Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

I concur on the oddities, when one of our mates sold their flat a couple of years ago someone viewed the flat three times; once by themselves, once with a friend and once with their mum. It was a first time buyer and I know you worry about getting ripped off but three times is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Jesus some of these viewers piss me off. We had a couple view who said they love the flat, but are put off by the fact there is only one allocated parking space. We had this same issue the last time we listed, please show me a flat where you get 2 allocated parking spaces FFS. There are plenty of visitor spaces if you need 2 cars.

Now had a guy wanting to view for Weds, we said we couldn't as my wife is still WFH and has a really important all day video conference with new clients. So now he's just said he will not be viewing the flat at all then. He must have been really interested lol. Why are these people viewing properties with the virus still around if they're just not serious?

Ask your agent to tell them that you have had 2 cars for the whole time you lived their and never not been able to park.  Little things like this can convince people :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I don't think it's that ridiculous to be honest. It's a big thing as a first time buyer. I am possibly being a bit defensive here as I think I viewed the first place I bought three times...!!  First time was on my own, second time I took an older friend for a second opinion, third time I had committed to buy and just wanted another look to visualise the space ahead of ordering furniture as I literally didn't have anything of my own furniture wise. 

Crazy person. 

I viewed 2 houses with my missus the first day we were looking, rang the first guy up and said how much, 5k less than asking. Deal. Shook his hand. 

Don't get what the fuss is about. lol

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I concur on the oddities, when one of our mates sold their flat a couple of years ago someone viewed the flat three times; once by themselves, once with a friend and once with their mum. It was a first time buyer and I know you worry about getting ripped off but three times is ridiculous.

Got to disagree there, don't see any issue. I'd let someone view mine 10 times if they were actually serious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Crazy person. 

I viewed 2 houses with my missus the first day we were looking, rang the first guy up and said how much, 5k less than asking. Deal. Shook his hand. 

Don't get what the fuss is about. lol

Haha - I bet you spend longer deciding on which new pair of trainers to get...:D

To be fair, it's easier making that decision if there's two of you. First time buyer on your own making that decision is a bit intense, and the place I bought needed a whole new bathroom, central heating system, fireplace and redecorating from top to bottom, so i needed a bit of a confidence boost that I could take it on all by myself. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

There are some right comedians out there.

Two that I remember from when we moved from Oadby to Leicester:

- Couple did a viewing, very enthusiastic about how they loved the place. They called the estate agent next day to verbally offer the asking price and made an appointment to come in and sort out paperwork. Simply didn't turn up for the appointment, made no contact and didn't answer calls. When the estate agent finally got hold of them, they explained that they'd decided that they wanted to carry on renting instead.

- Next-door neighbour's near-identical house had been on market for £20k more than our asking price about a year earlier but had been taken off market. They then arranged a viewing of our place, explaining that they wanted to move parents in next door, which sounded reasonable. After the visit, they contacted the estate agent and offered £50k less than our asking price (and didn't increase it when we rejected the offer)....so they'd put their house on sale for about £165k and then a year later, when prices had risen slightly, they offered £95k for our near-identical house. :dunno:

The first scenario, it's the same as people who think by just ignoring a problem it will go away, that's how people get into debt etc.

The second one is very strange though, weirdos!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Got to disagree there, don't see any issue. I'd let someone view mine 10 times if they were actually serious.

'If they were actually serious' is the important bit. Waste of your time if someone views 9 times and then decides 'nah, not for me'. Just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I don't think it's that ridiculous to be honest. It's a big thing as a first time buyer. I am possibly being a bit defensive here as I think I viewed the first place I bought three times...!!  First time was on my own, second time I took an older friend for a second opinion, third time I had committed to buy and just wanted another look to visualise the space ahead of ordering furniture as I literally didn't have anything of my own furniture wise. 

I dont just see what benefit comes from after a third time of viewing, surely you can visualise cosmetics when you view the first time no? Thats kind of one of the points of taking a first viewing of a house in my opinion though I guess if viewing 3 was after the agremeent to buy/accepted offer but before the exchange then thats fair enough.

Went back on the market yesterday with our investor buyer being cautious and wanting to wait. Got a viewing today and one on Saturday from first-time buyers. Hoping it goes well!

Lodged another offer on a house which will be competitive, but hopefully good news from either of these viewings will do well. Having had to go back to the drawing board after being on the cliff-edge of completing everything only a few weeks ago, I'm hoping this goes smoother!

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I dont just see what benefit comes from after a third time of viewing, surely you can visualise cosmetics when you view the first time no? Thats kind of one of the points of taking a first viewing of a house in my opinion though I guess if viewing 3 was after the agremeent to buy/accepted offer but before the exchange then thats fair enough.

Unfortunately I don't have a photographic memory, so no! The place we have now we viewed the twice - put in an offer after the first viewing, and second viewing to think about things like where we would arrange furniture in the house, which was info the removal company wanted from us. However, when it comes to being a first time buyer I think it's sensible to take your time over these decisions - for the first time in your life you are committing to a six figure purchase which you are going to be paying back for the next 25 years plus. 

9 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Went back on the market yesterday with our investor buyer being cautious and wanting to wait. Got a viewing today and one on Saturday from first-time buyers. Hoping it goes well!

Lodged another offer on a house which will be competitive, but hopefully good news from either of these viewings will do well. Having had to go back to the drawing board after being on the cliff-edge of completing everything only a few weeks ago, I'm hoping this goes smoother!

Fingers crossed for you!

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Personally I think they should do something similar to when you're buying a car and you can take it for a test drive.

You should be allowed to live in the house for a week before you buy it. That way you'll know about noise, neighbours, parking, commute, etc.

Can't see any problems with that at all :frantics:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Personally I think they should do something similar to when you're buying a car and you can take it for a test drive.

You should be allowed to live in the house for a week before you buy it. That way you'll know about noise, neighbours, parking, commute, etc.

Can't see any problems with that at all :frantics:

Great idea, do it for 52 weeks in 52 different houses and live rent/mortgage free. Might even consider house hunting in Spain for a week this summer and Germany for a week around Christmas market time.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Jesus some of these viewers piss me off. We had a couple view who said they love the flat, but are put off by the fact there is only one allocated parking space. We had this same issue the last time we listed, please show me a flat where you get 2 allocated parking spaces FFS. There are plenty of visitor spaces if you need 2 cars.

Now had a guy wanting to view for Weds, we said we couldn't as my wife is still WFH and has a really important all day video conference with new clients. So now he's just said he will not be viewing the flat at all then. He must have been really interested lol. Why are these people viewing properties with the virus still around if they're just not serious?

Selling up can be a nightmare but just stay patient and you'll be alright

When selling my house last year in Birstall it was just about the cheapest semi in the village. I had feedback like "too small", "needs a bigger bathroom" and the best was "found a same size house just around the corner for £25k less so not buying"

£25k less? Wow I thought maybe I was somehow asking too much. Did a quick look and realised the cvnt meant Mowmacre Hill lol

https://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?county=leics&startmonth=03&startyear=2015&endmonth=03&endyear=2020

I thought this was pretty interesting to look at. You can mess about with the months and years and look at how house prices has risen on average. Sometimes I think staying where I am and saving another 10-15k is a good idea, but then on the other hand you risk prices going up a few percent anyway (although this year is obviously a bit different).

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

No views on flat in 2 weeks now. Looking at the area our place is nicer than almost everything else comparatively priced. Do you think it's to do with the 5 and 10% mortgages not being offered right now?

Probably if you're property if typical of a first time buyer. I think people are just scared to move at the minute too, they could be out of a job in a few weeks time.

I've been looking daily at the new houses coming onto the market, and there's been nothing in 2 weeks in the areas I want to live, so it's definitely slowed down.

Had a few viewings now, hoping for offers soon. Location of the house is such a plus and it's in good nick. Just hope it catches the eye of the right person eventually.

We feel we're in a funny price bracket at the minute in terms of buying. The two houses we've put bids in on have been turned down due to people in better positions (plus one cash buyer which you just can't compete with) which is fair enough. The interest on both has been crazy. One had ten viewings and multiple offers, the other had eight viewings and multiple offers. Meanwhile houses just out of our price range that look amazing continue to sit on the market, untouched. We'll get there though!

Just want people's two pennies worth on this house, too, in Kirby Muxloe. I'm not interested in buying it but I'm intrigued as to people's opinions. It's been on the market since August last year at this price and it's kept popping up on search results over the last few months, so am sort of invested in its outcome now. They've just listed with a new agent. Do people think this is wildly overpriced or is it worth it? Gotta be some reason it hasn't shifted in nearly a year on the market?

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Had a few viewings now, hoping for offers soon. Location of the house is such a plus and it's in good nick. Just hope it catches the eye of the right person eventually.

We feel we're in a funny price bracket at the minute in terms of buying. The two houses we've put bids in on have been turned down due to people in better positions (plus one cash buyer which you just can't compete with) which is fair enough. The interest on both has been crazy. One had ten viewings and multiple offers, the other had eight viewings and multiple offers. Meanwhile houses just out of our price range that look amazing continue to sit on the market, untouched. We'll get there though!

Just want people's two pennies worth on this house, too, in Kirby Muxloe. I'm not interested in buying it but I'm intrigued as to people's opinions. It's been on the market since August last year at this price and it's kept popping up on search results over the last few months, so am sort of invested in its outcome now. They've just listed with a new agent. Do people think this is wildly overpriced or is it worth it? Gotta be some reason it hasn't shifted in nearly a year on the market?

The reason it hasn't shifted may not just be price...it looks a bit of a nightmare house to actually live in!

Nicely finished, but the layout is a bit off kilter - will only appeal to a fairly narrow market, I suppose.

Agree with the bit about certain properties shifting and some staying on for ever - bit weird. We had a nibble at one last week, phoned the agent who said it had been live on Rightmove for 2 hours and we were the 18th call...and they had one full price offer without viewing it. :blink:

It'll happen for you mate - just need to be in a good position, patient and a bit lucky!

1 minute ago, Milo said:

The reason it hasn't shifted may not just be price...it looks a bit of a nightmare house to actually live in!

Nicely finished, but the layout is a bit off kilter - will only appeal to a fairly narrow market, I suppose.

Agree with the bit about certain properties shifting and some staying on for ever - bit weird. We had a nibble at one last week, phoned the agent who said it had been live on Rightmove for 2 hours and we were the 18th call...and they had one full price offer without viewing it. :blink:

It'll happen for you mate - just need to be in a good position, patient and a bit lucky!

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just wanted someone to back my opinion up haha! The hallway is long, and they've been very cheeky to list the living room as a fourth bedroom. Two sort of gardens. It's just interested me as they've been so stout on the price, but it was a complete rebuild so I guess they know the profit they want to make on it.

18 calls is mad, and I always get genuinely nosey about people's situations. For instance, how desperate was the person offering without viewing? Or is that standard tactic if you really want somewhere to show intent (guess agents are wise to that anyway.)

Luck, when you're a chain, I think definitely plays a part, needing everything and everyone to align. Bloody hard work.

9 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just wanted someone to back my opinion up haha! The hallway is long, and they've been very cheeky to list the living room as a fourth bedroom. Two sort of gardens. It's just interested me as they've been so stout on the price, but it was a complete rebuild so I guess they know the profit they want to make on it.

18 calls is mad, and I always get genuinely nosey about people's situations. For instance, how desperate was the person offering without viewing? Or is that standard tactic if you really want somewhere to show intent (guess agents are wise to that anyway.)

Luck, when you're a chain, I think definitely plays a part, needing everything and everyone to align. Bloody hard work.

Probably developers. 

They would offer full asking in cash to either develop it, or just to get it off the market until they can have a think what to do with it.

Pointless even competing 

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I think maybe it's just a bit too quirky for some people, it's certainly not to my taste and if I had that budget I could buy something much more homely and liveable. It's too blokey for me 😊 I much prefer this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70463781.html

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

The owners of that gaff have obviously spent a lot of money doing it up, likely over a couple of years and unfortunately they aren't getting what they thought their investment would.

I mean it all looks brand new, and they've rendered/re-clad the whole thing. That generally isn't going to add much in value, especially when the ratio of the surface area to the available space is as high as it will be on this with the strange layout. And also it'll be an expensive house to run with an EPC rating of E which again, comes back to the layout.