house after house to rent out and profit from are starting to die off and sell, the market will become flooded, the millenials have given up owning and are just waiting to parents hand over the inheritance.

Either way,  A continuing price fall is good news and hopefully will be coming to the UK as well.

How have rent prices been affected by that?

Just randomly decided over the weekend that we might want to move house so off to look at a couple in Knighton/Clarendon Park way. Kind of hoping they are the pits because I really like my house and where I live at the minute but sensing an opportunity to maybe make a bit of cash.

On 28/03/2019 at 03:20, ozleicester said:

just as an FYI.

Unfortunately I doubt it.

Got a friend from London who wants to invest in a newly built 2 bedroom properly in Leicester.

I've guided him to couple of estate agents we've used in the past but out of interest, anyone know of any new builds closer to town?

There's a couple of student developments that spring to mind but I'm not sure the high maintenance of a student property would be worth it!

5 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Got a friend from London who wants to invest in a newly built 2 bedroom properly in Leicester.

I've guided him to couple of estate agents we've used in the past but out of interest, anyone know of any new builds closer to town?

There's a couple of student developments that spring to mind but I'm not sure the high maintenance of a student property would be worth it!

There's a Bloor Homes one going up in Oadby at the moment, next to the golf course. From driving past occasionally they look more like 3/4 bed, but there may be a few 2 beds in there. 

• 1 month later...

Looking at putting my house on the market…

i thought about purple bricks as I’m happy to do viewings and manage many aspects of it, but, what’s In It for them to get me the best market price?  Sooner I’m sold (at whatever price) the sooner they don’t have to pay for advertising 

spoke Oliver Rayns and he’s come up with 1% - a huge chunk more the PB…. However I’ve said sell my house for x and it’s worth 1%…. Sell it for Y and it’s worth 1/2%…. And the scale reduces commensurately between the two positions…

Does this sound reasonable as a deal?  I want them to worry about every penny on my behalf…

Any strong recommendations on estate agents?  I live in Bushby currently but looking to move back home to Clarendon Park…

13 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Looking at putting my house on the market…

i thought about purple bricks as I’m happy to do viewings and manage many aspects of it, but, what’s In It for them to get me the best market price?  Sooner I’m sold (at whatever price) the sooner they don’t have to pay for advertising 

spoke Oliver Rayns and he’s come up with 1% - a huge chunk more the PB…. However I’ve said sell my house for x and it’s worth 1%…. Sell it for Y and it’s worth 1/2%…. And the scale reduces commensurately between the two positions…

Does this sound reasonable as a deal?  I want them to worry about every penny on my behalf…

Any strong recommendations on estate agents?  I live in Bushby currently but looking to move back home to Clarendon Park…

My advice would be to get a really good idea of what your place is worth through past sales in the area/demand for your house type and go with purple bricks.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

My advice would be to get a really good idea of what your place is worth through past sales in the area/demand for your house type and go with purple bricks.

Yeah…. Good point…. My place is really tricky to value (had a huge variance in valuations)

A good estate can squeeze it if there is something in it for them…

i hate the idea of commisory though!

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Yeah…. Good point…. My place is really tricky to value (had a huge variance in valuations)

They can squeeze it but they can also push people away. My sister put an offer in for a place and they never got back to her, completely ignored, and then 6 months later they sold it for 10k less than her offer so it goes both ways.

When I sell mine I’ll use PB for sure because a few identical houses on my estate have sold so I will know how much to ask for and what I’m willing to go down to.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Good estate Agents do more than just answer the phone and take pictures for right move. They will pressure the buyer into moving quickly or offering an acceptable price, I think they are an overlooked part of the process. Purple bricks are in dire financial straits at the moment too