Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdkessler

Should Leicester try this 3-4-3 formation next season?

Hi, I'm a new member to this site so nice to meet everyone. This is a topic that I've posted on the lcfc reddit yesterday:

I've copied it here:

For a while now, we have been using 4-4-2 but however, in my eyes, we seem to have some issues with it. Here are some that I can think of:

1. Albrighton playing on the left flank but his right foot is his strong foot. As a winger, it's best to play on the wing where your strong foot is.

2. Mahrez has too much defensive duties. 4-4-2 relies on defensive discipline to defend well. This means Mahrez has less opportunities to roam around looking for spaces in the opposition's defenses and thus, we waste his attacking talents by forcing him to defend more than he should.

3. We have multiple good left wingers. We can't play Gray if Albrighton and Mahrez is playing.

4. The midfield is sometimes outnumbered and overrun. This happened a lot before Ndidi came in and might happen again especially if he gets injured.

5. We seemed to be constantly hit on the break due to our slow centre-backs.

Those are some of the few issues I can think of. However, I feel that we can take inspiration from Chelsea and solve these issues.

First of all, we need to sign new centre-backs if we are to play 3 centre backs at all times.

Now for the formation, I'll start of with central midfield. A Drinkwater + Ndidi pairing is very similar to Chelsea's Kante + Matic pairing. They've proven to be very effective so not much to discuss there.

For the attacking three, we will have Vardy in the centre with Gray and Mahrez behind him. Just like with Hazard, Mahrez would get a lot of freedom in this formation and he would be given the license to roam to express his freedom. He would also have less defensive duties. Thus, problem 2 solved. With Gray beside him and Albrighton running down the sides, he would probably be marked less as well.

For the wingbacks, on the left, we can either have chilwell or Fuchs and on the right, we can play Albrighton. This is interesting because Albrighton actually has experience playing that role. What's better is that it suits his defensive nature better than just being a neutral winger. However, the best part, in my opinion, is that he's now playing on the right flank. That means he can utilize his stronger right foot for crosses much much better than when he was playing on the left. Problem 1 and 3 solved.

Now for the centre-backs, we do not know who we will sign just yet but here are some of the important factors that could make or break a back 3. We can play the best passer in the centre(like acerbi) to attempt to play the ball out of defense instead of just hoofing the ball back to the opposition. We would also like to play a left-footed player on the left of the back 3. Fuchs fits this bill so we can actually play him there and stick chilwell on left wing back duty. Now we'll also get Fuch's abilities on the ball in defense, his long throws and also play chilwell at the same time. I believe a back three, we should be able to solve problem 3 as opponents can't exactly cut through the centre anymore. It's much much harder to hit us on the break with a back 3 which seemed to be a recurring problem this season. Problem 5 solved. We will also have 3 tall centre backs in the box when we take and defend corners.

So, it could look something like this:

----------------Vardy------------------

------Gray------------Mahrez------

----------Ndidi----Drinky-----------

-Chillwell------------Albrighton-

--------Fuchs---CB---CB----------

-------------------GK-------------------

CB = centre-backs

GK = goalkeeper

Summary:

1. We get Mahrez, albrighton, and gray all playing at the same time playing at their best positions and Albrighton gets to use his right foot.

2. We can solidify our defense with a back 3, playing a 5-4-1 when not in possession.

3. We are far harder to hit on the break.

4. We can play a midfield very similar to Chelsea's 16/17 midfield as we have very similar players.

5. Mahrez is relieved of some defensive duties and can focus more on attacking and gets a license to roam.

6. We get to use both Fuchs and chilwell at the same time. Fuch's long throws can still be played every match while getting a talented young wing-back in chilwell.

7. We have 3 centre backs to attack and defend corners.

8. Mahrez could potentially be marked less compared to this season.

Please note that this is all my opinion and it may be right or it may be wrong. I just feel like we should really try this in preseason because it just seems absolutely tailor-made for the squad we have ATM.

What do you guys think? Constructive criticism is welcome.

EDIT:

Alternate Formation:

------------Ulloa/Slimani--------------

------Vardy------------Mahrez------

As suggested by Captain..., this formation could potentially be more devastating as we have an added target man to make long balls and crosses more dangerous. The formation could also be more unpredictable.

EDIT:

Here's a great article on 3-4-3 tactical analysis for those who are interested:

Conte's 3-4-3 Analysis

Welcome to Foxestalk.

I don't think this will happen, interesting theory though.  Some of the difficulties could be as follows:

1.  I think it unlikely that both Morgan and Huth will be dropped and Fuchs was a stand-in CB.  Unless Shakey is willing to radically rearrange the defence this is unlikely to happen.  I'll be watching the transfers with interest though.

2.  For that formation to work effectively we'd need a creative midfielder.  Both Drinky and Ndidi have their attributes but don't really fit that role, so we'd need to buy.

3.  I expect Mahrez to leave this summer so we'd need to plan a side without him.

4.  We've had success with a high energy game which Shinji fits well into, neither Gray nor Mahrez look likely to be able to take on that role, their talents lie elsewhere.

We've had success because we've been different and have played to our strengths.  We don't have the talent to copy teams like Chelsea using their style.  I'd be happier for us to develop the squad but continue with the style and formation that has brought us success.

29 minutes ago, sdkessler said:
----------------Vardy------------------

------Gray------------Mahrez------

CB = centre-backs

Thanks for clarifying that, for a moment i thought you were suggesting we sign Chris Brown as a like for like replacement for Danny Simpson!

3 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Welcome to Foxestalk.

I don't think this will happen, interesting theory though.  Some of the difficulties could be as follows:

1.  I think it unlikely that both Morgan and Huth will be dropped and Fuchs was a stand-in CB.  Unless Shakey is willing to radically rearrange the defence this is unlikely to happen.  I'll be watching the transfers with interest though.

2.  For that formation to work effectively we'd need a creative midfielder.  Both Drinky and Ndidi have their attributes but don't really fit that role, so we'd need to buy.

3.  I expect Mahrez to leave this summer so we'd need to plan a side without him.

4.  We've had success with a high energy game which Shinji fits well into, neither Gray nor Mahrez look likely to be able to take on that role, their talents lie elsewhere.

We've had success because we've been different and have played to our strengths.  We don't have the talent to copy teams like Chelsea using their style.  I'd be happier for us to develop the squad but continue with the style and formation that has brought us success.

I do understand what you mean by playing our own style. However, we don't have to change our style but we can change our formation to cover our weaknesses as it's pretty obvious that teams are countering our exact style ATM by double marking Mahrez and CBs sitting slightly deeper than Vardy.

1. Huth and Morgan's doesn't have to be dropped. We can play them. I've left the slots open because I have no idea who's coming in as tactically, there may be better options.

2. We do not need a forward creative player in midfield as we only play 2 midfielders. The two playmakers are Gray and Mahrez. Having a midfielder move too far forward will occupy the space Mahrez and Gray is supposed to occupy. Therefore, Drinkwater will play the role of "deep-lying playmaker" by dictating play from deeper.

3. Tactic still works without Mahrez as we can sign a replacement or just give gray the floating role instead.

4. That role doesn't require high energy. It requires dribbling skills, long range finishing and creativity. All 3 attributes that Gray and Mahrez have an abundance of.

Actually, I would disagree on your statement that we do not have talents. If you take the players in my formation and compare it with the same players in Chelsea's squad, we are even. Drinkwater +Ndidi is comparable to kante+matic. Hazard+Pedro is comparable to Mahrez+Gray. Vardy is as good if not better than Costa. Chelsea's wingbacks, Victor Moses+Marcos Alonso aren't exactly superstars as well. Chilwell+Albrighton could compare. The only difference is in the centre backs. Theirs are faster.

Three at the back, given the right personnel, has a lot to be said for it however we might adjust it, and you make a good, defensible, case. And 4-4-2 makes us decidedly vulnerable at times because, without Shinji making it 4/4.5/1.5 we're exposed in the centre of midfield whatever we do.

Several factors concern me. We still don't have anyone in your line-up to take advantage of Albrighton's crosses and it's almost only from crosses that the team you've outlined could hope to come up with goals.

Gray remains a weakness. I've not noticed that he can cross effectively from his left foot, any more than Albrighton and I don't see him as a substantial goal threat in any case. As stated before, he's like a clockwork toy that winds down inside half-an-hour and I also see him as weak with his choice and execution of a final pass.

So altogether you've presented a team with only two regular scorers and very few others who are more than occasionals. It wouldn't be enough for me and I'd include Drinkwater alongside Gray as a weakness in that respect.

To retain our pace on the break we'd effectively be playing 5-4-1 far more than 3-4-3 and that wouldn't help preserve our current once formidable strength 

and my final point concerns our centre-backs. Everyone seems to assume we need replacements for both Huth and Morgan but I'm not at all convinced it's that simple because I'd be loathe to lose our aerial strength for the sake of more mobility at the back.

People forget that Huth and Morgan are extremely capable in a full-strength side and out end-of-season injuries only emphasised how hard it will be to replace them effectively.

For me two things are imperative. First that we retain our extreme pace on the break and that means getting a genuinely swift and effective natural left-winger.and, second, we need more creativity/goals threat in central midfield without losing our ability to compete and win the ball quickly.

I'd possibly try to fashion this around a supercharged but maleable 3-5-2 system but it really depends on who we sign.  It might even be better to consider getting a more goals effective Shinji and sticking with the current system which I've long considered to be 4/4.5/1.5 but which has been extremely effective when at full-strength and would only require us improving on what is "full strength".

We need to remember what made us champions - by a distance - and why. . 

28 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

4. That role doesn't require high energy. It requires dribbling skills, long range finishing and creativity. All 3 attributes that Gray and Mahrez have an abundance of

But if we don't play a high energy pressing game through out the team then you are talking about completely changing our identity.  It didn't work when Ranieri tried it, and playing any other way limits one of Vardy's strengths. We can afford Mahrez because he will press from the front, but that is not his strengths whereas Shinji and Albrighton  work their socks off pressing the back line with Vardy that gives us an edge. Mahrez and Gray in free roles wouldn't work. One or the other alongside a hard worker could.

It could be Big Slim as a target man and Vardy and Mahrez/Gray feeding off him, think back to the end of the great escape when we played:

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Wasilewski

Albrighton -------------------Schlupp

Cambiasso King

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

We had a very fluid dynamic front 3, there was no set position, Ulloa would pop on the wing, Mahrez would play furthest forward, Vardy would drop deep and all 3 played different roles and had a good understanding.

Obviously we need to sign some centre backs, but assuming current squad and all fit:

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Benny

Albrighton -------------------Chilwell

Ndidi Drinky

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

I was going to put Slimani in, but I prefer Ulloa at the moment, although he is most likely leaving, Gray is Mahrez back up, Shinji is Vardy back up, Slimani is Ulloa back up. Fuchs could play CB, but probably doesn't have the legs to be a wing back.

The key to this formation is Albrighton and Chilwell, they need to do the role of 2 players, and we would need someone to play those roles if they are not available, I would say a cheeky bid for Kyle Naughton and lets bring Schluppy home...

22 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

hi, I'm interested in this 3-4-1-2. Mind linking me or explaining how it works with the leicester system.

We used the 3-4-1-2 for the last 6 months of the 2014/2015 season.

2015/2016 season, we used it here and there when we were chasing games.

2016/2017 season, we used it in the second half against Atletico.

Basically, 3-4-1-2 is a viable plan B option for us when we are chasing games. Shakespeare and the players are familiar with this system. It's an attack minded formation. 4-4-1-1 is more effective as plan A though, because it gives the team balance.

3 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Three at the back, given the right personnel, has a lot to be said for it however we might adjust it, and you make a good, defensible, case. And 4-4-2 makes us decidedly vulnerable at times because, without Shinji making it 4/4.5/1.5 we're exposed in the centre of midfield whatever we do.

Several factors concern me. We still don't have anyone in your line-up to take advantage of Albrighton's crosses and it's almost only from crosses that the team you've outlined could hope to come up with goals.

Gray remains a weakness. I've not noticed that he can cross effectively from his left foot, any more than Albrighton and I don't see him as a substantial goal threat in any case. As stated before, he's like a clockwork toy that winds down inside half-an-hour and I also see him as weak with his choice and execution of a final pass.

So altogether you've presented a team with only two regular scorers and very few others who are more than occasionals. It wouldn't be enough for me and I'd include Drinkwater alongside Gray as a weakness in that respect.

To retain our pace on the break we'd effectively be playing 5-4-1 far more than 3-4-3 and that wouldn't help preserve our current once formidable strength 

and my final point concerns our centre-backs. Everyone seems to assume we need replacements for both Huth and Morgan but I'm not at all convinced it's that simple because I'd be loathe to lose our aerial strength for the sake of more mobility at the back.

People forget that Huth and Morgan are extremely capable in a full-strength side and out end-of-season injuries only emphasised how hard it will be to replace them effectively.

For me two things are imperative. First that we retain our extreme pace on the break and that means getting a genuinely swift and effective natural left-winger.and, second, we need more creativity/goals threat in central midfield without losing our ability to compete and win the ball quickly.

I'd possibly try to fashion this around a supercharged but maleable 3-5-2 system but it really depends on who we sign.  It might even be better to consider getting a more goals effective Shinji and sticking with the current system which I've long considered to be 4/4.5/1.5 but which has been extremely effective when at full-strength and would only require us improving on what is "full strength".

We need to remember what made us champions - by a distance - and why. . 

Thanks for the constructive response. I do agree on preferring Aerial strength over pace most of the time but if we play a back 3, I would prefer to have at least one fast defender to clear the through balls. I certainly prefer Huth + Morgan over new random signings but they're aging so it's becoming necessary to sign backups.

Also agree that Gray can be a weakness due to his inexperience. Skill-wise though, no problem. It may take time but he'll be deadly eventually.

As for albrighton's crosses, this was one of the problems I pondered upon for a long time. I even though about putting Slimani in the middle but I had to settle for Vardy. it's still quite similar to the current Leicester in terms of aerial threat as okazaki and vardy isn't much of a threat in the air atm. However, if we play Ndidi in a box-to-box role, we can utilize his aerial presence when coming in for crosses.

3-5-2 is interesting though but I was considering the lack of central attacking midfielders.

I thought we should give this a go when we were floundering mid-season, but Shakey turned it round. While it certainly has merit, let's not forget that we won the league and arguably had a few months of title-winning form at the end of this season playing 4-4-2. I don't think Shakespeare will want to radically overhaul that, but on the other hand he will have seen how three at the back helped us at the end of 14/15.

The wide players are key in a 3-4-3 and Albrighton, Chilwell and Fuchs could all be great in that system but Simpson is not really suited so we'd need another high class right wing-back. I have high hopes for Matty James coming back and (if fit) Mendy could potentially do well as a deeper lying midfielder. We obviously would need at least two new CBs - arguably we already do - but with the players mentioned plus the likes of Lawrence and Barnes coming through then we potentially have the squad to make this work. 

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But if we don't play a high energy pressing game through out the team then you are talking about completely changing our identity.  It didn't work when Ranieri tried it, and playing any other way limits one of Vardy's strengths. We can afford Mahrez because he will press from the front, but that is not his strengths whereas Shinji and Albrighton  work their socks off pressing the back line with Vardy that gives us an edge. Mahrez and Gray in free roles wouldn't work. One or the other alongside a hard worker could.

It could be Big Slim as a target man and Vardy and Mahrez/Gray feeding off him, think back to the end of the great escape when we played:

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Wasilewski

Cambiasso King

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

We had a very fluid dynamic front 3, there was no set position, Ulloa would pop on the wing, Mahrez would play furthest forward, Vardy would drop deep and all 3 played different roles and had a good understanding.

Obviously we need to sign some centre backs, but assuming current squad and all fit:

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Benny

Ndidi Drinky

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

I was going to put Slimani in, but I prefer Ulloa at the moment, although he is most likely leaving, Gray is Mahrez back up, Shinji is Vardy back up, Slimani is Ulloa back up. Fuchs could play CB, but probably doesn't have the legs to be a wing back.

The key to this formation is Albrighton and Chilwell, they need to do the role of 2 players, and we would need someone to play those roles if they are not available, I would say a cheeky bid for Kyle Naughton and lets bring Schluppy home...

Thanks for the input. yes, that sounds really good to me. I did think of that formation. I just hesitated on playing vardy slightly to the side.

Just now, Sooper Steve's shin said:

I thought we should give this a go when we were floundering mid-season, but Shakey turned it round. While it certainly has merit, let's not forget that we won the league and arguably had a few months of title-winning form at the end of this season playing 4-4-2. I don't think Shakespeare will want to radically overhaul that, but on the other hand he will have seen how three at the back helped us at the end of 14/15.

The wide players are key in a 3-4-3 and Albrighton, Chilwell and Fuchs could all be great in that system but Simpson is not really suited so we'd need another high class right wing-back. I have high hopes for Matty James coming back and (if fit) Mendy could potentially do well as a deeper lying midfielder. We obviously would need at least two new CBs - arguably we already do - but with the players mentioned plus the likes of Lawrence and Barnes coming through then we potentially have the squad to make this work. 

Hi, and thanks for the input. I agree with sticking with the tried and tested but i still think we should at least try it out in preseason where there's no harm done. Yes, I've excluded simpson as he's more full-back than wing-back. We should sign a replacement. Could look at young options like Felix Passlack but I think more experienced ones are better. I need to research more players on this role to give more input though.

8 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

I do understand what you mean by playing our own style. However, we don't have to change our style but we can change our formation to cover our weaknesses as it's pretty obvious that teams are countering our exact style ATM by double marking Mahrez and CBs sitting slightly deeper than Vardy.

1. Huth and Morgan's doesn't have to be dropped. We can play them. I've left the slots open because I have no idea who's coming in as tactically, there may be better options.

2. We do not need a forward creative player in midfield as we only play 2 midfielders. The two playmakers are Gray and Mahrez. Having a midfielder move too far forward will occupy the space Mahrez and Gray is supposed to occupy. Therefore, Drinkwater will play the role of "deep-lying playmaker" by dictating play from deeper.

3. Tactic still works without Mahrez as we can sign a replacement or just give gray the floating role instead.

4. That role doesn't require high energy. It requires dribbling skills, long range finishing and creativity. All 3 attributes that Gray and Mahrez have an abundance of.

Actually, I would disagree on your statement that we do not have talents. If you take the players in my formation and compare it with the same players in Chelsea's squad, we are even. Drinkwater +Ndidi is comparable to kante+matic. Hazard+Pedro is comparable to Mahrez+Gray. Vardy is as good if not better than Costa. Chelsea's wingbacks, Victor Moses+Marcos Alonso aren't exactly superstars as well. Chilwell+Albrighton could compare. The only difference is in the centre backs. Theirs are faster.

So you leave two CB spots open as you don't know who's coming in. That could be said for every position.

Just now, sylofox said:

So you leave two CB spots open as you don't know who's coming in. That could be said for every position.

That's because I think that every other spot seems settled and the players already work well with the system. I'm not too sure about the centre-backs so I left it open. Feel free to fill it in if you can find the best combination.

8 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

Thanks for the input. yes, that sounds really good to me. I did think of that formation. I just hesitated on playing vardy slightly to the side.

Vardy wouldn't be to the side, the front 3 would rotate and move around creating space and just be an absolute nightmare, that is how those 3 played in the great escape. Vardy dropping one minute, pulling out wide the next and then he would be on the shoulder of the last man a few minutes later. What really impressed me was how good Ulloa was in this role, chasing people down drifting out to the wing for Kasper's long passes and even dropping deep to help out the defence. Vardy is great on the shoulder of the last man, but if he spends all game there it gets predictable.

Just now, Captain... said:

Vardy wouldn't be to the side, the front 3 would rotate and move around creating space and just be an absolute nightmare, that is how those 3 played in the great escape. Vardy dropping one minute, pulling out wide the next and then he would be on the shoulder of the last man a few minutes later. What really impressed me was how good Ulloa was in this role, chasing people down drifting out to the wing for Kasper's long passes and even dropping deep to help out the defence. Vardy is great on the shoulder of the last man, but if he spends all game there it gets predictable.

right. Thanks. I was way too rigid in my thinking. I wasn't thinking of swapping positions when I thought this up.

51 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Wasilewski

Cambiasso King

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

Schmeichel

Morgan Huth Benny

Ndidi Drinky

Vardy Ulloa Mahrez

My main concern there would be getting slaughter down our right flank. Albrighton a willing supplementary defender but he's not a right back and Morgan's much too vulnerable if he's exposed out wide - as would our central defence be if he were by-passed. 

Vardy with Slimani or Ulloa and Mahrez is something of a dream ticket but would leave us too weak defensively against an ever-increasing number of teams. Contering from the back is much more what we're capable of and is much less risky in terms of conceding. 

Again, I also see Benny as a weakness particularly in terms of giving free-kicks away in risky areas. For me he's never shown the consistency to be a regular and for all that he's personally competitive he's just outmuscled by some of more dangerous players due to one or other of height, strength, pace or patience problems.           

3 minutes ago, Thracian said:

My main concern there would be getting slaughter down our right flank. Albrighton a willing supplementary defender but he's not a right back and Morgan's much too vulnerable if he's exposed out wide - as would our central defence be if he were by-passed. 

Vardy with Slimani or Ulloa and Mahrez is something of a dream ticket but would leave us too weak defensively against an ever-increasing number of teams. Contering from the back is much more what we're capable of and is much less risky in terms of conceding. 

Again, I also see Benny as a weakness particularly in terms of giving free-kicks away in risky areas. For me he's never shown the consistency to be a regular and for all that he's personally competitive he's just outmuscled by some of more dangerous players due to one or other of height, strength, pace or patience problems.           

that's a valid concern. However, the 3-4-3 when attacking would leave a midfielder behind(4 men defending, 6 attacking) and in this case, it would be ndidi. He should be temporarily covering either flanks should a counter attack come from the flanks. Also, by playing 3 CBs, the right CB can drift to the right to assist albrighton in defending their left midfielder if needed as there would still be 2 CBs left to defend crosses. But I do agree, the wings are generally a weakness of the 3-4-3 as we need good wing-backs. Albrighton already plays the role of a defensive winger quite well and thats very similar to a wing back. Also, he won't be playing as a right back. He'll be playing as a wing back slightly higher up the pitch compared to a traditional right back.

all these figure and stuff hurts eyes.

The best formation, is a winning one....

Through experience over the years, without wanting to digress.

Its worked so far, just ask all those teams who win with it..!!

By the way, welcome bub..!!   To the mystical, weird and wonderful world of foxestalk:D

28 minutes ago, Thracian said:

It worked for the great escape, but then we were playing teams with nothing to play for. I would also expect us to sign some CBs.

I wouldn't be too worried about the right flank, Albrighton works has balls off and all he needs to do is just stop them cutting inside, drive them down the wing and put pressure on the cross. The 3 CBs should be able to deal with any crosses coming in and if one has to step out to cover the space, there are still 2 CBs in there. Look at Arsenal on Saturday, it was a pure make shift defence, but it works if everyone puts a shift in. We would also have Ndidi covering the gaps to stop us being exposed.

Archived