Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Yeah…. Good point…. My place is really tricky to value (had a huge variance in valuations)

A good estate can squeeze it if there is something in it for them…

i hate the idea of commisory though!

There is an agent in Melton which charges £399 flat fee. I used them a few years ago. The company is run by two ladies and they were brilliant. Answered calls day, night, weekend, bank holiday etc. They gave us good feedback on our sale and didn't push us to accepting a lower offer. So you don't have to pay a big chunk of commission. I assume there must be agents operating on this model elsewhere.

10 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Good estate Agents do more than just answer the phone and take pictures for right move. They will pressure the buyer into moving quickly or offering an acceptable price, I think they are an overlooked part of the process. Purple bricks are in dire financial straits at the moment too 

Yeah…. I’ve heard they’re in a bit of bother…. They’ve grown quite quickly and have 17% of the market, so, I suspect they’ll muddle through…. I want a motivated estate agent who wants to sell at a high price…

10 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

There is an agent in Melton which charges £399 flat fee. I used them a few years ago. The company is run by two ladies and they were brilliant. Answered calls day, night, weekend, bank holiday etc. They gave us good feedback on our sale and didn't push us to accepting a lower offer. So you don't have to pay a big chunk of commission. I assume there must be agents operating on this model elsewhere.

That’s amazingly cheap

Anyone heard of a good and reasonably priced one in Leicester…. I’m trying to gauge what I should part with!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Yeah…. I’ve heard they’re in a bit of bother…. They’ve grown quite quickly and have 17% of the market, so, I suspect they’ll muddle through…. I want a motivated estate agent who wants to sell at a high price…

That’s amazingly cheap

Anyone heard of a good and reasonably priced one in Leicester…. I’m trying to gauge what I should part with!

We rate Carlton's in Narborough. Always pleasant and professional with good advice. We find pricing your home to be difficult and subjective and is for you to decide based upon sound advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

That’s amazingly cheap

https://www.meltonpremier.co.uk

I think they cover Leicester as well

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2019 at 09:19, Wolfox said:

That’s amazingly cheap

I think Independents tend to be better, as it’s their own business, so have to be more bothered than a multiple.

Just get three quotes, then choose the one you want to go with and ask them to match the lowest price you were offered.

The price you sell at isn’t anything to do with them, it’s your choice, so it’s irrelevant what figures they come out with.

Its not hard to value your house, just look on Rightmove and you will see similar (unless it’s a unique house) so you should have an idea what to sell it at. If there isn’t any like it in the area, you can add a bit on , but if there are loads similar, you will have to have a point of difference to get it noticed. 

If an an estate agent uses Rightmove, then you will be fine. Most people buy using this format, so that is the window you need to be seen in. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

I think Independents tend to be better, as it’s their own business, so have to be more bothered than a multiple.

Just get three quotes, then choose the one you want to go with and ask them to match the lowest price you were offered.

The price you sell at isn’t anything to do with them, it’s your choice, so it’s irrelevant what figures they come out with.

Its not hard to value your house, just look on Rightmove and you will see similar (unless it’s a unique house) so you should have an idea what to sell it at. If there isn’t any like it in the area, you can add a bit on , but if there are loads similar, you will have to have a point of difference to get it noticed. 

If an an estate agent uses Rightmove, then you will be fine. Most people buy using this format, so that is the window you need to be seen in. 

Thanks

So why pay for bricks and mortar?

i am a bit conflicted to be honest…. The range of valuations were huge and because mine is finished well and has very nice country views it adds some kind of premium I would have thought…. I’m just not sure how much!  I have a gut feeling if it’s market position but I’d rather be optimistic rather than undersell it…

anyway…. Still on the hunt for a good local

Oliver Rayns came across well and will likely get James Sellicks in…

we’ll see! 

New build houses skew the market.  It's crazy what even a 3 bed semi is on at around here just because a 3 bed detached new build is circa 295k.  Hence, everyone tries it on and the inevitable happens when the majority of these prices come down with a couple of months on rightmove.  

Edited by Legend_in_blue

41 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Thanks

So why pay for bricks and mortar?

i am a bit conflicted to be honest…. The range of valuations were huge and because mine is finished well and has very nice country views it adds some kind of premium I would have thought…. I’m just not sure how much!  I have a gut feeling if it’s market position but I’d rather be optimistic rather than undersell it…

anyway…. Still on the hunt for a good local

Oliver Rayns came across well and will likely get James Sellicks in…

we’ll see! 

Get your house on here first, we'll appraise it for you. You might even sell it....

57 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Get your house on here first, we'll appraise it for you. You might even sell it....

If you’re in the market for a nice house in east Leicestershire drop me a PM people!

Marketing via FoxesTalk…. Now that’s a novel idea!

Just guidance on good estate agents is what I’m after at the moment!

just as an aside, i did a bit of a search on some of my previous houses and recent sales...

First house i bought 1984 - cost $42,500 - Sold in 1990 for $55,000 - currently selling for =  $200,000

next house I bought/built 1990 cost $64,000, sold in 1997 for $77,000 - current estimate =  $210,000

next house bought 1997 cost $64,500, sold in 2002 for $184,000 - current estimate =  $310,000

next house i bought 2003 cost $200,000, sold in 2005 for $220,000 - current estimate =  $395,000

Just imagine the cost of all the stamp duties and agent fees... unbelievable... not to mention the other 2 houses ive bought/sold since moving to WA.

• 3 weeks later...

Had an estate agent round last night and came up with a price that was.similar to what we thought. The bloke said they offer a walk through video tour. He showed us one they'd  done and it did look very good but it would cost around  £400. I'm leaning towards thinking this would be a waste of money but the missus thinks it would help. 

It's not even on the market and it's already doing my head in ?

6 minutes ago, Soup said:

Had an estate agent round last night and came up with a price that was.similar to what we thought. The bloke said they offer a walk through video tour. He showed us one they'd  done and it did look very good but it would cost around  £400. I'm leaning towards thinking this would be a waste of money but the missus thinks it would help. 

£400! On top of the 1-1.5% of the purchase price? Meanwhile people complain about solicitor fees at £600/700 :ph34r:.  

3 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

£400! On top of the 1-1.5% of the purchase price? Meanwhile people complain about solicitor fees at £600/700 :ph34r:.  

Yep! 1.25% plus the video. It's mad really. Sold a house privately once and it was pretty easy but I've no time atm so need an agent. 

8 minutes ago, Soup said:

Yep! 1.25% plus the video. It's mad really. Sold a house privately once and it was pretty easy but I've no time atm so need an agent. 

That's crazy, you could get a cheap wedding photographer to do it for that! Totally understand why the agents are necessary when you haven't got the time to advertise it yourself, but I would love to know what they do that justifies their final fee. I guess part of it is that they don't get paid unless it completes, unlike most solicitors, search providers, surveyors etc. Not that I have an agenda against numerous ones from my time in property law or anything.  

3 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

That's crazy, you could get a cheap wedding photographer to do it for that! Totally understand why the agents are necessary when you haven't got the time to advertise it yourself, but I would love to know what they do that justifies their final fee. I guess part of it is that they don't get paid unless it completes, unlike most solicitors, search providers, surveyors etc. Not that I have an agenda against numerous ones from my time in property law or anything.  

I've thought the same thing for a long time. We've bought and sold with numerous agents throughout the city and not been overly impressed by any of them. In fact after you've agreed a sale with a buyer they do zero in my experience They don't liaise with the solicitor and we end up chasing things.

However this agent did employ.about 15+ people in various roles and I guess they all need paying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

A good agent will lie, cheat and steal on your behalf and back the seller/buyer into a corner with fear tactics. 'no this is their final offer, you have to accept it now, the market is dead....' Etc etc. They will hurry the process along. The sellers agent on my house told me I had to exchange a week earlier than agreed otherwise the seller would drop out. I could see how that blatant lie could panic many people if buying their 'Dream' house. But likewise I discovered the agent told the seller my first offer was final and I already had two offers accepted. Total lie, but worked in my favour

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soup said:

And don't forget the VAT on top of the 1.25% which they usually fail to mention until you get the invoice....

51 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

And don't forget the VAT on top of the 1.25% which they usually fail to mention until you get the invoice....

With so.much going on with it all I didn't even think about the VAT.

11 hours ago, Soup said:

Those videos are shite normally just the photos on a video. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otis said:

There's plenty of agents who would be happy with 1% so negotiate down or bin them.

Don't pay anymore than 1%  with VAT is 1.2%

1.25% with VAT is 1.5%

Good point. The agents are there to be heavily negotiated with. Best if you play 2 or 3 off against each other. 'haart offered me 1.1%, so if you offer me 1% and a free video I'll go with you now...'

• 5 weeks later...

Dilemma time.

We've lived in this house nearly 20 years but it's just too small now that the kids are growing up.

Plan was always to pay the mortgage off in 10 years (at 55) then kick the kids out and cruise to retirement.

But we desperately need more space and have done as much as we can with this pad. The thought of moving to a bigger house with a bigger mortgage that I'll be paying til I'm 70 fills me with dread.

Such a difficult decision.