Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

1 hour ago, Flamey said:

For your thr I assume? How are you getting on with it??🤔

Oh yes. Being bothered by leads is such a first world problem, but going wireless means that just picking up and playing is that bit less of a faff so I find myself doing it more.

As for the THR itself....finding the 'Open' cab setting means it sounds more like what I want - more, erm, open. The range of sounds remains bewildering, although I seem to be better at getting the tones I want.

The only slightly disappointing thing is that when I download other folks' tones they sound nothing like they're supposed to, presumably because of different guitars, pickups etc being used

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh yes. Being bothered by leads is such a first world problem, but going wireless means that just picking up and playing is that bit less of a faff so I find myself doing it more.

As for the THR itself....finding the 'Open' cab setting means it sounds more like what I want - more, erm, open. The range of sounds remains bewildering, although I seem to be better at getting the tones I want.

The only slightly disappointing thing is that when I download other folks' tones they sound nothing like they're supposed to, presumably because of different guitars, pickups etc being used

I agree about the lead scenario, it may be a first world problem...but its bloody convenientIt means I can practice on the sofa without trailing cables..which is a huge plus with a 40kg half blind old labrador stumbling around👍

I still haven't got round to updating the amp for the open cab, but will give it a go.

As for other user tones....yes ..different  guitars and different ears I guess!

• 2 months later...

I tell you what, some belting guitar tuition videos have appeared on YouTube in the last year or two.

Learned how to play 'Nowhere Fast' by The Smiths the other night in no time at all, having been struggling with it for best part of 20 years.

And from the sublime to the ridiculous, I've just learned how to play 'Freedom' by Wham having persuaded Jason Read, who posts loads of guitar lessons, to do a tutorial for it

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Had a go on my brother's new Strat yesterday. Of course I want one now. Sounded ace

Nice, I avoided them a for a long time (misplaced guitar snobbery on my part unfortunately 😔), but I bought a performer series about 2 years ago and it's my go to guitar now. What series is your brothers?

It was an American Performer, brand new.

Surf green, which wouldn't be my choice but still looks pretty cool with the big 70s style headstock and the matt finish was a bit different too.

The way it played wasn't revelatory (neck profile etc much the same as my Teles), it was the sound that grabbed me. It had two single coils and a humbucker, so really versatile. It's that sort of metallic jangle I like

I had a Strat at one stage - 50th Anniversary American. Imported it from the US in the earlyish days of Ebay popularity for about £500 if I remember correctly. It was a lovely guitar but it didn't really suit the band I was in at the time - the pickups weren't high enough output. 

When I first moved to London I was working for free and living on a friend's sofa and I was forced to sell it to pay him a bit of rent and be able to eat. Parted with it in a pub after advertising it on Gumtree for about £800 I think. Desperate times, man. That guy got a great deal. :nono:

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.35d32fcdefbd296044c091631711fbc7.JPG

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It was an American Performer, brand new.

Surf green, which wouldn't be my choice but still looks pretty cool with the big 70s style headstock and the matt finish was a bit different too.

The way it played wasn't revelatory (neck profile etc much the same as my Teles), it was the sound that grabbed me. It had two single coils and a humbucker, so really versatile. It's that sort of metallic jangle I like

I went traditional 3 SC on mine with a honey I think, scratchplate is mint green but photo doesn't pick it up to well 

20210622_151121.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I had a Strat at one stage - 50th Anniversary American. Imported it from the US in the earlyish days of Ebay popularity for about £500 if I remember correctly. It was a lovely guitar but it didn't really suit the band I was in at the time - the pickups weren't high enough output. 

When I first moved to London I was working for free and living on a friend's sofa and I was forced to sell it to pay him a bit of rent and be able to eat. Parted with it in a pub after advertising it on Gumtree for about £800 I think. Desperate times, man. That guy got a great deal. :nono:

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.35d32fcdefbd296044c091631711fbc7.JPG

They're all so expensive now. There are very few US made instruments the right side of a grand even second hand at the minute.

My USA Standard Tele was £570 brand new in 2002, and I bought another one a few years later secondhand for about £450.

It's not THAT long ago!

49 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They're all so expensive now. There are very few US made instruments the right side of a grand even second hand at the minute.

My USA Standard Tele was £570 brand new in 2002, and I bought another one a few years later secondhand for about £450.

It's not THAT long ago!

They are a tad on the pricey side agreed. Mine was 925 about 2 years ago, bit of a treat tbh!

• 2 weeks later...

Still enjoying learning and playing, started having lessons a couple of weeks ago and it’s pretty good for being taken outside your comfort zone and learning stuff I wouldn’t have thought of.

He has got me trying to learn Reggae and Ska, bloody hard learning just up strokes. Can’t quite get the technique in my head so I’m cheating and muting the strings on the down strum.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Flamey said:

So.....3rd kit.......not quite...but somewhere between Surf Green and Sonic Blue.....Sonic Green?:ph34r:

Screenshot_20210728-161628_Google.jpg

It's ok and closer than I ever thought we'd get, but would have been perfect with a white or black trim like in that image, the navy kind of ruins it a bit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's ok and closer than I ever thought we'd get, but would have been perfect with a white or black trim like in that image, the navy kind of ruins it a bit.

Yeah....I grabbed the wrong shirt pic! I'd have liked the white trim...but not with the black/blue FBS...I suppose the white would have made the sponsors/badge too obscure though.

11 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Yeah....I grabbed the wrong shirt pic! I'd have liked the white trim...but not with the black/blue FBS...I suppose the white would have made the sponsors/badge too obscure though.

The black would have worked, if you compare the photo above to the navy trim it’s far better. That shirt with black shorts (with a mint trim) would have been spot on.

12 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

The black would have worked, if you compare the photo above to the navy trim it’s far better. That shirt with black shorts (with a mint trim) would have been spot on.

Yep that would have been good. Anyhoo, to get things back to guitars, this is in honour of the 'great 3rd kit debate' currently raging!😉

Screenshot_20210728-171617_Chrome.jpg

• 1 month later...