Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’m grateful for every day that the ‘special voice in my head’ doesn’t belong to Michael Gove.

I was at the Chelsea game and as we left we walked through a crowd going right out the away end, Gove and his child were there, someone took a selfie with him and then got stuck trying to leave with the oncoming people.

Someone shouted 'bet you thought exiting would be a lot easier than it's turning out to be Michael'.

Made me chuckle. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can't believe the Tories are still doing nothing about this, Thatcher got people owning homes and they held office for nearly 20 years. It doesn't only help people but it makes political sense.

Homeowners overwhelmingly vote Conservative and they don't want to create them, it's genuinely puzzling. 

I know. It's what confuses me most. Labour have a huge lead with the young. It generally peters out through age groups until tory voters take over. The point in life at which people are financially secure has been hit massively in recent years to the point that it's supposedly acknowledged as close to an existential crisis by the Tories. Yet they are doing absolutely nothing to help younger voters bar throwing the odd minor and very limited bone like stamp duty. This is why I think they're genuinely bereft of ideas and adrift.

Edited by Guest

It's kind of obvious. The tories get most of their seats in rural areas and the rural areas don't want new houses being built in their backyard. Do you alienate your core vote on the chance that you might get some votes from new house buyers?

We need more houses definitely but there isn't any cost free solution.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It's kind of obvious. The tories get most of their seats in rural areas and the rural areas don't want new houses being built in their backyard. Do you alienate your core vote on the chance that you might get some votes from new house buyers?

We need more houses definitely but there isn't any cost free solution.

The nimbys need to be told to f off. Ultimately, they'd still vote tory anyway. If buggering up the health service they overwhelmingly use makes no difference building a few houses for their grandkids shouldn't.

This should infuriate the Brexiters too. It would make the exit much easier and potentially give them something to throw at us remainders if we got these deals sorted. This government is incompetent at everything. DD has shown himself to be a compete embarrassment also.

UK too slow in making its Brexit demands for trade, say EU diplomats

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/25/uk-too-slow-in-making-its-brexit-demands-for-trade-say-eu-diplomats?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

57 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can't believe the Tories are still doing nothing about this, Thatcher got people owning homes and they held office for nearly 20 years. It doesn't only help people but it makes political sense.

Homeowners overwhelmingly vote Conservative and they don't want to create them, it's genuinely puzzling. 

Its because they dont know what they’re doing.

Constantly firefighting stupid situations created by Boris and Davis and not actually getting anything done.  Relying on ‘Well what did Labour do 7 years ago’ will lose them the next election.

Just to clarify, Labour wont win it, the Tories will lose votes and hand it to them.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

The nimbys need to be told to f off. Ultimately, they'd still vote tory anyway. If buggering up the health service they overwhelmingly use makes no difference building a few houses for their grandkids shouldn't.

A lot of these NIMBYS aren't Tory.

You seem to forget sometimes we now live in a country where Kensington and Canterbury are Labour seats and Stockton, Stoke and Mansfield are Conservative. 

The Yougov election analysis showed a small swing towards the Tories from the working class and a larger swing to Labour from the middle classes.

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

The Yougov election analysis showed a small swing towards the Tories from the working class and a larger swing to Labour from the middle classes.

Fake news. Poor people vote Labour. People with wealth vote Conservative. If you have wealth you aren’t working class.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Fake news. Poor people vote Labour. People with wealth vote Conservative. If you have wealth you aren’t working class.

Are you stuck in 1975? How do you explain the seat changes I mentioned? I thought you were joking when you claimed the rise of Corbyn was a working revolution. 

"As noted at the start of the campaign, the class divide in British politics seems to have closed and it is no longer a very good indicator of voting intention. Despite dramatic voter movements towards Labour over the past few weeks this theme has held reasonably consistent: Labour is now 4% behind amongst ABC1 voters and 2% behind amongst C2DE voters"

There is barely any difference between the way the classes vote now.

Screenshot_2018-01-25-19-24-34.png

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Are you stuck in 1975? How do you explain the seat changes I mentioned? I thought you were joking when you claimed the rise of Corbyn was a working revolution. 

"As noted at the start of the campaign, the class divide in British politics seems to have closed and it is no longer a very good indicator of voting intention. Despite dramatic voter movements towards Labour over the past few weeks this theme has held reasonably consistent: Labour is now 4% behind amongst ABC1 voters and 2% behind amongst C2DE voters"

There is barely any difference between the way the classes vote now.

You’re stuck in the 80’s. NRS social grading takes no account into what wealth people have. If everyone worked for what they earn it would be an applicable model but there are decorators with assets and doctors with none. You aren’t working class if you have other assets except for your work.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

You’re stuck in the 80’s. NRS social grading takes no account into what wealth people have. If everyone worked for what they earn it would be an applicable model but there are decorators with assets and doctors with none. You aren’t working class if you have other assets except for your work.

So how do you explain the seat changes I mention? 

Do we need to tell Sham 69 to start touring Canterbury and Kensington and get the Bullingdon Club relocated to Mansfield?

My Labour mate went to see Corbyn in York and he said was more middle class than a do we went to at the Masonic Lodge on London Road a few years back.

Just look at Corbyn's inner circle, it's a who's who of the North London Guardian bourgeois.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

So how do you explain the seat changes I mention? 

Do we need to tell Sham 69 to start touring Canterbury and Kensington and get the Bullingdon Club relocated to Mansfield?

My Labour mate went to see Corbyn in York and he said was more middle class than a do we went to at the Masonic Lodge on London Road a few years back.

If Canterbury has a large student population who have no assets then it makes sense that the seat goes Labour. If Kensington has had an influx of minorities and immigrants who have no assets it makes sense for the seat to go Labour. If Mansfield’s younger population, who have no assets, moves away from the town and leave their parents, who have assets whether they have a flat cap and a whippet or not, it makes sense for the seat to go Conservative.

35 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

If Canterbury has a large student population who have no assets then it makes sense that the seat goes Labour. If Kensington has had an influx of minorities and immigrants who have no assets it makes sense for the seat to go Labour. If Mansfield’s younger population, who have no assets, moves away from the town and leave their parents, who have assets whether they have a flat cap and a whippet or not, it makes sense for the seat to go Conservative.

That's seriously good spin I'll give you that.

If you were middle class you'd probably be an advisor to a shadow cabinet minister, you should pitch your definitions to the polling companies and ask if they'll change them.

Even my mate "posh George" would be working class under this, he'd love it.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

A lot of these NIMBYS aren't Tory.

You seem to forget sometimes we now live in a country where Kensington and Canterbury are Labour seats and Stockton, Stoke and Mansfield are Conservative. 

All nimbys should be told to f off.

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

To be honest, I hope they don't.

Tory MPs considering coup against May as frustration builds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/25/tory-mps-considering-coup-against-may-as-frustration-builds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Never has been so obvious we have too many people ready to post Guardian links on here.

As for the article, it can't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Never has been so obvious we have too many people ready to post Guardian links on here.

As for the article, it can't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Sorry, I'm out and just glanced at news, hadn't looked before posting. 

Don’t apologise toddy. Matt can’t stand it when people apologise.

• Haha 1

Pigeons are renowned for their outstanding navigational abilities. They use a range of skills, such as using the sun as a guide and an internal ‘magnetic compass’. A study at Oxford University found that they will also use landmarks as signposts and will travel along man-made roads and motorways, even changing direction at junctions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1