Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

49 minutes ago, Sly said:

We’ve been waiting to see a David Wilson’s Showhome, to work out what it feels like in terms of space.

They’re unwilling to let us in. Apparently I can only have a virtual viewing via FaceTime. 

I ain’t being funny, if I’m spending £600k, I’m not buying it because Trish showed me the cupboards via a virtual tour! 

Definitely not! The number of houses I thought looked perfect online, and the second you walk through the door you know it’s not... 

2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Definitely not! The number of houses I thought looked perfect online, and the second you walk through the door you know it’s not... 

God I've had experience of this. Student agencies post perfectly nice looking houses online and you visit them to see walls covered in mould they conveniently hid 

19 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

God I've had experience of this. Student agencies post perfectly nice looking houses online and you visit them to see walls covered in mould they conveniently hid 

Indeed! The worst example I saw the students had taken the mattress off the bed, then put their bed against the wall to try and block our some of the damp. Grim!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Indeed! The worst example I saw the students had taken the mattress off the bed, then put their bed against the wall to try and block our some of the damp. Grim!

I've seen some absolute beauties lol That does sum up most of the houses I visited though!

To be fair, I took the attitude towards me that they didn’t want to sell me a house, or couldn’t be arsed to clean the house down afterwards. 

If it’s this difficult to view one, how difficult will be to sort any issues out.

Other builders have let us in to view stuff! 

David Wilson are overpriced.  Mind you, so are most new builds, but in particular David Wilson.  One quick look at the company accounts will tell you that.

When they only throw in plastic coated towel rails instead of chrome and bog standard symphony kitchen units instead of something more robust, it's easy to spot where they cut corners.

Bedroom designs are clever though for storage if you're willing to pay extra for the fitted cupboards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgefox said:

House starting to take shape.

Trusses up for dormer and kitchen 

EA0419A6-8961-4C62-87EF-45524DB7B8C1.jpeg

B5D8B2D2-21D3-43DB-99B7-15623DFF487C.jpeg

You’re a lucky boy mate. You’ve obviously earned it. Good arrows! Looks like it’s gonna be an incredible. I can’t wait to see the end result. 

3 minutes ago, stix said:

You’re a lucky boy mate. You’ve obviously earned it. Good arrows! Looks like it’s gonna be an incredible. I can’t wait to see the end result. 

Cheers bud,I’ve just had an amazing amount of luck with the land as I have previously mentioned it was part of my mums garden before she moved and  just under a 1/3 acre for 80k build 240k plus kitchen for 2300sq ft because of my house sale my mortgage is only going to be £120k.It was a no brainer when you get an opportunity like that.

I really do appreciate my luck rather than earning it.

wishing you all the best with your upcoming move,I know how traumatic selling can be,we got nicked about a few times with our chain and it wasn’t even a large one.

• Like 2

Need to vent.

Been priced out of a self build due to mad land prices, so now looking for a normal house sale - preferably a do-er upper. 

One just came on today that looked good - phoned the agent...28 enquiries in 2 hours of going live and sold for full asking price without a viewing.

What the absolute fvck. :(

Small plot of land came up for sale recently as well...0.15 of an acre (600m2) bargain at only £800,000. Eight hundred grand just for an average sized plot of land...before any build costs. I though the market was in mad decline and it was all doom and gloom.

Great to see @cambridgefox going ahead with a self build  - looks fab. By the way - I'm sure you've read all of David Snells words of wisdom and been to the self build exhibitions, and you're on top of MVHR units, SIPS panels v ICF, etc but I hope you've made the most important design decision you'll ever make and allowed for 2 dishwashers in your new kitchen. If you haven't, then lose a cupboard and stick an additional dishwasher in. Trust me...best decision ever made - you won't believe how you managed with just one for all those years :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the construction progress...(and the FT house party invite)!

Anyway, back to swearing at Zoopla for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Milo said:

Need to vent.

Been priced out of a self build due to mad land prices, so now looking for a normal house sale - preferably a do-er upper. 

One just came on today that looked good - phoned the agent...28 enquiries in 2 hours of going live and sold for full asking price without a viewing.

What the absolute fvck. :(

Small plot of land came up for sale recently as well...0.15 of an acre (600m2) bargain at only £800,000. Eight hundred grand just for an average sized plot of land...before any build costs. I though the market was in mad decline and it was all doom and gloom.

Great to see @cambridgefox going ahead with a self build  - looks fab. By the way - I'm sure you've read all of David Snells words of wisdom and been to the self build exhibitions, and you're on top of MVHR units, SIPS panels v ICF, etc but I hope you've made the most important design decision you'll ever make and allowed for 2 dishwashers in your new kitchen. If you haven't, then lose a cupboard and stick an additional dishwasher in. Trust me...best decision ever made - you won't believe how you managed with just one for all those years :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the construction progress...(and the FT house party invite)!

Anyway, back to swearing at Zoopla for me.

800K for land.Bloody hell.

Went to a self build show in Peterborough last year,very interesting.The guy with MVHR said our brick construction wasn’t ideal for a unit,however we are going with water softeners,rainwater harvesters.underfloor and have been to a German kitchen showroom this morning and the wife is insisting on lots of cupboards.Kitchen is 9mx 4.5m with a utility.Just mentioned 2 dishwashers and she seems to think it’s a good idea 🤞

Very best of luck to you finding your house.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 10:56, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can see there being a lot of houses available, like you say divorce and unfortunately deaths of people where the family haven't had a chance to sell the house. Equally though, people divorcing will need two houses rather than one, which probably puts them into competing with first time buyers.

Still don't think we'll see anything major happen until the furlough scheme comes to a close and unemployment rises.

How much deposit did people put down on their first house? I mean percentage wise not a figure. I'm currently sat on about 16-18% (depending on my property budget obviously), but I'm buying alone and not with anyone, so it may be slightly different. Should hopefully be up to around 20% in 8-12 weeks.

I put down 10% on my first property  (September 2018) and I'm now moving on to my next property. All depends on your strategy I suppose. I'd suggest seeing a mortgage advisor and if you need one then let me know and I'll point you in the right direction - big city fan an all and the only thing he asks from you is to take out life insurance through him 💪 if as you say you've got 18% or so, maybe consider putting 10% down and keeping some funds aside to improve the property or keep saving towards an upgrade further down the line. The biggest thing is getting on to the ladder to begin with.

2 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

800K for land.Bloody hell.

Went to a self build show in Peterborough last year,very interesting.The guy with MVHR said our brick construction wasn’t ideal for a unit,however we are going with water softeners,rainwater harvesters.underfloor and have been to a German kitchen showroom this morning and the wife is insisting on lots of cupboards.Kitchen is 9mx 4.5m with a utility.Just mentioned 2 dishwashers and she seems to think it’s a good idea 🤞

Very best of luck to you finding your house.

Bit of an odd thing to say imo, especially if you're plastering those blockwork walls. What company did you speak to?

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Bit of an odd thing to say imo, especially if you're plastering those blockwork walls. What company did you speak to?

Can’t remember tbh I spoke to so many different people.We thought so aswell,it seemed he was in cahoots with the Potton style homes people.

8 hours ago, Milo said:

@cambridgefox but I hope you've made the most important design decision you'll ever make and allowed for 2 dishwashers in your new kitchen. If you haven't, then lose a cupboard and stick an additional dishwasher in. Trust me...best decision ever made - you won't believe how you managed with just one for all those years :thumbup:

Won't the other dishwasher get jelous?

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Not heard anything from the agent after the 2 viewings on our flat today, a bad sign I guess.

Any consolation the people who bought our house didn’t let the Estate Agent know for weeks.

Really weird thing is they never visited it again,their buyer pulled out and we put it on the market again and they still bought it,again without looking for a second time.

Good luck.

Thinking of sprucing up my pleasant but fairly dull house.

Can anyone recommend a decent interior designer in Leics?

How does it work with IDs? Do they walk around, make notes and then send you info about each room, what they think needs doing, how much it would cost, how long it would take etc? Do they mock up how it might look?

12 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

How does it work with IDs? Do they walk around, make notes and then send you info about each room, what they think needs doing, how much it would cost, how long it would take etc? Do they mock up how it might look?

Mate, it would be cheaper to get married and let your new wife sort it out :)

• Haha 4

On 07/06/2020 at 13:23, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Where in the county do you live?

Jesus some of these viewers piss me off. We had a couple view who said they love the flat, but are put off by the fact there is only one allocated parking space. We had this same issue the last time we listed, please show me a flat where you get 2 allocated parking spaces FFS. There are plenty of visitor spaces if you need 2 cars.

Now had a guy wanting to view for Weds, we said we couldn't as my wife is still WFH and has a really important all day video conference with new clients. So now he's just said he will not be viewing the flat at all then. He must have been really interested lol. Why are these people viewing properties with the virus still around if they're just not serious?

6 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Jesus some of these viewers piss me off. We had a couple view who said they love the flat, but are put off by the fact there is only one allocated parking space. We had this same issue the last time we listed, please show me a flat where you get 2 allocated parking spaces FFS. There are plenty of visitor spaces if you need 2 cars.

Now had a guy wanting to view for Weds, we said we couldn't as my wife is still WFH and has a really important all day video conference with new clients. So now he's just said he will not be viewing the flat at all then. He must have been really interested lol. Why are these people viewing properties with the virus still around if they're just not serious?

There are some right comedians out there.

Two that I remember from when we moved from Oadby to Leicester:

- Couple did a viewing, very enthusiastic about how they loved the place. They called the estate agent next day to verbally offer the asking price and made an appointment to come in and sort out paperwork. Simply didn't turn up for the appointment, made no contact and didn't answer calls. When the estate agent finally got hold of them, they explained that they'd decided that they wanted to carry on renting instead.

- Next-door neighbour's near-identical house had been on market for £20k more than our asking price about a year earlier but had been taken off market. They then arranged a viewing of our place, explaining that they wanted to move parents in next door, which sounded reasonable. After the visit, they contacted the estate agent and offered £50k less than our asking price (and didn't increase it when we rejected the offer)....so they'd put their house on sale for about £165k and then a year later, when prices had risen slightly, they offered £95k for our near-identical house. :dunno: